Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Is there a safe dosage of certain illegal drugs?

Discussion in 'Other' started by Jason76, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Jason76 Cat Moderator

It's not cool in some circles to say cocaine, heroin, and LSD are just stuff people shouldn't touch at all, but could there be logic to it? Can you actually moderately mess with them like alcohol?

For instance, heroin and crack cocaine are powerfully addicting and enslaving on the first try. Also, who knows if a heart attack could ensue on one shot of cocaine by someone who never touched it.

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

The safest is at a zero level.

Believer and Selena like this.
  3. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

Of course there are safe levels of "certain illegal drugs" just as there are safe levels of legal drugs. One of the big problems with illegal drugs is that the FDA doesn't oversee purity or dosage. So, you buy a hit on the street; it might be anything at all.

But, assuming that one is actually getting what one thinks one is getting (reasonably pure cocaine, heroin, ecstasy... whatever) and assuming that one is familiar with how much one can tolerate, one can take the drugs without dropping dead on the spot--usually, anyway.

Cocaine, opiates of all kinds, nicotine, methamphetamine, alcohol -- et al -- are readily addictive substances, but individual differences determine whether and how quickly one will get hooked. Most people do not get hooked on anything the first time they try it, but a fairly small percentage will. Their brains are super-susceptible to that particular drug.

I became addicted to nicotine, but it took some effort on my part. I have drunk alcohol (never more than 5 drinks a day) without ever craving it. I've been given narcotics for pain (morphine and codeine) and found it more or less effective for pain, but otherwise a non-experience. I used to occasionally take a narcotic+tylenol for bad headaches, but eventually replaced it with ibuprofen, which worked better.

That's my experience. Never tried cocaine or meth. Caffeine is about all the stimulant I care to encounter. I am a "normal" in this way. Most people don't get addicted to alcohol, narcotics, or cocaine. But a certain percentage will, if they use it regularly. (it's maybe...10%? 8%...??? of the population.)

Overdoses of legal drugs can make one quite sick. Take some of the psychiatric and anti-seizure drugs: the difference between "just enough to be effective" and "enough to be toxic) is very small in some cases. For lithium, a little too much makes one feel like one has been poisoned--which one has. Not quite enough and it doesn't help. Not quite enough coumadin, or a little too much, can result in fatal consequences, and so on.

4. Jason76 Cat Moderator

I'd like to believe what QC is totally true, but pain pills and crack cocaine have turned so many into slaves that Iv'e become very cynical on the whole matter.

5. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

There are no drawbacks to being cautious about recreational drugs.

6. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Opiates like coke and heroin are best avoided. Screwing with your reward system isn't wise.

LSD is a whole nother story. Coffee shares more similarities with coke/heroin/meth/etc. than LSD does.

The way that illegal substances are all stigmatized as being in the same group of "drugs" is very misleading. Opiates and psychedelics are two entirely separate groups that affect the mind in entirely different ways.

If you're going to do something like molly or acid then forking out $20 for a testing kit is wise.

7. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Basically, coffee is legally and socially acceptable cocaine/heroin.

8. KenBrace Bird Administrator

This is true to a certain extent. Heroin and coke are perhaps more dangerous versions of caffeine. It is certainly possible to die of a caffeine overdose but you'd have to consume 100+ cans of Redbull. Not that easy to do. If you injected pure caffeine straight into your blood stream like you typically do with heroin then perhaps it would be more practical to overdose.

Heroin and coke also tend to be more addictive due to the intensity of the high that is produced.

9. Selena Bacteria

Safe levels of most drugs aren't going to get you high and you will keep needing more and more to achieve the high you want...that's when you could overdose.

Especially all the ones that slow respiration or the ones that speed up the heart.