Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Green Hosting Scam

Discussion in 'Other' started by Jason76, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Should people feel bad cause they're not using green hosting? Is it really making a difference?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1033462

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

First time I have heard of such goings on. Buyer Beware!

3. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

It's not such a small amount of energy. All the server farms in the US, Europe, and Asia consume a lot of energy to operate them and keep them cool.

According to the National Resources Defense Council, "In 2013, U.S. data centers consumed an estimated 91 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity. That’s the equivalent annual output of 34 large (500-megawatt) coal-fired power plants -- enough electricity to power all the households in New York City twice over for a year. By 2020 this is expected to rise to 140 billion kilowatt hours."

The really big server farms run by Amazon, Apple, Google, and Microsoft are very efficient -- but there are thousands of server operations that are not efficient at all. So sure, green is better. It basically means better utilization of the servers, better cooling system that capture the waste heat and use it productively, and the like.

An efficient server is being accessed almost continually; an inefficient server is sitting there just spinning it's drive, waiting for the next data request.

4. Jason76 Cat Moderator

The question arises, "Should someone feel guility for not buying green hosting?" According to QualityChecked there really is an environmental problem with web hosting.

5. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

Yes. People who deliberately avoid green hosting should be just sick with guilt.

6. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Well, if you have a limited budget and a non-green hosting service is cheaper, then you shouldn't feel bad about using it. It's not like you'll make a difference in the environment.

But yeah, green is definitely better. Use it if at all possible.

jimbob likes this.
  7. Jason76 Cat Moderator

It's true computers have saved a lot of paper because of email, but there is so much pollution due to hosting, so which is worse?

Well, paper is renewable, the energy sources wasted for hosting are not, unless it's green of course.

8. Vinaya Molecule

All time time human beings are creating waste, have you ever though how much carbon foot prints you are living by driving to office,using a lawn mower, throwing away plastic? So why should we worry about how much carbon foot prints does the host live by hosting our websites. I am paying $1 per month to host my website. If I ca get a green host for this amount or less than this amount than only I will consider green hosting.

Jason76 likes this.
  9. jimbob Cat Moderator

Fair considerations Vinaya.

I live a pretty green life. There are limits though.

10. Jason76 Cat Moderator

I'm willing to try green hosting. Nonetheless, I don't really like environmentalism. It's the worst type of PC overkill, and I think they exxagerate and twist things as to not give the real picture. Of course, the religious devotion is as idiotic as the legalism of the Pharisees in Jesus' day.

11. jimbob Cat Moderator

Well, when you tell me that you are going to vote for Jill Stein of the Green Party I will consider you green.

12. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Green hosting kills birds via windmills. However, they may have done things to reduce the problem.