Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Paying it Forward

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Zyni, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Zyni Bacteria

Have you ever been on the giving or receiving end of Pay it Forward? What do you think about this concept?

Do you think that doing something nice for another person has any impact on them? Do you think those who receive these kindnesses are more likely to pass it on, or do most people just shrug and go on?

Not too long ago, the man in front of me at the grocery store paid for my items. I was taken aback. I tried to tell him no, but he insisted. He said he had told the clerk he was going to pay for the next person's stuff. He said, "Hey, you only have a couple things, so I got off easy." He laughed then told me how someone had done the same for him and that he was just paying it forward.

I now want to do the same (although I will have to make sure it's someone who doesn't have a ton of stuff first, because I really can't afford that). I would love to pick up the tab for someone though. It made my day, and I want to do that for someone else.

What say you?

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

It is a good concept and practice.

I used to practice it.

I don't anymore mostly because I am pretty old and time for me to devout my resources to myself.

3. Believer Bacteria

I think that this is a good idea; but I see no sense at in in just doing it haphazardly with someone at a store. There are people who can afford it and they will pay off someone's layaway presents at Christmas, or they donate to help a low-income family that really needs the help, and I think that this is a great way to help people out.
    I think that anyone would be surprised and happy to have the person in line ahead of us pay for our groceries; but if we are not in need of that, I would rather that they were generous to help someone who really needed the help instead.
    When I was a girl growing up, my mom always kept money in her Bible, and when people came to her for help, she used the money to help these people out, whether it was a good haircut to get a job, or just a decent pair of shoes to wear. She could have donated that money to the church instead; but then she would never have known if it truly helped a needy person or not, and she said that this way, she felt like she was helping out where it was most needed.
    I have seen the stories where someone left a waitress a $500 tip just because they could afford to do that, and it always makes me think, what about the other waitresses who worked there, and tried just as hard as the one who got the big tip ? Did she share with the others, or just enjoy it all herself because she got it free ?
    Who knows, but I hope that she shared.......

ray, Zyni and jimbob like this.
  4. KenBrace Bird Administrator

It's not a bad idea. I might give it a try some time.

Zyni likes this.
  5. Jasmin Cottontail Molecule

Yes I believe it's a good deed. If only people pay it forward then I think that the whole world will be awesome :) I remember watching the movie Pay It Forward and it was an incredible one, my all time favorite film :D Doing good to others feels really good and I feel blessed whenever I do good deeds to other people :D

Zyni and jimbob like this.
  6. Zyni Bacteria

I never really thought about it like that, @Believer. I think it's nice to help those in need as well, but I still think it's nice just to make someone's day once in while for no real reason. Just a random act of kindness.

@KenBrace wouldn't it be fun to make someone smile, just because? :)

I agree, Jasmin. It also made me feel good when it was done for me, so I want to make someone else feel the same.

jimbob likes this.
  7. DR KOKIL AGARWAL Molecule

Is that so..I'm sorry but I have never seen or heard anything like this in my country.If I'm not mistaken I think it a small gesture of charity that people try to do.

But according to me it would be wise to render help to the millions who cannot afford their living. Instead of paying for a person who can afford their stuff it is better to extend a hand for those who cannot make their ends meet.

Whenever I can I always extend a helping hand to people living on roads . This gives ma an eternal satisfaction.

8. ray Bacteria

I have never done that intentionally but but once bough rail ticket for an elderly person because he had lost his wallet somewhere and nothing left in his pockets. I gave him a few bucks so that he ate while in transit. He insisted I gave him my address so he could return my money. I gave him my address reluctantly but never heard from him.

jimbob likes this.
  9. jimbob Cat Moderator

You did good Ray. True charity does not consider what happens afterwards.

ray likes this.