Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

What would you do if you won the lottery?

Discussion in 'Other' started by KenBrace, Jan 10, 2016.

1. KenBrace Bird Administrator

If I won the lottery then I'd retire, buy 20 acres of land in the mountains, build a cozy little cottage, get a car and a truck, a new computer, some comfortable furniture, and a fridge full of food.

Then I'd devote my time towards things like philosophy, science, chess, speed cubing, internet forums, meditation, and any other interest that I might encounter.

A simple, cozy little life is all I need to be happy.

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

I would declare a miracle had happened because I don't play.

(I don't believe in miracles.)

Selena and KenBrace like this.
  3. KenBrace Bird Administrator

I don't play either but let's say you found a winning ticket on the side of the road that had accidentally been thrown out of a car?

4. jimbob Cat Moderator

What if?

Okay. I honestly can't say. But there would be the temptation to give the ticket to a local charity.

5. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Not a bad idea. Or perhaps spit it up between multiple charities.

jimbob likes this.
  6. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

People: You're just not thinking big enough. You might have won a billion dollars! 20 acres of land? You could buy the whole county, mountain and all, for Christ's sake (and you should, of course). Jesus needs more mountains.

Had i been wise enough to buy a ticket for the billion dollar lottery prize, and selected all of the correct numbers (and nobody else did, so I got the whole thing) I would take the several hundred million dollar after-tax winning and
    send a check to the Bernie Sanders campaign right away (just pocket change, say a couple of million). Let's say I had $575,000,000 after taxes. (One does pay rather high taxes on the winnings...as one should.)

I would buy a luxury condo or coop on the upper floor of a tall building in Chicago or New York (might take 50 million--I'm talking extra-double-plus-NICE here, not merely pleasant. (I've been reading the New York Times Real Estate Section for years -- it could easily take 50 million.) Assign another few million to take care of monthly fees, taxes, and staff. I don't plan on dusting the furniture, cooking, cleaning, or grocery shopping. I will require a large office space in the unit.

I shall require staff: kitchen, chauffeur, butler, very well educated houseboys (30 or older and attractive) to provide witty, intelligent conversation and other services. All that in place, I would turn my attention to what to do with most of it: Let's say there was $500,000,000 left. Down to business.

I would immediately establish a foundation to express my ideological leanings. (Don't call us. We'll call you.)

A. $100,000,000 for Organized Labor: labor education, labor organization, and pro-labor lobbying.
    B. $100,000,000 for Religious Works: funding grants to churches to carry out the Christ's mandate described in Matthew 25:35-40. Nice. Is there a catch? Absolutely. Churches must design projects that will involve their congregations' in actually delivering the corporal works of mercy. They can't just get the money and give it to Lutheran Social Services or Catholic Charities. They have to actually do the works of mercy themselves (like feeding the homeless, using grant money).
    C. $100,000,000 for academic departments, particularly, English Literature, Sociology, Psychology, Classics, History, and maybe a couple of other fields. Sorry: No post-modern crap.
    D. $100,000,000 for Leftist Political Works. We'll happily read your proposals for versions -- subversion, perversion, de-conversion, diversion, aversion, etc. -- but your plans have to hold water--no half-baked proposals, please.
    E. $75,000,000 for buying land planting fine hardwood trees (particularly, nut bearing trees--oak, walnut, butternut, etc.) for the purpose of creating a fine hardwood resource in about 100 years)
    F. $25,000,000 for reducing unhappiness, jealousy, resentment, etc. among my relatives. As a wise man said, "One can't be altogether happy about the undeserved good fortune of friends and relatives." A hefty cash payout will assuage their distress. A million dollar check should make them feel better. (If it doesn't... well, fuck 'em.)

$500,000,000 invested for long-term stable growth should produce a 5% return which is 25 million dollars annually. Spending $25,000,000 per year (at least) should keep me busy for a while. I'm 70 -- won't be around that long. My primary task would be establishing the thrust and future of the foundation.

