Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

God's take on overpopulation

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Alexandoy, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Alexandoy Bacteria

I am torn between population control and overpopulation. With common sense, we have to curb the population growth otherwise the resources will be depleted and man will suffer. On the other hand, God may have plans for the crowded earth. That the growing population is a challenge to man or perhaps it is a test for man's survival.

What do you think?

2. Believer Bacteria

This is truly a serious issue, and one which has no easy answer. On one hand, we have many parts of the world where very few people live, and there is room for more people; but other places are so overpopulated that everyone is starving.
    One of the issues that complicates this problem is about subsidizing these countries. As an example, suppose you have a country where there is overcrowding to the point that people do not have enough land for agriculture to grow sufficient food. People are starving, so other countries send them food, and they survive , and have more children.
    Now, they can't grow food for their country, and the population is even more crowded; so the next year, a larger amount of food has to be sent to this country to feed the growing population. Over time, this becomes an impossible situation, where other countries can keep subsidizing this country with more and more food supply, or we can stop subsidizing them, and now even more people will starve than would have in the first place.
    It has become a "catch-22" situation with no good answers. Moving these people to other countries is not necessarily a good answer either. They have lived lives of having their food needs supplied to them, and are not prepared to integrate into a country and work and earn their own way through life.
    Most of the other countries are not in a position to take these people in and support them; and even if they did this, the problem would just eventually happen again as the supporting country became overpopulated with the refugees.

3. jimbob Cat Moderator

I am in favor of population control. In my opinion there already are far too many people on the planet.

Education is the key. China's policy worked but it was very harsh.

ray likes this.
  4. Decentlady Bacteria

I think humans do onky What God desires. So when we think of population control, God has already planned it way before.

While we have our own methods of population control God controls the population through natural calamities like floods, drought, Famine etc

He does population control at a larger scale then we humans can ever. His methods are unpredictable and guaranteed.

So, I think He manages the planet's equilibrium just well.

5. jimbob Cat Moderator

Be careful with this. It could easily lead to the negation of free will and our ability to have choices. And then you would have to explain why God allows evil to exist.

6. Geeta Molecule

Increasing population is a serious problem of globe. God has his own was to control it. Increasing numbers of Earthquakes, Volcano, Floods and all other natural diasters are God's ways to control population. It is high time for human beings to think about it and adopt a universal solution for this.

7. ray Bacteria

I wish we knew the importance of population control ourselves and not let God come in this matter. I am from a country where one section of the population is growing too fast while the others are trying their best to keep it in check but it seems that the one with intention of over populating in order to seek the majority are winning the race. The worst part of the story is that political parties consider them their vote bank so doing nothing to stop them.

omnipresent and jimbob like this.
  8. jimbob Cat Moderator

Good comments Ray. Yes, there are a lot of societies that are trying to reduce their population growth. Then the government steps in and screws everything up.

9. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Actually, the Earth has a lot of places for humans to go, assuming you make heated areas in Siberia or underwater areas or islands. In addition, there is always Mars.

On another matter, a rapidly increasing population might be bad, but elites want to take matters into their own hands.

10. jimbob Cat Moderator

You can go to Mars, Jason. I'm staying here.

11. ray Bacteria

Maybe the way China controlled its population was a bit hard but now they have allowed one more child in addition to one-child policy. However, I believe that China had no option but to impose one-child formula otherwise the situation would have gone out of control. I wish our government had the courage and do something similar. I think a 2 children formula should bring our population problem back to track.

jimbob likes this.
  12. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yes, a 2 child policy would end population growth. But there are many cultures and religions around the world that would have a hard time dealing with that. An education program to teach the benefits of stabilizing the human population would take many years. But it could be done.

13. omnipresent Molecule

I totally agree with your points. Let's not bring God in this. He gave us brain to think and act upon issues. I personally believe God also wants us to think independently and do whatever is right.

In the present-day world you can find overpopulation as the root cause of all issues; be it terrorism, unemployment, natural calamities, pollution, shortage of water / food, depleting natural resources and whatever you can think of. It's high time that we should think and take it seriously than trying to put our responsibilities on God.

I also think recent abnormal rise in natural calamities is not being planned and executed by God. These are the after effects of our own karma. When we destroy our natural resources to meet the rising demands of growing population how can we dream of a better tomorrow! We should stop blaming God and start acting. So population control is a must if we want to save our planet and human race as a whole.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    jimbob likes this.