Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Motive of Forum Spam

Discussion in 'Board Discussion' started by Jason76, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Jason76 Cat Moderator

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

You always have new people who want to try it because they are told they could earn lots of bucks.

I doubt such stuff will ever cease.

I am the Welcome Master at DaoBums (new membership approval agent) and I regularly get spammers trying to advertise their stuff. Obviously those requests do not get approved.

3. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Yeah but those spam messages are really retarded, often with incredibly broken English. In that case, I doubt if the sender wants people to buy. He's just harassing people. That may not be the case with email spam, but is with the blog and forum kind. But JimBob hasn't messed around with running a blog or forum.

4. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yeah, most of the spammers I see are Eastern European or Southeast Asia. English is a second language.

The DaoBums has had a few attempts to mess the board up by pissed-off ex-members. I have not gotten directly involved in those though.

Jason76 likes this.
  5. Jason76 Cat Moderator

V bulliten was so torn up by spam on many forums I saw, that's I'm wondering how thier forum software company is still in business. Let's see, there was a home biz forum, a math forum that I saw where the administrators, and I'm sure they were smart people, couldn't keep out the spammers.

6. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yeah, I guess it's just the nature of some people. Fuck with whoever you can. And it's easier when no one knows who they are.

7. Jason76 Cat Moderator

I never thought cockroaches would ever have real competition.:-?

8. jimbob Cat Moderator

Cockroaches are very good at doing what they do. No ego involved. People are different.

9. Jason76 Cat Moderator

They have to survive and that's their job. On the other hand, spammers are doing this for no good reason.

jimbob likes this.
  10. jimbob Cat Moderator

Or even with evil intent.

11. Conspiracy State Molecule

Yes V Bulletin is still going strong...As far as spammers its not the sales so much its the clicks getting noticed is what counts. V Bulletin has several mods that are extremely effective against spammers. That said it don't matter what forum software you use its not immune to spammers.

12. Jason76 Cat Moderator

A lot of V Bulletin forums run by fairly smart people, a math one, a popular home biz one, were eaten up by spammers.

13. Conspiracy State Molecule

Granted spammers are a problem with any forum or software being used.....It falls on the Administration of that particular forum to combat the issue.....Banning IP addresses, E-mails etc are some ways to combat the spammer problem.....

14. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Link building is probably a big motivation.

It could also be ad money. These spam "companies" probably get paid to "advertise" for people.

Some of it probably is an attempt at gaining clicks/traffic. Let's say 99% of people ignore spam posts. Well, if you can generate 10,000 spam posts across the internet daily, then you'll get roughly 100 clicks per day. :-?

15. Jason76 Cat Moderator

100 clicks though isn't enough to generate enough probability to get one purchase of the product.

16. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Perhaps the spammer is promoting someone else's product. And since they are driving clicks, the advertiser thinks the advertising is beneficial. Eventually, they will probably find out that they aren't getting sales but by then they might have another advertiser.

17. Jason76 Cat Moderator

No thanks, as an advertiser, I will pass on the shitty low quality traffic source. :D