KenBrace likes this.
  7. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

800px-Lake_Point_Tower.jpg

See, a pleasant unit in something like this -- Lake Point Tower in Chicago. I think this would be adequate, possibly.

KenBrace likes this.
  8. KenBrace Bird Administrator

9. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yeah, but you are still here so it apparently wasn't you who won.

KenBrace likes this.
  10. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

I would have been exceedingly surprised had I won since I hadn't bought a lottery ticket -- and wouldn't.

As an idle fantasy, winning a billion dollars is (at my age) about as good as fantasizing about sex. Besides, how could I ever leave you?

KenBrace and jimbob like this.
  11. Catie Hutchens Atom

If I won the lottery I would build me and my husband a beautiful house. I would set money aside for my children's future. I would give all of my brothers and sisters money to get them out of debt. We would also travel the world! I would start my own business and let me and my husband run it together. That would be such a wonderful thing if it happened! If only I gambled or bought lottery tickets! Maybe I should start!

jimbob likes this.
  12. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yeah, I found out a long time ago that you can't win if you don't play. (I don't play.)

13. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

"Maybe I should start!" -- very bad idea.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

14. Jason76 Cat Moderator

I would go overseas to meet my friends in the Phillippines. Sit back and make more plans after that. Probably I'd visit my friends in South Korea as a 2nd stop. I'd kind of like to visit Africa, especially South Africa. Iv'e never been there, only Northeast Asia, the Pacific Islands, and North America. Seeing Japan for a 3rd time would be awesome. This time would be for a few months, instead of a few days (visa run).

Possibly a good idea would be to pour money into a business I know would make a return. In that way, you would get even more money than from the lottery.

15. nangk08 Atom

If I won a lottery, I would first go on a world tour, all luxury class, for one full year. Then buy acres and acres of land where I could grow all kinds of trees and plants that I really like and dedicate my life to gardening and doing things that I really like. I would especially like to do something for the kids, maybe build a garden where they could be close to nature as God intended us to be.

Last but not the least, invest lots of money into something that would earn me steady income so that I do not have work again for money. But I would still not stop working online because that's where friends are! :)

16. Your Seldom Atom

My point of the view is completely different. With such a huge money I would consider that it is my responsibility to do something socially useful and aware that will benefit other people as well and not only my personal satisfaction.

I would make sure to create a solid well structured business for the employment of the bigger number of people.

If I had a really lots of money, I would invest in opening more children facility, gated playgrounds etc.

17. Jason76 Cat Moderator

The best use of money would be to provide employment for people thru direct or indirect ways. Possibly if you wanted to do some charity, then make an effort to end the problem of street children and dirty water in various nations, of course while remaing anonymous cause everybody hates celebrity goody two shoes.

jimbob likes this.
  18. Ghost_Writer Atom

Without thinking too much to answer, the first thing I would do is pack my bags (or not :)) and travel the whole world to to explore as many cultures as I can.

After this great adventure, I'll decide better what to do with the remaining money (but surely, an investment in something profitable is one of the options that I consider :cool:).

jimbob likes this.
  19. Jason76 Cat Moderator

True, I'd rather travel than own a big home. In fact, a lot of land and a home is not what I want. However, some people really get into fixing up homes and land etc..

I know for sure I'd spend a lot on website and forum development. I would be able to easily afford advertising, and hence triple my money.

20. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

You all understand, don't you, that if you win a big lottery (let's say, $100 million) having a 'steady income' will not be your problem. More to the point, how to spend it productively will be the problem.

Andrew Carnegie, for instance, worked very hard to get rid of his money. One of the things he did was build libraries for any town that wanted one. Many of the libraries are still there, still lending books. There was one in my small home town.

One could buy land for the Nature Conservancy, or donate land to the National Park Service. Or buy land in cities or suburbs and build parks out of them.

Starting a business to provide employment is a great idea, provided you can manage the details (the devil being in the details).