Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Why are psychedelics illegal?

Discussion in 'Other' started by KenBrace, Nov 5, 2016.

1. KenBrace Bird Administrator

I've recently become quite fascinated with psychedelics and the profound way in which they impact the human experience and cause you to question the reality you live in.

They are wonderful tools for treating depression, PTSD, anxiety, addiction, and other mental issues.

They triangulate the human experience adding completely new dimensions that provide you with a much deeper, richer understanding of consciousness.

Like anything positive, they can always become a bad thing if abused (no different than sugar or video games). However, at the end of the day, the benefits far outweigh the detriments.

So why the hell are these substances still illegal in most states?

It's complete insanity.

Cannabis isn't generally labeled as a psychedelic but the same goes for it as well. Why the hell does our government throw people in jail for wanting to feel chill on the weekend? It's like punishing people for going to the movies. Complete and utter insanity.

Are psychedelics like shrooms, LSD, DMT, etc. illegal for the same reason(s)?

Thoughts?

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

It's because government hasn't figured out a way to tax them yet. If it can be efficiently taxed it will become legal.

3. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Hasn't figured out a way to tax them?

Why not tax them like every other item that is sold?

If Uncle Sam can collect taxes from a grocery store then why can't they collect it from a cannabis store?

4. jimbob Cat Moderator

Because there are too many people who are and more who will grow in in their back yard and it would take too much man-hours to police.

5. KenBrace Bird Administrator

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense though because right now they are getting zero tax income from drug sales. In states like Colorado, cannabis is sold in stores like most other products. Those states are getting tax income from that. Here in GA they are getting none. So if they are concerned with not being able to tax it then making it illegal will certainly nullify any possible income for the state.

6. jimbob Cat Moderator

I didn't say that everything I say will make sense.

Yeah, Georgia is different. They have always had their untaxed moonshine.

Yes, legalize it and there will be tax revenue from the sales.

Of course, legalizing drugs would end the war on drugs and that would put a lot of government workers out of a job. What? Reduce the size of government? You gotta' be kidding.

Greengrl likes this.
  7. KenBrace Bird Administrator

I think one problem is that prisons are privately owned and legalizing drugs would nullify the majority of their business.

8. Jason76 Cat Moderator

I wouldn't trust psychedelics beyond pot. It's not brave or smart to fry your brain.

9. jimbob Cat Moderator

I didn't consider that. I really haven't paid any attention to our prison system. Maybe if they locked me up I would pay attention.

10. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yea!!! I get to agree with Jason again. Whenever drugs are mentioned in my presence, including on forums, I tell people to leave that shit alone.

Jason76 likes this.
  11. Jason76 Cat Moderator

I mean, if you want to be Arnold on Total Recall strapped to the chair, then by all means, go ahead.

Are you sure it's a majority of prisons being privately owned. I did post an article about that once. It's not a conspiracy theory.

jimbob likes this.
  12. KenBrace Bird Administrator

How will shrooms or acid fry your brain any more than pot?

13. jimbob Cat Moderator

Just stay away from all of it Ken. Enjoy life as it really is.

14. KenBrace Bird Administrator

We learn through experience. If I can take a substance that provides a radically new experience without damaging my health, then I'm all for it. I think the important thing is just to keep your head on straight and remember the importance of evidence and reason. As long as you face the experiences from a rational perspective, I believe you can learn something from psychedelics. Most likely we only live once so I want to expand my horizons as much as possible in the ~80 years I have on this planet. Don't want to miss out on something amazing because of ridiculous cultural stigma and government regulations.

15. jimbob Cat Moderator

I understand what you are saying Ken. It's just that I have seen too many people ruin their life with drugs and alcohol. I will always preach against their usage. However, a few beers or a glass of wine or a little weed I really see not problem with. Moderation.

16. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Some people have done fine on LSD, then on the other hand, some like Pink Floyd's Syd Barret went crazy. In fact, a number of Floyd's songs reference him, usually in admiration, but actually his case was a tragedy. :(

17. jimbob Cat Moderator

But why take the chance of screwing up your life to the point of never being able to recover for just a couple hours of false reality?

I just don't see the logic.

18. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Alcohol = BAD

Heroine = BAD

Meth = BAD

Cocain = BAD

LSD = OK

Shrooms = OK

DMT = OK

Ayahuasca = OK

Cannabis = OK

Ecstacy = OK

and so on...

Some food is good for you, some food is bad for you, and some food is neutral. You shouldn't avoid eating just because some foods are unhealthy or poisonous. It's also a matter of using responsibly and not abusing the substance. Just like it's ok to eat ice cream every now and then but eating it three times a day will make you sick.

Ecstacy will fry your brain if used frequently but when used responsibly it is very effective at healing mental disorders like PTSD.

Sometimes acid can trigger underlying mental health problems. If you're prone to epilepsy, schizophrenia, etc. then you should probably avoid it. It's all about careful research and responsible use.

19. jimbob Cat Moderator

I'm done preaching. I said what I felt I should say. We each walk our own path and we each make our own decisions.

20. Jason76 Cat Moderator

I don't really think all drugs are the same. I mean a person could snort cocaine. They could also snort powdered Ajax like on Up in Smoke. :p Is it the same? I think not.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    KenBrace likes this.