Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Should abortion be allowed?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by KenBrace, Jan 28, 2015.

1. jimbob Cat Moderator

And pain begins with life.

2. tonyb Bacteria

Abortion is simply killing and must be stopped. Once the sperm and egg fuses to form the zygote immediately life is established and any attempt to stop that life from progressing is outright murder. I wonder what runs in the heads of these law makers not to criminalize these atrocities. If you agree to abortion then you should have wished you were aborted. Abortion is a sin against God and good men and must be stopped.

3. jimbob Cat Moderator

I will accept that as your opinion. Mine is different.

4. hades_leae Atom

I absolutely agree with you because every single life is precious. Many people choose to over look the fact that if they had a chance to tell people that they want to live before being aborted, people would hear them. Unfortunately babies can't do this so it is our responsibility as adults to protect our little ones no matter the excuses. A Life is life.

5. jimbob Cat Moderator

And death is death. Not much difference.

6. Believer Bacteria

For many years, abortion WAS illegal, at least here in the United States. This did not mean that there were no abortions, only that it was illegal, unless there was a medical reason; perhaps to save the life of the mother.
    The abortions which were performed illegally not only resulted in the aborting of the pregnancy; but many times, the mother bled to death during the operation, or died from infection due to surgical instruments that were not properly sanitized.

For thousands of years, people have aborted pregnancies, often using some kind of herbal remedy, and some societies simply threw unwanted newborn babies out in the river to drown. Whether abortion is legal or illegal, it is not likely to stop occurring; and it seems to me that it makes more sense that it can be regulated and done safely.

As far as whether it is morally right, it seems like the majority of opinions are either black or white; and people either believe that women should be able to do as they please, with the opposing opinion being that it should never be allowed.
    I am in a grey area somewhere between these two extremes.
    I think that, as @KenBrace mentioned, there is really not much difference between using birth control that stops fertilization or something that stops a fertilized egg from growing.
    However, when the mother allows the fetus to grow until it is actually a developing child, and then has a late-term abortion; I think that this is completely wrong, and that there should never be any reason at all for this to happen.
    Doctors are able to take premature babies and save them; so even if the mother's life were at risk, the mother and baby could both be saved, at least most of the time.
    Even worse, are the abortion clinics that actually harvest these late term fetuses for organs or other body parts. This is the same thing as killing any person to harvest their parts, and seems even more inhuman when it is being done to unborn babies.

7. jimbob Cat Moderator

The biggest issues here in the USA is about government paying for abortions and late-term abortions.

I am pro-choice but I don't see why I have to pay for abortions with my tax dollars. Prevention is a better path.

8. Shine_Spirit Bacteria

This is certainly still a very controversial subject, but I believe that before any decision (which, by the way, always belongs to women... after all, we are talking about their body) it's obligatory to always consider the circumstances of all events and people who are involved in the situation (a tough situation, by the way). Women should be made aware of all the pros and cons, and be free to make their own choices.

So, I'm much more inclined to be in favor of abortion than to be against. Why? Because I see much more justification on the part of women than on the part of the government that is against this practice (for government it's easy to talk, but it's very hard to do).

jimbob likes this.
  9. ray Bacteria

I personally don't see any problem with abortion as long the woman involved has health risk or the fetus is more than 2-3 months. If an early decision taken by the would mother for her personal reasons in this matter it should be her choice. I think the government or religion have no right to interfere with such a personal matter. A would be mother may have various reasons for taking such a serious step.

jimbob likes this.
  10. nangk08 Atom

This is not a simple matter of yes or no. It involves a number of factors such as the conditions around which the woman has conceived the baby, her health - both mental as well as physical, etc. that should determine whether she is allowed to abort the baby or not. If she has been forcibly conceived against her wishes, such as rape, then she has the right to abort the baby.

Corena and jimbob like this.
  11. Corena Atom

First of all, I know this is a very touchy subject, especially for a lot of women who think that it should be their right to decide if they murder their own child or not due to it being inside of their body. And as a woman, I can kind of understand where they are coming from. However, I have very strong beliefs about abortions and I think it is one of the worst things a person could morally do. And I don't say this as an outsider, because with my first son I was young, just out of high school, and I had an appointment for an abortion and even went to the appointment. But as I was waiting there in this room with these other pregnant women, this horrible sense of sorrow and sadness came over me and I ran out there and never went back. And now I have three children and I can't even imagine what my life would be if I had gone through with that or if I would have even been able to look at myself in the mirror afterwards.

