Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

PTSD

Discussion in 'Science' started by Jason76, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Does PTSD, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, really exist or should soldiers be slapped for cowardice, as with the case of general George Patton?

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

It really exists. Believe me one this one.

Military personal are required to do things in combat they are morally opposed to. And once these personnel adjust to what is required of them they extend what they do beyond the call of duty. Inner conflict consumes their inner essence. They become something they despise. And many can never get the help they need and become one of the many street people.

3. Jason76 Cat Moderator

True, however, with some groups like the Nazis, sorry to bring up that cliche group, it seems like if would have been aware some evil things would be required of them. For instance, it was already well known how they felt about Jews.

Also, to many in the US military, it would be known they might have to harm women and children or torture civilians. In that case they were always free, especially in a volunteer army to not sign up.

4. jimbob Cat Moderator

During Vietnam most didn't know what would or could be required of them. Go to war ans shoot the enemy; that's all they knew. They had no knowledge that they would need to shoot women or else die. And most never knew that the Viet Cong were using school children to carry explosives to a military outpost and blow up a lot of their comrades. Over time one gets used to it. Just kill anyone who looks like they might be an enemy.

5. Jason76 Cat Moderator

True, that's the sad truth and no doubt much of the civlian population was in on it. Were you in Vietnam? My dad was.

6. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yes, I did one tour in Vietnam. The year of 1970. That was a wasted year of my life. I was already a hardened person at the time so I really wasn't emotionally effected by being there.

Jason76 likes this.
  7. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

PTSD is certainly real, and not just in warfare.

jimbob likes this.
  8. Jason76 Cat Moderator

I'm quite sure racists, though sorry to talk about this topic all the time, have PTSD. Since bullying will never stop, racism never will. It's not as simple as just getting over it. On Facebook one of my relatives was arguing ignorance was the cause of racism, but it seems like the real cause is biased irrational thinking.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    jimbob likes this.
  9. Greengrl Atom

PTSD effects more than just soldiers. They are learning more and more about this disorder every day.
    PTSD changes the way a persons brain functions, especially when introduced to a trigger or traumatic event. There are numerous treatment options available, and most are pretty effective with long-term therapy.
    Any traumatic event can trigger this disorder, abuse, neglect, accident, death. It is not the severity of the trauma, it is the way that the brain processes the trauma. Every person reacts differently to trauma, just as every person reacts differently to pain. Something extremely traumatic to me may not seem traumatic at all to you. PTSD is a real disorder.