Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Volunteer work

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Shine_Spirit, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Shine_Spirit Bacteria

I know we live in an increasingly difficult world, with an increasingly busy rhythm of life, but... Have you ever had the opportunity to do this kind of work? Even if it was only once?

Many people say that it's waste of time, that nothing is gained by doing this kind of work... But I completely disagree with them.

I already had the opportunity to do many volunteer work in my life and all my experiences were great and very enriching (especially with regard to my human side).

Unfortunately there is still some resistance (and even a bit of prejudice) with this type of work and this, in general, is a harm to society.

Voluteer work is a philosophy of life that should be adopted by everyone at some point in life.

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

I have too many things going on in my life to participate. I help where/when I can but I am selective in when I put any efforts.

3. Alexandoy Bacteria

My family says that I have volunteerism in my blood because I am one who always try to improve our community. In fact, some weeks ago, I spent for the fixing of some potholes on our street. And I'm not done yet because I had only covered about half of the potholes. With the safety and security, I initiate awareness in the community against thieves, there are lots of reported such cases.

However, I don't join volunteer groups like the building of houses for the calamity victims. And after the work, they will take photos and publicize in the newspapers. I find those volunteer work as political in nature. It is better to work on my own or with some of my friends but not in an organized group which the leaders use for their own benefits.

Selena and jimbob like this.
  4. lebroncc Atom

I want to. I'd be interested in working with the elderly or disadvantaged students in a volunteering role, but I find it difficult to ascertain information regarding those two sorts of services. Also, I don't know if a nineteen year old University student is desirable in those circumstances.

5. pwarbi Bacteria

A number of years ago now, I volunteered for a charity that helped the homeless in the city I live in. In recent years the amount of homeless people as massively increased and while I know that some of them are homeless due to drug and alcohol problems, there are a lot that are in that situation through no fault of their own.

I volunteered in the soup kitchens and went out and about dropping off blankets and sometimes just simply talking to them and I id get a small amount of satisfaction from doing that and would encourage others to do the same. Sometimes I think we get too wrapped up in our own lives and just by helping people that are less fortunate than you, it does give you a different perspective on things.

6. Selena Bacteria

I've volunteered, the most recent was at my local hospital. Although I'm retired and have plenty of time, I had to quit because they have schedules and if you can't make it you have to find a sub and that's not easy.

I do travel a lot so it was just easier for me to quit. If I could find a volunteer opportunity where I can just go when I have the time, then I would do that but they all seem to want you on certain days...can't just walk in and say "here I am".

jimbob likes this.
  7. jimbob Cat Moderator

But you have to be controlled if you are going to be a part of them. That's the way life is mostly any more.

8. jimbob Cat Moderator

And remember, if they can put you on schedule that means they don't have to hire a person to do the work you are doing. Saves the millionaires lots of money.