I fiercely believe abortion is wrong at any stage of pregnancy, whether you are 2 weeks or 8 months, I see no difference there. In my opinion, it would be the same as murdering your 5 year old child. You would go to prison for that so why is it okay to kill a child before it is born? That makes no sense at all to me. And furthermore, what kind of person can live with themselves knowing that they just murdered a child? I think the best "abortion" is people learning how to use birth control and condoms and it is the only thing that should be legal!

On the point of condoms being the same, I do not agree with that statement for the simple fact out of all of the sperm racing towards the egg, only one lives and the rest die off. They are not an embryo or even forming into one. They are only a piece of something that it is not whole. If a person dies and their heart is still good, but it isn't transplanted and you let it die off, is that murder as well because it is a piece of something that was alive but it by itself was not a person? No, you wouldn't think twice about that being murder.

And as far as it being sanctioned by the government so that makes it right....wow what a concept! Germany's leader thought it was right to kill a million jews. Do you think that shouldn't have even undisputed too? Just because some people think it's okay to do something clearly does not make it right, whether they are leaders or not, history has clearly shown us that.

12. Geeta Molecule

Should women gets abortions legally?

Of course.

Women have a right to have an abortion, and presently have that right under law in many countries.

Living, breathing human beings have rights that supercede whatever “rights” something that is not a living, breathing human being has.

A cow is much more a living, breathing being that a fertilized human egg or a fetus - but, except for vegans, vegetarians and members of a few religious faiths, most living, breathing human beings believe that their rights as a living, breathing human being to sustain their life by eating beef supersedes the cow’s Right To Life.

So, yes, women should be able to get an abortion under the law.

jimbob likes this.
  13. to7update Atom

This is the one topic we will never agree on, as it's a matter of personal beliefs and faith.

I am against the abortion because ever since the conception a life is there, and we are no one to decide if someone lives or dies, we simply don't have that right. Like @Geeta says, it's a right though, apparently breathing determines if we are a person or not, something I disagree with.

Comparing a cow with an unborn person is a whole different debate, but once again, each one is entitled to their own opinions.

14. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yeah, I never argue the concept. I state my understanding and just let go. If discussion is requested I will discuss it though. I have no desire to change anyone's beliefs in this regard.

15. Jason76 Cat Moderator

On the college protester thread, you stated you were against New Age ideas but definitely they have a flexible view of who should live and die.

to7update likes this.
  16. jimbob Cat Moderator

And I will hold to my opinion/understanding. It is unlikely that everyone will get their way if everyone is wanting something different. Someone is going to lose out.

Yeah, it seems most of these pussy hat wearing liberals want Trump dead. Too bad they can't return to reality. Too many drugs.

17. Greengrl Atom

I would have to agree that abortion is a legal form of murder. A life was created, whether intentional or not, it is still a life. In my opinion, this should be illegal. There are many reasons and excuses people use to justify their decisions, but I have never heard one that I could empathize with.

I do agree with birth control. I do not see abortion as a birth control method. Birth control (in all forms) is designed to prevent unwanted pregnancies. It is not, in my opinion, taking a life. And if someone does get pregnant with using these methods, they are aware that it is not 100% effective. This does not make taking a life alright. You knew there was a risk and you chose to have sex anyway.

There are so many good people out there that would adopt, love, cherish, and raise an unwanted baby. This option, to me, seems a much better one than abortion.

18. jimbob Cat Moderator

I learned very quickly in the Army that prevention (preventive maintenance) is much more efficient than repair.

Same goes with abortion. Prevention negates decisions of abortion.

Believer likes this.
  19. DR KOKIL AGARWAL Molecule

For me killing any innocent living being is a big crime which cannot be pardoned at any cost. And for me Prevention is always better then Cure.

jimbob likes this.
  20. ray Bacteria

I agree with you but with a difference. You know, there are so many atrocities and differences with women allover the world especially in our society so there are chances that a woman has to forced conceive against all her efforts. Do you think this 'forced' child would ever let her live peacefully or do her any good all her life? A mother not willing to give birth to a child especially in special conditions should be her choice and not a matter of legal or ethical values.