Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Manufactured Happiness

Discussion in 'Science' started by Jason76, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Jason76 Cat Moderator

People on drugs or having sex are happy cause dopamine receptors are pushed. However should we fiddle around with dopamine with drugs and medically proscribed drugs? How about exercise? Well, few would argue that's bad, but in a sense your just doing another drug. :-?

On a deeper level perhaps too much pleasure is bad as it makes a phony world. Some joy comes from lack of dopamine.

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

You really let your mind play with that post.

My signature box used to read "Peace and Happiness". I had to change it because "happiness" is so difficult to define.

I don't, and never have, used drugs but I would think that this is only a very temporary happiness that has to be reinforced after the drug wears off.

If a person needs and uses drugs in order to have a happy feeling then they have a serious problem. May have been caused by others but it is still a serious problem.

I agree, too much pleasure is bad. The middle road. Moderation.

Selena likes this.
  3. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Possibly a deeper joy comes from an awareness of truth, beauty, all that mushy mushy stuff. What more buzz someone need on top of that except a cup of coffee. Therefore, I cannot understand people addicted to every pill imaginable, and meth. Well, maybe I can. I did do some drinking at one time and it is addicitive.

I think though eventually the drinking life becomes empty and also you become a shallow fool.

jimbob likes this.
  4. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

Truth, beauty, and all that mushy slop appeals to us. We may read it, hear it, look at it, and so on, but we need neurotransmitters to FEEL pleasure. Certain drugs, acting on neurotransmitters, also give us pleasure. So does sex, good food, playing with the dog, wonderful music, etc. All these things stimulate neurotransmitters which are registered as a feeling of pleasure.

Some people are a lot more likely than others to get hooked on the pleasures drugs can stimulate. People who are genetically not prone to get addicted, generally don't get addicted. Millions and millions of people have taken narcotics for pain or to suppress chronic coughing, and never felt the slightest addiction. When the pain or coughing went away, they didn't miss the narcotic at all. Others, though, got one dose of narcotic (or, like, meth) and knew they had to have a lot more of that. It could be that addicts don't feel pleasure enough, naturally, and are therefore more susceptible to any chemical that does help them feel pleasure. Don't know.

Even the benefit of a cup of coffee is shaped by genetics. People who are 'fast metabolizers of caffeine' receive health benefits from coffee. 'Slow metabolizers' don't. Too much coffee makes them sick.

Drinking and drugging both, or either one alone.

5. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

You don't have to define it. "Happiness" is a foundational term. Most people know what happiness feels like. No definition is going to improve on the feeling of happiness. Or take pain, another bedrock term. What definition could possibly improve on anyone's personal experience of pain? Pain, the pleasure of a good cup of coffee in the morning, the annoyance of one's dog chewing up one's good shoes, a feeling of loneliness--all kinds of feelings and conditions can not be defined, and they are universal. Everyone experiences pleasure, pain, happiness, sorrow, loneliness, boredom, irritation, and so on -- eventually. If someone has never lost a loved one (many children have not) sorrow might not mean much to them, yet. No definition will help them understand it. Once they do experience sorrow, no definition will be necessary.

I'm not exactly sure what "peace" is either, but on Sunday during "the peace" we say to each other "peace be with you". It doesn't have to be defined. If you have felt peace, you don't need a definition.

Peace has a number of different practical meanings, like a feeling of contentment and inclusion, sort of, but it also means that armies aren't shelling each other any more. Peace for an army probably doesn't mean a feeling of contentment and inclusion.

So use these words with confidence. Nobody expects you to have the perfect will-satisfy-every-quibbler definition.

jimbob likes this.
  6. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yeah, you are right QC. But I still like to be able to define the words I use when communicating with others.

7. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Since emotions change from one day to another, things like suicide are so tragic.

8. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yes, suicide is a tragedy. It is saying that the person could not find solutions for their problems and there was no one who could help them with their problems.

9. Believer Bacteria

I do not think that a drug-induced state produces actual happiness; it may lead to a feeling of euphoria, that lasts for a while, but that is different than actually being happy. Even some food releases endorphins that make a person feel good when they eat the food, and that is why we call those types of food "comfort food".
    Once the euphoria wears off, then the person may become depressed or upset, so the mood swings will run from one end of the gamut to the other.
    Actual happiness is a peaceful and content feeling inside that lasts, and (oddly enough) we can still be happy overall, even when something is not going as planned; so this happiness is very different than the mood swings that come from endorphins or any kind of drugs.

jimbob likes this.
  10. Selena Bacteria

Sometimes though the dopamine and serotonin are off in someone's brain and that's why they are prescribed antidepressants.

I think most have to be on them a long time but sometimes it's only temporary. They really aren't happy pills in the same sense that some other drugs are and it takes awhile for them to be effective but it does help some people.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  11. tonyb Bacteria

It's a fact that people now go about manufacturing happiness by either engaging in drinking, smoking and others. Some others derive happiness by going with women turning womanizers. In all I sincerely think everything should be done in moderation.