Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Respect the creator, but don't follow him at all.

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Jason76, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Jason76 Cat Moderator

In the southern USA, you see a lot of people who do everything contrary to the will of God, like in a Kid Rock kind of personality, yet if you criticize or disrespect God directly :mad:, then your a dead man. However, if you do respect God, and do follow him, then your a goody two shoes or a mama's boy.

Let's discuss this phenemonon. :rolleyes: Seems like southern people are more concerned with social order, much like in Confucist China, then in following actual rules.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

People's relationship with religion is one issue, southern concern with social order is a different issue.

The problem of religion:

Billions of people want to be associated with one religion or another, generally the most dominant one in their neck of the woods. That does not mean they themselves actually wish to stick to the rules set out by that religion. Because they value the religion abstractly, there is no need for them to actually follow it. What they want is the semblance of respect. Don't say nasty things about the religion and don't go overboard in obedience, either They (the majority you are talking about) want you (you=everybody) to comply with general social rules. That might mean, among other things, going to church, showing up at the bar on Saturday night, smoking, dancing, fighting, swearing, wearing certain kinds of clothing and so on.

They don't want people getting too holy, because that is not part of the general social rules.

The problem of social order.

Every society is concerned with maintaining good social order, bar none. "Good social order" isn't exactly the same everywhere, but it is fairly similar everywhere.

People in multicultural large cities also have social order ideals. For instance, when you are walking down a crowded sidewalk, you are supposed to walk straight ahead and as fast as everybody else. If you are a tourist and stop to look at something, people behind you will run into you and curse at you. People in large cities like New York do not like tourists because tourists walk too slow, might stop to look at something, and other such heinous crimes.

What you are observing is normal. Not nice, necessarily, but normal.

3. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Basically the south doesn't like smartasses. However, there are biker, rebellious types who sin to high heaven and also vocally hate God.

The only experience I had with that was in Seoul, Korea.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  4. WhyWeaver Bacteria

Personal, individual accountability towards God and fellow human beings. It's all that matters at the end of all beliefs, knowledge and value for human life.

5. jimbob Cat Moderator

Well, I live in the South and am an Atheist. The religious folks in the area have learned that I don't want to talk about their religion and that I have my own belief system. I have no problems in this regard.

6. Alexandoy Bacteria

Gee, this is a very serious subject matter. But I agree that when it comes to religion, some people are touchy, some are critical if others, some don't care. I used to be in the first 2 groups but in my adult life I have learned to live and let live, to each his own religion. It's better that way at least we can have a little peace in our hearts.

Believer likes this.
  7. Jason76 Cat Moderator

I think it's mostly a conservative respect for tradition rather than true reverence. It's not cool to be a smarta** in this part of the nation.

8. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yeah, if I lived where you live I wouldn't be spending much time stating that I am an Atheist. That would be nothing less than asking for trouble.

9. jimbob Cat Moderator

Just wanted to let Y'all know that I'm still alive. I'm waiting for Jason to start another thread that I can disagree with.

10. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Sorry - just been busy working, but I will put more time in. Doing some writing as a job part-time.

jimbob likes this.
  11. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yeah, I have to remember that everyone isn't as old as I am and fully retired.

Best wishes with your work.

I'll be around when you get time. I committed myself to making sure the spam posts don't remain in the forum for more than 24 hours.

12. jimbob Cat Moderator

Well, at least we aren't getting flooded with spam any more.

I almost miss it, it gave me something to do here.

13. jimbob Cat Moderator

Well, at least we haven't been getting any spammers lately. That's good.