Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Society is threatened by polygamy and abortion.

Discussion in 'Science' started by Jason76, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Jason76 Cat Moderator

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

I won't disagree with you here Jason. As generalized statements they are pretty much true as far as I understand.

3. Binu Molecule

Female fetus abortion is in high ration in China and India. In these countries there is a preference for boy child. Because of this there is even an imbalance in sex ratio.
    I also understand that terrorists are recruiting men who are frustrated over their single status. They are training single men to spew their frustration in killing people.

4. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yes, Binu. This is true and so very sad. Many cultures still hold the female in status similar to a slave. In many cultures the female has no rights. And yes, angry young men make excellent terrorists. Especially if they are promised miracles if they die in service.

5. Jason76 Cat Moderator

The whole 72 Virgins thing makes sense, once you realize these guys have no women at all, and are living on 1 dollar a day. Pretty much it seems worth it to fight.

Not according to Rush Limbaugh. b:)d

6. jimbob Cat Moderator

Only from an idiot's point of view.

What did I say about idiots?

7. remnant Atom

I think the problem is multidimensional. There are some pretty well settled and respected people who join terrorist groups. The erstwhile profile of a terrorist as being on the fringes of society and deprived in socioeconomic terms has undergone a paradigm shift. If you look at the profile of the 9/11 terrorist group and countless others after that, you'll find a high representation of those who are quite well adjusted, learned and have bright future prospects.

8. jimbob Cat Moderator

Valid what you said Remnant, however, a person who goes around killing defenseless women and children has something very seriously wrong with them. I am of the opinion that they should be removed from the planet.

9. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Once you start getting into ideas of population control and evolutionary theory, the compassion begins to lessen:

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-...demia-forefront-racist-ideals-white-supremacy

Note in the case of Islamic terrorists, it's generally westerners being targeted. If some wacko western scientists did the killing though, wouldn't it be in the reverse and with little remorse?

Like today I heard a creepy comment from my math professor. He noted that we should lessen our compassion in the case of animal overrunning Connecticut which now allows hunting (He said this in context of some logistics problem about population).

OK ??? Is there more sinister overtones to this speech coming from an otherwise gentle looking man?

10. jimbob Cat Moderator

Your professor likely said that out of some inner fear he has. Many places are re-introducing the grey wolf. The wolf gets a bad rap every time.

But no, I don't hold any compassion whatever for people who intentionally kill innocent women and children. And I have no compassion for people who kill wolves just because they can.

Yes, I would even support the culling of those violent, killing people. The fewer killers we have the less killing we will have.

11. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Obviously humans are predators unless you want to be like Paul McCartney and go veggie. In that case, we can't criticize animal predators.

12. jimbob Cat Moderator

We humans are the top natural predator in the food chain on the planet. We even beat out the great white shark. I have no problems with a person choosing to be a vegetarian. That's their choice. But I will suggest that it's not normal (whether we like it or not).

13. jimbob Cat Moderator

We seem to have gotten off topic. (Again. Hehehe.)

Polygamy was a great idea back a few thousand years ago when it was first legalized. It was designed mainly as a means of society taking care of the wife and children of soldiers killed in battle. And it worked well for a while.

14. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

Q. What does a Moslem woman get when she arrives in heaven?

A. One faithful man.

15. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

That's what Freud said about human beings in general (probably thinking mostly about men): we channel sexual energy into the creation of civilization. If we focus our thinking on how to fulfill our libidinous energies (the sex drive, basically) then we stay primitive. Building civilization requires the sublimation of the sex drive enough of the time to create, build, and maintain civilization's components: agriculture, industry, trade, music, dance, religion, myths, houses, cities, graphic art, and so on -- everything that goes into what we call civilized life. (Civilization began roughly 10,000 to 15,000 years old, when we started to domesticate grain. We didn't know we were doing that at the time, of course.) Around the same time we started weaving cloth, carving, decorating, engaging in ritual, and so forth.

Over time, certainly by 10,000 BC, civilization was beginning to require quite a bit of energy. Building houses and cities (like Jericho, one of the first extant cities) took a lot more time and energy than living in a cave or under a rock ledge. Planting grain took more energy than just eating whatever happened to be growing here and there. Turning an animal skin (which starts to rot and stink pretty quickly) into leather (which doesn't stink and lasts a long time) took a lot of effort to figure out, and perfect. Figuring out what to do with those heavy nodules of green rock (nuggets of copper) took a lot of thought. Then pounding it with a rock until it looked like something useful took a major research and development effort. Certainly by 5 thousand years\ ago it had been figured out. The 5,000 year old Ice Man who was found in the Alps glacier was carrying a copper knife. He also had leather and woven clothing, shoes, bows, arrows, and a few other odds and ends.

Sublimation doesn't mean not having sex. It means that often enough one foregoes sexual opportunity to keep working on a civilizing project, like hammering away at a piece of metal.

16. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Uneducated men with no hope for the future will not hammer a piece of metal, but will hammer someone's face. :mad:

These recruits into terrorism or war don't have college or vocational tuition. Generally, with the exception of people like the 9/11 attackers.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  17. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

Yes, people without hope in the future are not going to be highly motivated to do much of anything, especially something future oriented, educated or not. But not every male is equally driven towards having sex (gay, straight, or bisexual). Some men definitely do have a very demanding sex drive -- most of their lives -- but for a lot of men it gradually slopes down toward a manageable desire over time. Especially, if a guy has no future, and can't find a socially acceptable partner, there is no reason to be contribute to society.

The preference for male babies has skewed the M/F ratio in the population to nobody's advantage. Pre-natal sexing of the child and abortion made this screwed up ratio predictable.
    of the sex and

18. Jason76 Cat Moderator

My friend made fun of the movie "The Song Remains the Same" where Robert Plant started playing "Stairway to Heaven" and said, "This is a song of hope." So my friend said "This is a song of dope." :D

jimbob likes this.