Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

How do you deal with "White Lies"?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Shine_Spirit, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Shine_Spirit Bacteria

I know people (some of them are my close friends) who can't stand any kind of lies, no matter the size or reason for them.

I particularly think it's a kind of exaggeration, because white lies are nothing more than lies with good intentions. I know that hell is full of good intentions, but we have to separate things.

For example: You can lie because you are organizing a surprise birthday party. What is the problem? :-? I mean, there is nothing too much to hide some information for the benefit of some good event.

"Lies" and "White Lies" works in completely different ways for me.

Jasmin Cottontail likes this.
  2. Jasmin Cottontail Molecule

Indeed :) White lies can be acceptable especially if it's for the benefit of the other person or if a person doing it has good intentions just like with the sample you've provided. I just couldn't stand lies wherein it can hurt people more than it can feel good, but telling lies to make people feel good isn't a good lie as well.

3. jimbob Cat Moderator

The truth is always best, even when it might be a little hurtful.

And sadly, truth is becoming harder and harder to find recently, especially from the media.

4. DR KOKIL AGARWAL Molecule

Any lies said for the benefit of the person concerned is not a big issue. Life allows such moderate alteration. But apart from then any lie done with an intention of fraud and bad instinct is completely unacceptable for me ...be it anything.

jimbob likes this.
  5. Selena Bacteria

I know so many lies people have told about other people behind their back in pms. Actually the lie isn't in the pm it's on the open forum when the poster pretends to like you, lol.

One forum someone was making fun of a picture of a woman in Texas who was wearing leggings so tight that she had a camel toe, the person laughing the loudest pretends to be her friend now. It goes on all the time, games people play....not so nice, really!

jimbob likes this.
  6. pwarbi Bacteria

Life would be a lot easier if everything was black and white but sadly that isn't the case and there IS a grey area. It's alright saying that no lie is a good thing, but if telling the truth is going to hurt and harm an individual, or cause a massive negative impact then surely a lie is the better course of action?

People who say that they never lie and 'tell it like it is'...you often find don't have very many friends, and while they can pride themselves on being honest, what good is honesty if nobody wants to have anything to do with you because you upset them every time you decide to open your mouth? Would you want a person to tell you that you only had an hour to live, or would you prefer not to know? I wouldn't want to know and I can see a reason why a person would lie about something like that, to protect that person.

I'm not condoning telling lies, but if the person that told them thinks they are doing it for the best and as the other persons interest at heart, I can see why a white lie can be acceptable.

jimbob likes this.