Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Why is it 'okay' to be bigoted/hateful toward Christians?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Zyni, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Zyni Bacteria

With political correctness being way over the top in most areas, why is it okay to bash/hate Christians?

I have seen some of the nastiest comments at and about Christians that if directed toward any other group would cause outrage like we've never known. How does that work?

While I don't really buy into the idea of policing thought, I don't see how you can have it both ways.

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

It's not okay. I do at times speak negatively about the institutions of religion but I try to not say anything negative about any individual's preference for any particular religion/spirituality.

I will voice my disagreement in a discussion that speaks of the supernatural but I will do this with any religion. I am, after all, an Atheist.

My best friend is a Christian. We discuss the philosophy of our belief systems. (And there are a lot of commonalities.)

Zyni likes this.
  3. Zyni Bacteria

Yeah, disagreement, debate, discussion, is all good. Voicing your opinion is one thing, but bashing is quite another. I've seen people get seriously ugly over it, going so far as making personal attacks. That would not be tolerated towards other groups.

The thing is I don't get offended easily, so if I'm even offended, it was truly ugly. When called on it though, the attackers usually don't have much to say.

jimbob likes this.
  4. Believer Bacteria

It does seem like there is a lot of hatred and offense directed at Christians nowadays. I remember reading in the Bible (many years ago) that Christians would be among the most hated of all people, and back then, it didn't' make any sense to me at all how that could ever even happen.
    Christians were the people who sent missionaries to help in under-developed nations, they were the ones who started rescue missions and food kitchens to help feed the poor and homeless.
    America itself was known as a "Christian nation", and we were the country that sent aid to where it was needed in times of famines, flooding, earthquakes, and just about any disaster where people needed some kind of help.
    Our country was perceived as the home of Liberty, and the place where everyone wanted to come to escape religious persecution, as well as to make a better life for themselves.
    Christian people were known for their kindness to other people in the community in many ways, and it was hard for me to see all of this and try to imagine how we, as Christians, could be hated in the future.

Now, that day has come, and even though most of the Christian people still hold these same moral and spiritual guidelines and beliefs, we are seen differently by people of other religions, and by people who do not believe in God at all. The persecution is worse in other countries, but even here in the United States, it seems to be growing. Christians are hated not for what they believe in as much as just the simple fact that they do believe.
    I understand that each person will have their own belief about whether God exists, and if he exists, what he expects of us, and why we are even here in the first place. We should all have a right to believe , or to not believe, and I think that it is good to talk with each other about what we believe and why. There is always something that we can learn, assuming that we have an open mind and are searching for truth, regardless of what that truth actually turns out to be.
    But hating a whole group of people because of their religious belief is just wrong to me, whether that group of people are Christians, Jewish, Muslims, Native Americans, or even non-believers in any religion at all.

Sweed2, Zyni and jimbob like this.
  5. Zyni Bacteria

Great post, @Believer. Well said. I know what you mean about not understanding how it would come to pass. I believed it, but I didn't really comprehend how it would happen.

Yes, everyone has their own beliefs, and a right to those beliefs. In many cases, those rights are defended. It seems that all bets are off when it comes to Christians though. I'm appalled by some of the things people say. As I mentioned, if they talked that way to anyone else, they'd be branded a bigot (or worse).

I am of the same mind. I like to discuss and debate anyway, so I'm always open to it. It's unlikely that someone will change the way I think and feel and believe, but that doesn't mean they have nothing to say. I can still learn from them, even if the only thing I learn is why they believe the way they do (and to me, that's interesting).

I just don't understand the hatred.

Believer likes this.
  6. Sweed2 Molecule

I don't think it is ever okay to bash someone else's religion. We all have been raised to believe a certain way as children and may as we get older change our belief systems, but we all should be able to discuss our differences and accept each other in peaceful manners without hate in our hearts.

The Bible talks about the last days where many will turn away from God, and there will be great upheaval and many things of evil nature will pass throughout the world. Many believe we are in those last days as we are divided as peoples as never before in history. Many feel that these people who are filled with hate and destruction are doing the devils work.

I find this whole matter to be frighting, as well as, a time to bind together with like- mined other people and try to ride out this storm of hate and evil, in a civilized and calm manner. What say you?

Believer likes this.
  7. haivu721vn Atom

It's not Ok to bash someone's religion at all. However, it's normal for someone to say he/she have no belief in that religion.
    It's true that many country's politican are insulting religions publicly. They think it's Ok for them to do so. But that's just what themselves think after all.

8. jimbob Cat Moderator

I just want to add that I do discuss the philosophy of various religions. When I am confronted with something that appears to be illogical I will challenge the concept. If something is contradictory to reality I will challenge it. It may seem that I might be bashing the religion but that's not the truth; I am just looking for the truth in reality regardless of what book or belief is being discussed.

Believer likes this.
  9. Zyni Bacteria

Certainly. I am the same way. I'm not real shy about speaking my mind.

There is a huge difference between challenging beliefs and being absolutely hateful and nasty. Like I said, I don't get offended easily. I'm not going to get touchy because someone questions something. It's the way they do it that I sometimes take issue with. When they start out with insults, name calling, cursing, and trolling, I don't consider that "discussion."

People can discuss, debate, and even disagree without getting down in the dirt.

jimbob likes this.
  10. Selena Bacteria

Some christians are very nice people while others are lying hypocrites and those are the ones that disgust me.

They probably disgust their God also....of course they don't see it.

jimbob likes this.
  11. kingcool52 Molecule

I'm a christian myself although I wouldn't say a very good one in terms of following all the stuff. I think the main reason why a lot of people are hateful towards Christians are because a few people are bigoted or hateful towards other peoples beliefs. Why should a christian be hateful towards another religion or someone who doesn't believe in God? That's their choice and they should be able to believe that because it's their life.

jimbob likes this.
  12. Working Buck Molecule

I won't be bashing Catholics or Born Again Christians as they call them. I have some friends who are part of these Religion, they are good people as I've been through ups and downs with them. Maybe, other part or members of these Religions are the reason why they are being bashed. An example is this, in my country, Catholic priests have millions of investments in the stock market, they hate the president's drug campaign. Every time there is a drug lord who dropped dead or went to jail because of what he is doing, these f**king priests would say "stop killing innocent people!" But if a police officer dies because of drug bust that went wrong they won't even react. Would you love what these priests are doing? Why do they care a lot about drug pushers but won't say any word when innocent people die because of drugs?
    About these Born Again Christians, I've seen and met a lot of pastors who just make a lot of money out of their churches and most of their members starve. All I hear every Sunday is "Give! And you will be given a lot more!" The f**k with that! How would I even give if I don't even have anything? Then they get surprised if they get bashed somewhere.

13. KenBrace Bird Administrator

What I've never understood is why liberals are so quick to bash Christians but will defend Muslims to their dying breath. It makes no sense. I can understand being against Christianity since it tends to oppose liberal values, but Islam is by far the most anti-liberal force on the planet. If you're going to hate Christians then you should hate Muslims even more.

jimbob likes this.
  14. Jason76 Cat Moderator

The Christian thing has an added racial element. It's not really just about Christians but white Republicans feel under siege. Of course, in such a hateful scenario it's difficult to say who threw the first stone. One group hates, then the other hates back, in a cycle.

However, it can be said that an extreme socially liberal agenda has sparked a lot of the backlash.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    jimbob likes this.