Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Price of Artwork

Discussion in 'Other' started by Jason76, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Why does some artwork cost a lot when some of it seems so weird? :-?

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

Man places invisible attributes upon it.

3. Jason76 Cat Moderator

A lot of work goes into art. That's why it's expensive. For instance, a 3D computer art thing might take hours, days, or weeks to create, hence why people don't like doing it for free. Nontheless, if I carved some odd looking rock and that only took a few hours, and then tried to sell it for thousands of dollars, that would seem unjustified to many.

4. jimbob Cat Moderator

I'm not suggesting that it should be offer for free. Value added; the time put into the creation.

But I have seen stuff sold for thousands of dollars that I wouldn't even have in my house.

I have a number of landscape oil paintings on my walls. None cost more than $75 and I consider them nice artwork.

5. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

The value of art is 100% irrational. There is no logical reason why a painting should be worth $100,000,000.

The price of artwork depends on demand and supply, and in the case of relatively new art work, is extremely manipulated.

It's a racket.

6. Ghost_Writer Atom

I think it's impossible to measure the value of an art (at any level) because art is something very abstract to understand and the most can be done to turn the imagination into something real is to create a product (like a film , a painting or a book for example).

Then, based on abstract factors for more expert that someone is in an area of art... Which makes valid the prices determined by them? :-?

There is no reason or a logic to be followed to establish the prices. Everything seems to be based only on the status of each artist (the most famous, always have their work assessed at higher values), which in my view, is also not a viable explanation (just remember how many bad/terrible artists exist around the world and unfortunately earn fortunes for an extremely lousy job :-\").

7. Jason76 Cat Moderator

The price of domain names is starting to rival artwork and diamonds. Some one word or two or three letter .com domains can be bought for half a million to a million dollars.

8. kingcool52 Molecule

The above comment is so true. I've seen some domain names with only a few letters going for hundreds and thousands of dollars which is just stupid in my opinion. The prices of artwork are even worse in my opinion. It seems that the less effort that is put into making a piece of art, the higher the price it goes for. I read an article recently that showed people taking photos and observing a pair of glasses that was left on the floor of an art museum. Someone had dropped them and it wasn't even art. I'm 100% sure someone would have paid thousands for that :D

9. Alexandoy Bacteria

I am not fond of art maybe because I don't have the aptitude. It is mind boggling for me to read about the Sotheby's or Christie's auction on art pieces that reach millions of dollars in bids. Take for example one painting of Vincent Van Gogh, why do people pay a million dollar for that considering it's just a frame with a painting on it. What would happen next? Would it appreciate or depreciate in value? If I have the millions, I would definitely not buy any such art items on auction.

By the way, I have so many artist friends and most of them join competitions. One of them is Dodoy Elopre who joined a national art contest by Philip Morris. He won grand prize for his painting which is not really a painting but a mosaic. He used feathers of chicken to create that image of the netherland. And there was even a story attached to his painting. Great art work but still and all, I wouldn't buy that for a million pesos.