Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Online Education

Discussion in 'Other' started by Jason76, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Wouldn't education that's totally online, even without any in-class tests, be inferior? How about classes that have only in-class tests? Myself, I see nothing wrong with those. However, in the real world, a lot of jobs require you to go to an actual workplace, so maybe your not getting adequete training.

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

Many different points of view regarding this. In many aspects of my life I am self-taught. In other areas I have needed assistance. I suppose it depends on the naturalness of what we are trying to learn.

3. KenBrace Bird Administrator

It also depends on the individual. Some people learn better in the comfort of home while others do better with a real life instructor.

I'm somewhat in between. I don't want to do all of my work at a building but I also don't want everything to be online. I think an even mixture of live classes plus online work is best.

Selena likes this.
  4. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

The experience with online coursework has been mixed, so I've heard. I'm not citing studies here... just memory of what I've read...

The completion rate of MOOCs - massive online open courses - has been poor. However, these tend to be free and open, so most students are venturing nothing upfront. Some students are taking the course for credit (possibly paying too) and they tend to finish. The performance of commercial on-line degree programs is... so so. Since these are money-making businesses, there is no incentive on the part of the so called on-line universities (like Kaplan University) to incentivize students to complete the courses on time. If students don't complete, they pay extra.

I think it takes much more discipline to complete a legitimate degree program on line than in person, since there is no social element which makes going to class and interacting useful and pleasant. I think campus work can be combined with on line work, though, and in fact is combined at a lot of colleges (even high schools).

5. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Ultimately many will have to interact socially on the job, so isn't an online education shortchanging people in that respect?

KenBrace likes this.
  6. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

Some young people really aren't ready for the work place, and they need the social development opportunity which college offers. I was that way -- intellectually smart enough but socially I was a dumb ox. I definitely wasn't ready for the work place at 17. College helped a lot socially.

KenBrace likes this.
  7. patriciakay Fish

I am done with the "butts in seats" style of education. I have crap loads of it, and have no desire for more. I love online education.

I think that online education, like anything, has its merits and its demerits. It might be good for one person, or one situation, but not another. Some people may need the input and motivation of having others around them, but some might learn best alone. The most important thing to know is that sitting and taking in information does not prepare anyone for anything significant. You can't train a teacher while she is sitting on her butt, you can't train a lawyer that way, and you certainly can't train a nurse or an engineer. All you can do is give them background information and teach them how to think in that vocation.

Any higher education besides a liberal arts degree, is vocational education. If you are in law school, you are in a vocational school, if you are getting your MBA, you are in a vocational school, med school, the same. You can't learn a vocation sitting and not moving around. For that reason, you can't get an exclusively online education for a profession. You have to mix it up with different types of lab or intern work.

I like that online education gives a different choice. It opens up new possibilities for people to keep learning, and it is allowing many people to move into new careers who otherwise would not be able to.

Selena and KenBrace like this.
  8. KenBrace Bird Administrator

I can definitely relate to this. Good social skills are very important for financial success. College helps introduce kids to the adult world and the work place environment. If you go through college then you'll come out feeling a lot more confident about your abilities. I think a good way of putting it is that college helps to turn kids into adults.

9. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Well, just as long as online doesn't mean soft. It's a lot of money to pay. Often you have to pay more, so we need to get our money's worth. Honestly, in regards to a lot of courses, I don't think online would be better.

10. Vinicius Atom

Digital education refers to the use of technology and educational resources to prepare the individual for life in the information society. This is the institute that has, among many objectives, to provide social inclusion of people in the digital world, ensuring sociability, culture and learning about the characteristics of a society where information is a valuable asset and a source of wealth. Digital education should not be confused with "computers in education" because while it is focused on the pure teaching of information technology use in the day-to-day, that, concerned with educating citizens aware of the characteristics of online life, their risks, details , rights and obligations.

In thesis, It is amazing, but in my country, a lot of colleges see the opportunities to earn easy money of the people do not have time to attend a college in regular time.

11. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Some professors resent the massive emails to thier online courses. The whole idea involved the fact that the students were supposed to be more independent than tradtional students. In other words, they could handle tasks more on thier own, without being baby-stepped thru everything.

12. Jason76 Cat Moderator

How would it be easy money for the college though? The professor still has to make video recordings of every lecture, grade papers etc..

13. patriciakay Fish

Digital education means no physical library, no cafeteria, no need for full time professors, no football team, no gym, no parking lot, no alumni house, and no freshman dorms filled with crazy, barely 18 year old kids.

KenBrace likes this.
  14. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Oh gosh, that wouldn't be any fun. :rolleyes: :ROFL:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    KenBrace likes this.
  15. anupamas2 Atom

I have done my graduation in distance education. I did not attend any classes. But the exams were not online, we had written exams. However, I feel that classroom education is better than distance education, be it online or otherwise.

16. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Online courses would be good for someone who knows the subject in and out, cannot afford transportation fees, wants to save on transportation fees, has took the course before, or simply has such self discipline that they don't need regular lectures.

17. Ghost_Writer Atom

As a teacher, I don't believe (at least not 100%) in online education system.

Although some students learn better in the comfort of their homes (which really is a more pratical way), only the schools - and consequently, the teachers - provides some aspects of fundamental importance when it comes to building character of each student (for instance: social interaction, environmental and political values, etc...) and these values must necessarily be learned personally, because they're values inherent in training for adulthood.

All the convenience offered by online education system will never replace what a real school can do... However, I can see a great improvement in the educational system if one day these two forms of education go together in the same direction.

18. Vinaya Molecule

How much you know will not been seen by other people unless you show it by doing things. Therefore,what matters is your knowledge, rather than a degree. In the modern times, you will earn based on your knowledge and skills.Thus I believe online education can actually suffice offline education. I studied online writing through online class, I have been earning through online writing since 2012. I am also thinking to take some online classes to develop my skills.

19. ray Bacteria

There are certain things which you learn better i a proper place. Like you cannot learn finer points of technical and scientific lessons without going to a proper lab or a workshop but there are things which you can learn sitting in your home. One needs to chose a subject according to his ability of time and physical presence because one cannot learn everything online.

20. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

This is true. One can learn a foreign language by oneself at home, especially if one's goal is to be able to read and maybe write the language. One can learn how to speak a foreign language, but only to some degree. Effective speaking ability requires interaction with another speaker--who is fluent. Speaking any language just involves a lot more subtlety. I'm working on learning French at home. I'm 70, and have no interest at this point in going to class. My objective is to be able to read French. I can't really afford a long vacation in France, anyway, or even Quebec, so no need to to become a good speaker.

On-line, and home study can be effective in many fields, BUT more self-motivation is needed, and excellent instructional materials geared to on line/home learning need to be used. Just because somebody is selling on-line learning doesn't mean they are employing excellent instructional materials and approaches.