Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

What happens when there are no poor people?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Alexandoy, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Alexandoy Bacteria

This question was posed to me by a construction worker when I was in high school. We were having an intelligent discusson when suddenly this guy Mulong asked what would happen if there are no poor people like him. Who would dig the sewage and who would operate the bulldozer to build new roads? If everyone is rich then there will be no laborers anymore. To be honest, I was thinking of that question ever since. And the answer came only recently when I realized that as people become rich then progress follows because of the funding of the research and development.

What do you think will happen if we are all rich? Who will man the stores, who will do the dirty work?

2. Decentlady Bacteria

Obviously the self! If we are all EQUALLY rich then everyone has to do their own work. If there is still relative richness then the less richer will still be employed as workers.

If you are workaholic like me, I think even richness can't reach you and you shall work till you can't anymore.

jimbob likes this.
  3. Raven Atom

We already have Roombas and robot cleaning devices, so I'd expect those would develop faster to fill the gaps and perform the jobs that no one wants to do. Some people will work anyway, just because work gives a purpose to life, a reason to get out and meet new people, and to hone your skills. There are non-profits and charities that they can volunteer for, or start their own company because they don't need to be afraid to fail (they are already rich so they can afford it).

A lot of the less skilled jobs are vanishing anyway now, with automated warehouses and factories, so basic repetitive work for the low income is declining, which is a problem as there's no real safety net or way to transition to other roles. Even delivery drivers are under threat, with automated drones being trialled to take over their roles.

4. DR KOKIL AGARWAL Molecule

This is such a difficult question. We have been talking about economical equality but have we ever thought about this. The small petty jobs will always remain undone then.

Or is it that then people will develop a habit of completing their tasks on their own whether big small. clean or dirty.

I think if the latter happens then it will be good for all.

5. kingcool52 Molecule

The problem with this is that it will be absolute chaos because of this. Why bother starting a business if you already have enough money? But then because everyone has so much money prices of items will get even more expensive, at one point essentials may become extremely expensive meaning some people may decide to not purchase these items. Would there be a need for charities anymore?

6. Sweed2 Molecule

I don't think there will ever be a time when there are no more poor people. There will always be richer people who will need the poor classes of people to do their dirty work. And dirty work need not be dirty. This involves the management of any business, food, farming, construction, hospitals, and hotels, so on each type of work needs someone to maintain machinery or upkeep, medical or physical labor.

Anyone can be considered poor in the eyes of someone richer. But then the poor often are richer than the rich, for the poor have more compassion for others and know how to live with very little or next to nothing. Sure any poor person would like more money, but it seems the rich for the most part, are the only ones who try to live far beyond their means.

If the poor are as your thought goes all gone, by widespread scarcity of food or war, or natural death, I think the entire world would be in trouble. Most things require some sort of skills that must be taught and most really rich people hire other people to manage their affairs. Needless to say they would not last long without the poorer peoples help.

7. Working Buck Molecule

I think it would just be the same, if everyone is rich, then probably the cost of everything would rise up. All of us would have a lot of money which would just probably last a couple of years if we won't work or invest on something. Now since the value of money has dropped, investing on something would also cost a lot than before.