Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

The New Scam in SEO

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jason76, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Search engine optimization is the science of manipulating things so your website becomes close to the first listing on Google etc..

Now the scam is to pay people to come into your website and fart around a bit. This makes it seem like your website is popular and useful and hence, massively helps your SEO. OK, when will Google crack down on this? It seems similar to the paid Facebook like thing.

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

Oh, no. Jason wants more moral police.

3. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Yeah but how can search engine results be honest without moral police? However, a website doesn't have to get traffic thru Google. It's only that most traffic comes thru Google, so that makes Google a sort of police.

4. jimbob Cat Moderator

And, of course, Google's prime creed would be: "Whatever is best for Google."

Why do you think police forces across the nation have unions?

5. KenBrace Bird Administrator

I don't see a problem with it honestly.

It's no different than any other form of advertising.

You pay for publicity.

6. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

As you noted elsewhere, I'm not up on search engine optimization. IF life is like a sewer and what you get out of it depends on what you put into it, THEN I am just not in a position to keep track of all the turds floating by.

A moral axiom is "You can't do business if people aren't honest." This applies to doing business on the internet as much as it does to running a brick and mortar business. IF your business is propped up by some sort of swindle, THEN eventually people will come to not trust it.

7. Jason76 Cat Moderator

It's difficult to judge whether or not the low wage third world workers paid to come to your website really like it. Of course, they could use bots to come to your website, but obviously that would be too sneaky and would get busted.

Note, if the people really liked the website, the the action isn't unethical. However, realize that people visiting your website for a decent amount of time is only one factor in ranking a website.

8. Working Buck Molecule

I do agree with this, I am new with this SEO thing and I have been thinking about paying people to visit my site once it's up and running, though I still do not know how to do that LOL! But I do get the point of paying to be on top, it's how it works and we can't do anything about it.

9. Selena Bacteria

What are you all talking about ....I join forums for free because I enjoy them. Do you mean people get paid to post or click on your site??

Boggles my mind....

10. pwarbi Bacteria

If a person comes on to a site naturally and posts, clicks on links and promotes the site that way then I have no issue with it. The problem starts when people get greedy and they think why waste my time doing that when I can get a bot to do it for me instead. It seems that everybody these days is looking for a way to get rich quick by doing as little as possible and by trying to bend and break the rules.

When I owned a forum I had no problem paying for posts as long as they benefited my forum, and I saw an increase in activity from what was being posted. When I started getting 50 threads all being made in a matter of 20 seconds and all consisting of what's your favourite colour? What's your favourite song? What's your favourite name?...then it became clear that I was wasting my money.