Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Why are psychedelics illegal?

Discussion in 'Other' started by KenBrace, Nov 5, 2016.

1. jimbob Cat Moderator

No, it's not the same. But some people wouldn't even know the difference.

2. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

The reason the drugs are illegal, and the reason that so little research has been done on the possible uses of various recreational drugs, is that Congress classified all the hallucinogenic drugs as narcotics, along with cocaine and heroin. They also banned research into medical uses of these drugs. This was done... hmm, probably during the 1960s or very early 1970s. I'm fairly sure it was not earlier than 1965. At any rate, it doesn't go back all that far in time. It was in reaction to the sudden surge of multi-drug use in the 1960s.

Yes, it was misguided -- as was much of the recreational drug use. Criminalizing heroin and cocaine was a mistake also, because it placed the supply of these two drugs in the hands of criminal syndicates, and it left the purity of the drug completely uncontrolled. Whether you were injecting cocaine with or without strychnine or something else was anybody's guess.

I don't approve of the use of cocaine, heroin, LSD, meth, ecstasy, and a dozen other drugs, but it would be better public health policy if users could obtain bona fide, pure drugs and use them in safe and sanitary surroundings. Some cities (mostly not in the US) have set up 'shooting galleries where pure (clean) heroin is provided, along with sterile syringes, and a warm (or cool) place to experience the drug.

High powered pain killers are currently epidemic, and were largely obtained through health care channels. That's changing. But whether the pain killers were obtained from a pharmacy or a dealer on the street, the drugs were intensely addictive and the difference between a "proper dose" and a fatal dose wasn't all that great. The death toll from the pain killers is really quite high now. So, legality and cleanliness is no guarantee of safety.

jimbob likes this.
  3. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Pot, cocaine and heroin banning was actually motivated by race, as the banning of such drugs hurt groups deemed to be a threat to jobs.

jimbob likes this.
  4. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

Please explain your reasoning here at a bit greater length.

5. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Heroin was used by Chinese, a threat in the railroad era and afterward. Mexicans used pot and were considered a threat. Blacks were a cheap labor force and used cocaine. Cocaine and pot, at least, made the workers more productive. For instance, pot killed the boredom of doing monotonous work all day.

6. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

Opium doesn't seem to have prevented the Chinese from getting our railroads built. Maybe they weren't smoking all that much? Like a lot of drugs, the effect is dose dependent. BTW, they weren't using heroin. That was invented by the Bayer Chemical Co. of Wuppertal Germany in 1898. Heroin was derived from Morphine which is made from Opium, which can be smoked, and is a "raw plant" substance.

Quite a few Hmong in Minnesota have small plots of opium which they grow, mostly for medicinal purposes. Older people smoke for pain relief. (this is information from 1995 -- don't know if it is still true.)

Cocaine hydrochloride was discovered in 1862, and by the latter part of the 19th century, early 20th, had found many uses as a anesthetic, a stimulant, an early ingredient in Coca Cola, and was being used widely.

Marijuana became common after the 1910 Revolution in Mexico, and after many people from Mexico came to the US.

The Somalis like to chew khat -- its a leaf of a plant that has either mild stimulant or mild tranquilizing effects -- don't remember which. The Andean Mountain people chewed coca leaves to give them the energy to get up and do what needed to be done at high altitudes. They added a pinch of lime (the mineral, calcium oxide, not the citrus) to the chaw to help extract the cocaine.

7. Jason76 Cat Moderator

I don't think the majority of non-white workers were using the stuff, but the minority gave the majority an excuse to crack down.

8. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

Whether occasional use of hallucinogens is "good" or "bad" depends on how often one uses them, what kind of setting one uses them in, what one mixes them with, and what one expects to happen. So I have heard, at least. I haven't experimented very much, and I don't circulate among people who are tuned in to good suppliers at this point.

"Enlightenment" is definitely not a given. Someone might experience that, but more likely they will just experience a trip -- hopefully a good one. I haven't tried it, but my guess is that a certain amount of spiritual preparation probably helps one have an enlightening experience.

Drugs are not a substitute for spiritual discipline. Peyote, LSD, or even cannabis are not going to reliably deliver spiritual enrichment to someone who doesn't know a Buddha from a barrel of beer.

On the other hand, bad things can happen from overuse, mixing drugs, and getting just plain bad drugs that were altered by amateurs. And yes, somebody who is on the verge of a manic attack would do well not to start dropping pills left and right.

KenBrace likes this.
  9. KenBrace Bird Administrator

I can certainly agree here.

10. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Sorry to ruin the party, but being cynical, I have to say a lot of these illegal drugs are way too strong. It's like giving yourself massive electric shocks. Note, of course, those in bad health should avoid them, but should those in good health stay away?

11. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yes. Leave the shit alone!

12. KenBrace Bird Administrator

There is not really any evidence for this. Shrooms, LSD, etc. do not fry your brain in any measurable way.

If you are talking about opiates then that is a different story of course.

13. Jason76 Cat Moderator

How about Syd Barrett? :-?

14. Selena Bacteria

I'm not a fan of psychedelics....they scare me. I have to be in control of my mind at all times...I don't even drink.

YIKES, who wants a bad trip where you jump out of a window? Not me.

Or how about those people you've heard about eating someone's face off while high on bath salts or something...no thanks.