Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

How many gods ?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Flaming_Dorito, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Flaming_Dorito Atom

I believe there is only 1 true god and all religions simply see him from different aspects. What do you guys think?

2. moondebi Molecule

I do not know about 'true' God, but go by the opinion that there's only one force or entity with a countless manifestation. It is like water... you take it from a pond, river, tap, or any other source, sans the impurities.. the basic element remains the same everywhere.

Selena likes this.
  3. jimbob Cat Moderator

From a religious POV there can be only one Prime Mover. Therefore I would agree that the differences are a result of the different cultures of man.

In Taoism there is a concept called Tzujan (self-becoming). It is based in the processes of nature. Rarely is there ever any questioning of a Prime Mover.

Selena likes this.
  4. ray Bacteria

I am not sure and I don't even care. In my views there is a supreme power that runs this world. I call them Mother Nature but you're free to call them whatever you like to call them.

Selena likes this.
  5. jimbob Cat Moderator

You have earned the label of "Apathetic-Agnostic".

Selena, ray and Believer like this.
  6. Jasmin Cottontail Molecule

There are several religions that believe in many gods, but I only believe in one God. There are also other religions who believe in one God but have different names for Him. We worship Him in different ways and in different manner but I think what's important is that we worship the same God :)

Selena likes this.
  7. Kenicia Atom

In today's world religion is dividing us all.Every religion has their own Gods.Most call him by different names.

Selena likes this.
  8. ray Bacteria

I think most of us have no option but chose a middle path because you never know. I belong to a religion that has no lesser than 340 million deities :)

Selena likes this.
  9. jimbob Cat Moderator

Sounds like Hindu.

The animistic religions generally had even more than that.

ray and Selena like this.
  10. Selena Bacteria

When I believed, it was in only one God....now I'm not so sure about even one God but definitely there isn't more than one....that would make the one God weak and disappointing.

So that's why there probably isn't any God, he wouldn't allow for all other religions who believe differently...makes sense. :)

ray and jimbob like this.
  11. DR KOKIL AGARWAL Molecule

Even I feel the same. God is a single supreme soul who rules the world. He might be known by different names and worshipped in different manners but the staying is always correct that God is one.

ray and jimbob like this.
  12. ray Bacteria

Although I am a Hindu by birth but belong to a sect that does not believe in deities so it does not apply on me. We have a different way of practicing our religion that has no place for deities but teaches us to love human and for us Nature is supreme.

Selena likes this.
  13. jimbob Cat Moderator

And this is why, in my understanding, that Hindu and Taoists (I am one) have more in common than do Buddhism and Taoism.

ray likes this.
  14. Believer Bacteria

Because no one really knows what God is, or even how the world and life on earth actually started; there have been all kinds of stories down through the ages about what different groups of people thought about God. If there is a God that created and watches over this earth, he is what he is, regardless of people having so many different perceptions about God.

The old fable about the blind men and the elephant is a great analogy for this.
    All of the blind men stood around an elephant, and each felt a different part of the elephant, i.e. The ears, the trunk, the legs, and the tail. Then, each one gave a description of what an elephant was like, and of course, their ideas were all totally different; because they could only try to explain the part of the elephant that they had touched, and none of them could see the elephant to actually KNOW what one looks like.
    In many ways, this is how I see humanity when we try to explain who and what God is, and although some of what we understand might be correct, none of us can see the whole truth about any of this.

jimbob likes this.