Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Man cannot reach another galaxy

Discussion in 'Science' started by Alexandoy, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Alexandoy Bacteria

With the limitation of speed, man has no way of going outside the solar system for now. It will take lightyears to reach the nearest star and much longer for a trip to another galaxy. With our present technology of space travel, it is impossible to travel that far because it will take countless of generations before man can reach the target of another galaxy. I think it is better to focus on the reachable planets that is attainable than the impossible dream to reach the unreachable star.

2. Decentlady Bacteria

I may have my science knowledge skewed but I thought stars were a part of our galaxy, the Milky Way?

Of course humans can't explore each and every star in the galaxy but they are sure trying to check out all that is within their ability.

3. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yes, our galaxy contains about 200 billion stars. But as Alxandoy mentioned, it would take light years to reach even the closest. That speed of travel is not possible for humans. A slower speed that humans could live through would cause the travel to take much longer. It is my understanding that whatever type of extra-galaxy travel is planned must include the concept of multiple generations being born and dying during the travel.

4. Flaming_Dorito Atom

In my opinion, we have so many issues here on earth that we should solve before we try to even explore space. What will we do with other planets that cannot support life if we don't even have a planet to live on. There are so many social, economic and environmental issues plaguing the earth. Like racism, global warming, Wars, unrests and conflicts, etc. First governments should focus on resolving these issues and then invest in space exploration.

jimbob and Decentlady like this.
  5. Jason76 Cat Moderator

On one side, we cannot possibly go to planets in our galaxy cause we are far away from having effective shielding equipment. On the other hand, the Earth's population overall - is set to explode - even though certain nations are on the decline. If these people have to migrate it will cause massive social problems - and of course, there is the issue of smaller food supplies.

Anyway, who had it worse? People of times past wanting to move to other parts of the Earth, which at least had the same atmosphere, or people now?

6. Decentlady Bacteria

You certainly have a point there however, do you honestly think that these viscious poisons will ever end as long as the greedy human race exists?

I don't think so. Money, technology and power has man so blinded that he can no longer see beyond the greed.

jimbob likes this.