Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Time or money?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Quality Checked, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

What is more important to you: Time or Money?

Why? What would you do with it if you had more?

How much more would you want?

KenBrace likes this.
  2. jimbob Cat Moderator

Irony: Freddie Fender is at this moment singing the song "Money" (The Beatles version).

I have enough money. I still have the same amount of time but because of my age the amount of quality time is slowly being reduced.

Therefore I opt for more quality time. (Quality time meaning having the energy to do those things I would prefer doing.)

3. KenBrace Bird Administrator

"Time can buy money but money can't buy time." -Me

Seriously, money is infinitely more valuable than time. Money isn't even real. It just a bunch of grownups playing a gigantic, global game of make believe. Time is the most precious thing any of us have.

As far as how much I'd want...

Money? If I could make any number appear in my bank account tomorrow then I'd probably settle for an even billion. I see no point in having more. It would just make me that much more of a target. I'd definitely try to keep my wealth hidden. Just live a modest life knowing I have lots and lots of financial cushin. :)

Time? If I could maintain my health, then I see no reason to ever die. I'd want immortality.

If you are also interested in immortality then you should always remember that there is a catch...

[​IMG]

Kaynil and Flaming_Dorito like this.
  4. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yeah, I sometimes joke around about being immortal or wanting to be immortal but in reality, age deteriorates our body. I doubt I would be happy being old but too crippled up to do anything. No, I guess I will just die when my time is all used up.

Believer likes this.
  5. Jason76 Cat Moderator

The catch with a lot of money is the threat of kidnapping. For instance, in the third world kidnapping is a real threat. Also with more money is needed more security from people wanting to take it, especially those doing addictive drugs, and it's also a problem in the 1st world.

Finally security isn't a fun thing. Just ask any kid of a president. There is no real privacy. Unless your highly skilled in fighting and/or have guns you won't be really safe without bodyguards, or at least some people hanging around you at every second while in public.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  6. jimbob Cat Moderator

Well Jason, with all those worries about having money I think you should opt for less money and more time. Then: No Worries.

7. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Michael Douglas on the New 2000s version Wall Street made the conclusion time was more valuable after his prison sentence since the 1987 version. :-?

jimbob likes this.
  8. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

Jack Benny on Time and Money

9. Alexandoy Bacteria

We live in a material world and money is the pecuniary measure for our worldly needs. To be practical, we work to earn money in order to live and be able to afford what we desire. When we have no money, we are poor and it's not pleasant to be poor. When we have lots of money, we are rich and it is a better position than being poor simply because money can buy more than 90% of our happiness.

With time, it is infinite although our life is finite in relation to time. In other words, we cannot control time and anything beyond our control should not be given much importance. Do you care if the sun will not shine tomorrow?

jimbob likes this.
  10. Believer Bacteria

We all get the same 24 hours in a day, whether we are rich or poor; but what happens during thos 24 hours can be a whole lot different for the poor person than for the rich one. As Alexandoy mentioned, the poor person is struggling though the day trying to earn enough money just to survive and make ends meet, and with not much time left over to actually enjoy life.
    On the other hand, being rich does not do a person a lot of good when you are bedridden or about to die, because sometimes money cannot buy health.
    I am going to step out of the box here, and make an assertion that health is more important than either time or money. All the money in the world is pretty much useless , and so is all of the time in the world, when you do not have the health to enjoy either one.

Kaynil, jimbob and Jasmin Cottontail like this.
  11. Jasmin Cottontail Molecule

I believe both are important :) I also believe that there are 4 kinds of people, the first group are the ones who have a lot of time but no money, the second group are the those people who have lots of money but no time, the third group are the ones who have lots of money and lots of time and the last group are those who have no time and no money. So basically, the best group to be in would be the third group since you have lots of time to enjoy that plenty of money, unlike the other groups who can't enjoy one since they lack the other. So yeah I simply believe that both are important :)

jimbob likes this.
  12. Decentlady Bacteria

Both time and money have their own importance. While I would like to have enough money to never ever have to worry about anything that needed cash I would love to have enough time to rest and sleep well.

I definitely do not want to live longer but I do want to live healthier and happier.

jimbob likes this.
  13. jimbob Cat Moderator

Excellent thoughts Y'all.

