Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Health Fanatics

Discussion in 'Science' started by Jason76, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Does be over-zealous about your health payoff? Well, we know George Burns liked cigars and lived to be 100, my uncle is in his 70s and puffs away. However, with others there is horrific scenes of being tied to an oxygen tank to deal with emphysema.

Also, when looking at food, some can handle fast food, but other eventually have to have arteries drained and other extreme stuff just to stay alive.

However, getting men to stop smoking is a tough sell in many parts of the world as it's seen as society approved masculine behavior.

Hey, but it's only fun. PC police don't ruin my fun. :rolleyes:

Selena and KenBrace like this.
  2. jimbob Cat Moderator

And the health nuts lay in hospital beds dying from nothing.

I would much rather die doing what I want to do instead of dying because I did what others wanted me to do.

Selena, Zyni and Believer like this.
  3. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

Following health advice, or not, isn't a matter of choosing what you are going to die from. Most people die of three causes: heart attack (heart failure), cancer, and stroke. That's the case whether you smoke or not, are a vegan or a bacon eater, and drink a lot, or not. It's roughly a third apiece. There are other causes of death, of course: accidents, infections, gunshot wounds, kidney failure, and so on.

Lifestyle (smoking or not, using recreational drugs or not, drinking heavily or not, eating a lot of fat or not, and so on) have more to do with when you will die and what your demise will be like. If, for instance, you smoke a lot and drink heavily, you can expect a shorter life of which the last 5 to 10 years might be quite degraded by mouth or esophageal cancer, emphysema, lung cancer, heart disease, and so on. People who are very overweight tend to die a bit sooner, but often lose personal mobility. Arthritis, insufficient muscle strength, a breakdown in the lymphatic system in the legs (causing major swelling--edema) make it difficult for them to move around easily or independently.

Liver disease, kidney disease, and macular degeneration (deterioration of the optic nerve) may not be fatal, but they can reduce one's quality of life quite severely.

Unless you plan on forgoing treatment, individual lifestyle choices affect everyone. One reason why health care is so expensive is that we have a lot of chronic disease resulting from lifestyle choices. We all pay for that.

It is undoubtedly more delightful to ride a motorcycle without a helmet on. Same goes for bicycle riding. But traumatic brain injury (TBI) which helmets are designed to reduce [see note below] are very expensive when the fallen rider is quite injured but doesn't die. TBI usually results in a decades of care.

On average, people who do not smoke, do not drink heavily, do not use recreational drugs frequently, eat a healthy diet, exercise at least moderately, and avoid gratuitous risks (like swimming in an alligator-infested swamp) live longer and healthier lives.

NOTE: Bicycle helmets, at least, protect more against skull fracture than TBI. If you fly over the handlebars and hit something hard, there will almost certainly be concussion -- possibly severe -- whether you have a helmet on or not. Helmets can't absorb that much energy. But they can protect the skull bones. Motorcycle helmets are much heavier and are padded which might actually prevent some TBI. But even if there isn't an impact, a motorcycle helmet can help prevent debilitating damage to the skull and face.

KenBrace and jimbob like this.
  4. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Right the way you go is often horrible. That seems to be the problem, and depending on the genetics certain vices will do that. I'm quite sure though that tobacco is way worse than fast food and soda, though genetics plays a role.

Of course, QC gave the example of him exercising at it doing nothing, but I think he's a rare case. Most people in the USA don't exercise and that plays a massvie role in why their bodies cannot handle fast food, soda, and possibly the effect of tobacco would be massively worse.

Generally kids see bicycle helmets as for wusses, an episode of the Simpsons was saying that to an effect. It would be tough to get most kids, boys especially to wear one.

Actually they aren't really needed, as long as kids don't ride on roads with fast cars and don't speed down hills for fun, but doing that is fun. It's a problem in hilly or mountainous areas.

Notice in my area, even adults ride bicycles on these roads with way too much traffic, and it's full of rednecks who don't like bicyclists, or joggers. It's a wonder they're not killed, accidently, or on purpose, but ruled an accident.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    jimbob likes this.
  5. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

Jason76 said "QC gave the example of him exercising at it doing nothing"...

Just to clarify: I was certainly more fit; I just didn't lose any weight.

6. jimbob Cat Moderator

I have never lost weight when I exercised. But then, losing weight wasn't a goal at the time - building strength and endurance was the goal.

7. Jason76 Cat Moderator

We always need to look at averages and statistics etc.. One person's experience cannot hold as a represenative of all experiences, unless that sample has went thru the statistics process.

8. jimbob Cat Moderator

I don't use statistics or any one else as my standards. I use myself and how I feel.

9. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Genetics has a lot to do with what sort of diseases you get. Some people can get away with smoking easier than others. However, those others can probably get away with fatty foods easier than some people. Your genes most likely determine how you will die in the end because your own personal weaknesses will eventually give way. Making healthy choices throughout your life determines how fast your weaknesses are exploited. You can live to be 90 smoking every day, but had you not smoked you might have lived to be 95 or 100. The same goes for diet, exercise, sleep, stress, etc. I suppose you could say that vegans are health nuts but it's proven that they live longer lives on average, so apparently they are doing something right.

[​IMG]

Selena and jimbob like this.
  10. jimbob Cat Moderator

I feel good 'cause I don't use drugs.

And I agree, our genetics play a very important part as to how healthy a life we will live.

11. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Sorry to say, but of all the drugs meth is the least appealing. :-? Cocaine at best is just like a lot of coffee and heroin is just super-grade alcohol.

It doesn't mean anything scientifically.

12. jimbob Cat Moderator

But Jason, my life doesn't have to be explained scientifically. And really, my life doesn't have to please any one except myself.

No one can tell me when I am at peace with myself or when I am content with my conditions.

Believer likes this.
  13. Believer Bacteria

I think that each person has the right to make their own choices about what they will or won't eat, and how they live their life, as far as exercise, food, and lifestyle goes. Along with that right comes the responsibility of living with the consequences of our choices, good or bad.
    What seems to one person like becoming a health fanatic, might seem to another person like a perfectly logical way to live their life.
    As a senior citizen, I think that I am now a lot more aware of the necessity of caring for my health than I was when I was younger. I have a friend , just a little younger than myself, and she is perfectly content to eat junk food, sit and watch television all day, and not be concerned about her health.
    She takes medications that the doctors give her; but when I asked her, she said she doesn't even know what she takes, she just takes them.
    To me, this is an unacceptable non-involvement with one's life and health; but to her, this is a normal way to live, and what she has probably done all of her life.
    To me, being concerned with protecting my health as well as I can seems sensible; but there are other people who live lifestyles that I consider to be overboard healthwise, and would probably not do.
    I think that @jimbob has summed it up perfectly in his statement that our life does not have to please anyone except ourself.

Zyni and jimbob like this.
  14. Decentlady Bacteria

Having good health is the key to living happily. If you are down with fever or bedridden its no fun living, is it?

While some infections and diseases can not be avoided others can be.

We have only one body and we just can't predict which body is going to react in what way to a certain drug. Of course, you can try and see and when the damage gets done, blame your own self. However, what's the point of repenting when the damage is already done?

It is good to live the way you wish however, it is also good to do bad stuff in moderation. After all that's the difference between a man and an animal, the ability to think and make rational decisions. We should know and respect our bodies/organs.

I have never seen a lion eat grass not because it can't but it knows that his digestive system can't digest that! However, I see a man sympathesize with a family member with cancer and yet adopt the same risky lifestyle.

That's where mindful choices matter.

jimbob likes this.
  15. Zyni Bacteria

I try to avoid fanatics of any kind. They are of course, free to do as they choose, but when they start trying to force their ideals on me then I take issue. When they try to ban things they don't like in order to force their lifestyle on others, I take issue.

Living a healthy lifestyle is important, but that doesn't mean that the exact same guidelines will work the same for everyone. Do what you think is best for you, and I'll do what I think is best for me.

16. Alexandoy Bacteria

First question, do you mean by health fanatic as someone who avoids eating or does not eat delicious food and drinks like meat and soda? Second question, is there a health buff who lives or lived to be 100? I once read a quotation that says if we drink beer, we die but if we do not drink beer we also die. That’s the same statement I would like to apply here. If we become health conscious, we die just the same. So why waste the years on earth by shunning enjoyment of life like good food, nice drinks, wonderful activities and all those things being avoided by health conscious people.

I believe that we are born to enjoy this wonderful world including whatever there is. That includes everything, good or evil. I’m not saying let’s indulge in evil things, let’s kill our body by drinking alcohol or smoking. I also believe that anything done in moderation is just okay. And with the mention of cigarette, my great uncle is turning 104 on June 13, 2017. He is still fine, normal like a 70-year old who eats by himself, has the energy to walk long distances, sleeps normally and with faculties still intact. The catch? He is a chain-smoker until now. Here is the video of his 99th birthday celebration -

17. Selena Bacteria

This person sounds like a "simpleton". Maybe too much pot or other drugs are clouding this persons judgement.

If you were really her friend you'd look into it....sounds like someone I know that is the butt of a lot of jokes behind her back.

18. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Sometimes there isn't much you can do. I know a lot of people who'd I'd love to help but sometimes people just don't have the same priorities, which is the root of all our decisions in life.

Selena and jimbob like this.