Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

The Mightiest Thought

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by lokielovesbunny, Aug 15, 2015.

1. lokielovesbunny Atom

What comes in mind when you think about the God.? Without doubt, the mightiest thought the mind can entertain is the thought of God, and the weightiest word in any language is word God. Do we think about the god just because the God is better than all, or maybe the God of the philosophers.? The simple language of describing about the god as we all know, that God created the universe in all of its magnitude and creative details and able to known, by us. He tells us about himself, and if we go more far he welcomes us into a relationship , so that we personally can get to know more better better about him. What comes in your mind when you think about the God.

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

I have never seen a single piece of evidence of the existence of a god.

But man tells good stories,

KenBrace likes this.
  3. KenBrace Bird Administrator

What thought comes to mind when I think about the word "God"?

Fiction.

As with @jimbob I've never seen any good evidence for God's existence.

All of my observations point in the opposite direction.

We live in exactly the kind of world you would expect to find if there were no god.

jimbob likes this.
  4. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Maybe cause humans fell into sin and rejected God.

5. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yeah, maybe. But maybe not. Some of us stopped believing in gods about the same time we stopped believing in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus. However, there are many who still believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

KenBrace likes this.
  6. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Maybe, but there is really no reason to believe this.

Also, it is kind of silly for God to create beings that are going to reject him isn't it?

Perhaps there is a reason they rejected him?

If so, maybe it's a legit reason?

If so, then maybe God should have created a world where that legit reason was no longer an issue don't ya think?

:)

7. Jason76 Cat Moderator

They have a free will. They aren't robots.

8. jimbob Cat Moderator

They have free will because there is no controlling agent.

Well, actually, there are controlling agents: the processes of the universe, specifically out star (sun) and especially our planet. In the natural order of things, if it is possible it is likely that it will happen. The dinosaurs happened. And no, man did not walk hand-in-paw with T Rex.

If we accept the fact of evolution and we accept that free will exists then there is no need for any god.

KenBrace likes this.
  9. Jason76 Cat Moderator

I don't think anyone is totally free, even though we have free will. People are affected by the enviornment. Free choice does exist, but only within limits set by the environment.

jimbob likes this.
  10. Jason76 Cat Moderator

I think the Bible gets into that also. Jesus said the pharisees were leading people to hell. In other words, people had a free-will, but environment did matter.

11. jimbob Cat Moderator

Excellent response.

In my discussion of this concept I always begin with the statement that we all have free will. But then at some point I will state that the limits of our free will varies because of countless factors. Some people live in places on the planet that allow for almost no free will. Others are more fortunate.

12. Jason76 Cat Moderator

I think the big debate between extreme conservatism and extreme liberalism rests on the idea of free will vs the environment. Of course racists though also use the environment, in a negative way though, saying certain people cannot go beyond a certain limit, therefore justifying oppression. However, that's absurd.

jimbob likes this.
  13. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yep. I hold that we should honestly earn what we get. But I also think it totally wrong to deny anyone the right to honestly earn what they wish for.

I also hold that the extreme paths will likely lead to an unsatisfied live in the long run.

14. KenBrace Bird Administrator

15. Jason76 Cat Moderator

It might just be a situation where we live in a really tough world and God requires us to fight to make things well. If we were complaining about the setup, it would just seem whiny. I mean we know the world as we see it is tough, that's why sometimes we have to go to war or make other sacrifices.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    jimbob likes this.
  16. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Some fights are a good thing. Other fights do absolutely no good and only cause suffering.

There is a Christian idea that God has an ultimate plan for you and that bad events are really good events in disguise.

This fails realism.

Right now there is probably an innocent person getting beat to death by an iron rod. Literally to death. He is beat until his bones are broken to pieces, his organs are bleeding on the inside, and his skull is cracked open.

Was this God's plan for this fellow?

What good will come out of this event?

Bad things simply happen.

This man was unlucky.

If an all-loving, all-powerful god did exist then he would have stopped this horrible event from happening.

Having your character built up from the loss of a job is different than an innocent child getting beat to death with an iron rod.

jimbob likes this.
  17. jimbob Cat Moderator

Some things in life are just impossible to justify. The world of the wild animal is pretty predictable. The world of man is quite different. It's just unexplainable or justifiable to speak of a young person who used a drug to get a little peace of mind, to forget their real life problems for a short while and dying because the drug was deadly.

18. Jason76 Cat Moderator

It's due to free-will, not anything on God's part. I think God only gets involved via prayer. However, I believe at the end of the present age, he will set things right.

19. jimbob Cat Moderator

Okay. I'm glad you have confidence in your belief system.