14. tonyb Bacteria

The fact is at moment both are very important to me. I need to make as much money I can and I also want to have as much ime I can get for my family, friends and relatives. If I make enough money I would like to retire from active work and play supervisory role on my investments

jimbob likes this.
  15. DR KOKIL AGARWAL Molecule

I think I would be more than happy if I had more time. More time would mean I would be able to spare more time for online work. This will further correspond to more earnings.
    If this is possible then many major problems of my life will take a back seat and I would be able to enjoy life thereafter.

jimbob likes this.
  16. ray Bacteria

I say money because you have no control over time as it goes on but you have control over your money whether you spend it or save it.

jimbob likes this.
  17. Flaming_Dorito Atom

Time is definitely much more valuable than money, this is explained at the end of the movie "Lucy" when her brain reaches 100% working potential and she can alter reality, she finally realises that measurements of anything even length or depth are completely irrelevent. It is time that decides whether or not we or any other physical particle in the multiverse exists.

KenBrace and jimbob like this.
  18. Kaynil Atom

My gut response would be time. No doubt about it. I see money as a medium not the end, so by itself, the idea of having lots of money doesn't move me the way it does other people.

As for time, when I was a kid I saw it as a line from this very moment and ahead and I was not thinking ahead just here. Now as an adult I know it is important to plan ahead but I feel get hammered into our heads how important is to take the future into account that many become unable to enjoy the present without feeling that they are 'wasting time' and that makes me sad. The day my dad confided me that he cannot just sit and enjoy a sunset made me realise I did not want that for myself. I know my life will be up and most likely will be out of my control the when and how that will come so all I have is that I am alive right now. I am done with putting off things until I have the right equipment or get a randoms elf imposed limitation. If I want to do it I will try to do it. Done giving myself crap for changing my mind or not doing as other people expect me.

I am not afraid of poverty. Some of my kickass memories come from eating just-caught fish with my bare feet cousins, just outside their humble abode in the less that pristine river full of dogs, pigs and chickens. They were poor but they didn't let that to define them or determine their happiness. They were always friendly to me and taught me to count my blessings, to be honest and direct and to act on my impulse when it comes to enjoy the moment. Even if things don't go as planned I learn more of myself that way. I couldn't cling to those teaching back in the day but now they resurface and I just appreciate even more those memories and how it wasn't really much of sirring and talking but about where we were and stuff they would show me. I have grown comfortable in my current lifestyle I am doing my best to maintain it but I will do my best to never forget about the simple pleasures in life like just sitting outside to feel the breeze.

@Alexandoy put it very nicely differentiating how time in itself is infinite. I also really like how @Believer brought up the point of health into the discussion. You want to be able to present. So because being aware of this very moment is all I have for sure I really just want to feel content and in peace so whenever my time is near I won't spend it in regrets.

I am digressing but I think I already have answered that in my life. I rather have Part Time employment and time to do what I enjoy right now that being promised a lot more money in exchange for getting Full Time. It just doesn't sound appealing to me. I would be thinking about how I wanted to draw, play games or go out. I don't know when I will die I want to make sure to enjoy my present as much as I can. So I will work in a place I feel comfortable working with and that will allow me to balance with some time off I will choose what to dedicate on.If I have to choose whetehr getting more money whether more time for myself I will go with time.

It is so refreshing to read this. Most people look at me like I am out of my mind when I make remarks like this one.

Our lives circulate around money. They are tokens you trade for whatever you desire and often times I ponder just how silly we humans can be with it all and yet see it as normal. Now with the digital era even feels more like playing pretend. I grab a coffee then I press a bit of plastic on against a metal machine, it beeps and I walk out with my beverage.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    KenBrace likes this.
  19. kingcool52 Molecule

Both are important but if I had to choose then it would always be money over time. Doesn't matter how much time you have, you wouldn't be able to do anything or enjoy it if you have no money. On the other hand if you have money you can save up by working hard. Then when you're a bit older and have a lot of money then you can get time off and enjoy your life :)

jimbob likes this.
  20. Believer Bacteria

I think that being able to enjoy life comes from having a good attitude, and it is not dependent on either time nor money. There are always stories of people with a lot of money that commit suicide because they are not happy, even though they are rich; just like there are poor people who do the same thing.
    To me, it is important to make the best of whatever you have in life, and enjoy as much as you can enjoy. None of us knows how long our life will be, or how much time is left for us on this earth.
    Saying that you won't be able to do anything or enjoy it if you do not have money is only partially right, in my opinion. While it is true that you can't do the things that cost a lot of money, that does not mean that you can't have fun and enjoy life anyway. A lot of the pleasures in life do not cost money, and we just need to look for them to enjoy these things.
    Of course, I agree that it would be better to have the money and be able to do whatever you want to do; but even when you do not have money, we can still choose to enjoy life.

Kaynil likes this.