Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Weeds grow unattended while edible plants need to be tended

Discussion in 'Other' started by Alexandoy, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Alexandoy Bacteria

When I started gardening in grade school, this thought occurred to me – weeds grow by themselves while edible plants die if left unattended. If people will not plant then there will be nothing to eat. Why is life designed this way? Why can’t edible plants and fruit trees grow like weeds that thrive anywhere?

One of our college professors said that God had designed it that way to force people to move and act. If you will go to Marshall Islands, 99% if not all of the inhabitants are obese. Why so? Because fish is abundant in the shore and the US government have been paying them a sort of pension to cover all their needs. In short, the natives of that island nation need not work hence they get what they need without working… and that’s what makes them obese.

But I still cannot come to terms with that work and eat concept. What I mean is not really the edible plants would grow by itself. Why are edible plants so hard to tend? They need fertilizers and weeds do not, right? Why can’t the plants grow easily like the weeds? Oh well, this question seems to be asking for and answer until now.

2. Psi Atom

When we domesticate plants and animals we make a deal with them. They put all their efforts into being more productive, and we look after their care and protection. Sheep become placid and easy to tend, but less good at evading predators. Trees produce so much fruit that if we did not pick them the branches would break off. Cows produce so much milk that if we did not feed them nutritious grains they would waste away and die.

That is not an act of God, it is an act of man. Because we don't want to chase wild prey, eat small sour fruit, and do without milk and all the things we bake and ferment from it entirely. Our time spent weeding is well invested and both humans and their domesticated breeds prosper from it. In philosophy it is referred to as "The Ancient Bargain" or "The Ancient Contract".

3. jimbob Cat Moderator

"Weeds" are plants "we" have classified as useless to use. It doesn't mean they don't have a natural place in nature.

Human population exceeded what nature could support naturally. Therefore it was necessary to find ways to get more food. This led to the domestication of plants and animals.

4. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Most people on the Marshall Islands I'm sure don't exercise like I'm sure most Americans don't. Now certain types of people, like the Japanese, can stay at a reasonable weight without exercise but isn't the case with a lot of people on the Earth. So, if the genetics demand hard work for health, then you don't really have much of a choice.

Note, QualityChecked on here was saying it was about the food. However, that's a simplistic way of looking at it. Perhaps with the Marshall Islands, they cannot handle an American diet due to genetics, therefore, they have to exercise. And they did exercise, hard work to catch fish, in the past but also the food was more healthy.

They might be kissing the local's rears because some of the islands were used for nuclear testing.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017