Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Karma - Do you always get what you really want?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by KenBrace, Oct 4, 2017.

1. KenBrace Bird Administrator

So I was tripping on acid the other day and listening to Alan Watts. I had been thinking a lot about the topic of karma, non-duality, consciousness, etc. leading up to this experience but the whole idea of karma never really made sense to me. The idea that there is a cosmic justice system seems pretty absurd. The idea of cause and effect also did not seem reasonable because human morals aren't something that would factor into a mechanical system.

During the trip, however, I realized that karma is based on the idea that every action involves other action. That everything manifests its existence as a vibration between polarities. So for example, if I get a white piece of paper and draw a black pattern on it, that pattern isn't just the black part or the white part. The two aspects are working together to manifest a design. So in the same way space and matter work together. You can't have just space without matter or just matter without space. In the same way, you can't experience comfort without also experiencing discomfort. The feeling of comfort is the crest of the wave and the feeling of discomfort is the trough. But that wave couldn't exist without both the crest and the trough. The larger the crest, the larger the trough, and vise versa. The same is true of consciousness and unconsciousness. Every sort of existence in the universe is a vibration between two opposites. Some opposites vibrate between each other very quickly like noise and silence when they are creating a song. Some rhythms have a very long vibration like life and death or even the birth and death of a universe. They are still rhythms just like your heartbeat though.

So this is why in Buddhism it is said that desire is cause of suffering. Because if you desire comfort then you are simultaneously desiring discomfort because the two require each other. If you want to experience love then you also need to experience indifference because feeling the lack of love is the only way you would know what love felt like. So if you desire something then you are also desiring the experiences that go with and define it.

I was able to see during this experience that everything that had ever happened to me is exactly what I wanted. It's just that I was unconscious of it at the time. I was under the illusion that the crest of an experience could exist without the trough. Pretty mind blowing. This also goes hand in hand with the idea that the universe is one field and that your true identity is the entire universe. So you're not John Doe but actually God experiencing itself through trillions of life forms at once.

Any thoughts on this perspective?

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

Thoughts? Yes. One does not think while on acid. One is having hallucinations.

I am not God. However, I am the center of my universe. Big difference between the two.

Karma is "cause and effect". There is no magic beyond that.

3. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Oh no you definitely have thoughts. I believe it has the ability to make you aware of the background of all your experiences. Ordinarily we only notice the figure but while tripping you tend to notice the figure and the background equally. This tends to give away the illusion.

How is it different?

I guess it depends on how you define God. I'm definitely not saying that you are a monotheistic-style god.

Cause and effect is different than mutual transaction. For example, the inside of a box doesn't cause the outside of the box. The two imply each other. The same could be said of our perception of self and other. If you think of your hand as you and a tree as not you, then that idea is based on an arbitrary definition of the self. This definition of the self determines whether or not you believe that something happens to you or if it's your own doing. If you squeeze your fist then you say it is your own doing. If someone steals something from you then most people would say that it happened to them and someone else is to blame. However, where is the fine line that makes an event your doing or not your doing? The line of division is illusory. So if you take this into consideration then it could be said that everything is your doing and to blame anyone but yourself for your situation in life is a delusion.

4. jimbob Cat Moderator

Well, I always speak against the use of drugs and even excessive alcohol consumption. I have seen to many people screw up their life involved in both. And it is against the Daoist concept of living one's life naturally.

I am a Materialist. If it ain't attached to me and cannot be easily removed then it is not me but something else. I am one of the Ten Thousand Things and the chair I am sitting n is a different one of the Ten Thousand Things.

However, I take full responsibility for all my actions and inactions. I hold to the Zoroastrian concept (although I am an Atheist and don't hold to the concept of God) that God created man and gave him free will but also charged him with the responsibility for all his thoughts, words, and deeds.

There is nothing supernatural that is controlling my life. The processes of nature present me with life situations and I have to make choices as to how to deal with the situations.