Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Re-ligare

Discussion in 'Religion' started by to7update, Feb 6, 2017.

1. to7update Atom

I think no one can say for sure how many religions are there in this world. Google says approximately 4.300, and I do wonder why we do have such a high number. Isn't the goal of any religion to connect us with divinity or something superior? The so called re-ligare that it's the Latin origin on the word?

How have we ended up with so many religions?

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

Religions grow out of consolidated cultural societies.

If the number is 4300 then we must assume that there are at least 4300 different cultures of people on the planet.

BTW All cultural societies determine it is necessary to control the people. And really, religions normally start first and then governments grow from there.

3. to7update Atom

Interesting that you say that governments grow out of religions, in the case of the Vatican, that is literally true. Taking the Vatican for example, it's not just about culture and knowledge, it's a business, as they generate millions.

Sure, I even have empathy with this Pope as he seems to have a good heart and common sense, but I would just like see people fighting towards a common goal, and not dispersing their energy because when this happens we can achieve nothing.

KenBrace and jimbob like this.
  4. Jason76 Cat Moderator

What to look out for is not the number of religions, but the ones that are convinced that they are the only true one. However, Hinduism doesn't believe it's the only one, but for cultural and political reasons, they will heavily persecute non-believers in India. On the other hand, Jehovah's Witnesses believe they are the only true religion, but persecute nobody.

Could we say the Roman religion believed it was the only religion or was it relativistic like Hinduism or Buddhism? However, the Roman religion would persecute groups they felt were too anti-patriotic like Christians.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017