Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Feng Shui

Discussion in 'Other' started by Alexandoy, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Alexandoy Bacteria

From what I understand, Feng Shui is all about the proper positioning of objects that would greatly influence your fortune. My sister is a Feng Shui master and I have seen her do her work one time. She did a Feng Shui job in the house of my wife's sister. She used a compass to determine the directions particularly that of the North. She also measured the distances of objects. The work took more than 2 hours, I guess.

On the next day, my sister returned to the client with her evaluation and recommendations. What I remember are the front door not to be used because it is not in a good position, that it attracts negative vibes. The plant near the doorway should be removed. There was also the repositioning of the furniture and appliances, the changing of colors of the ceiling or the wall. She gave the client (my wife's sister) more than 5 pages of the evaluation and recommendation. When followed, good vibrations will have an influence and luck will come their way (the owner and her family).

Pardon me if you are a believer of Feng Shui. But isn't it silly to believe that the mere position of an object or a color can affect your fate? Is that the way God designed the universe?

Selena likes this.
  2. jimbob Cat Moderator

Hi Alesandoy,

I am a Taoist and I do not hold Feng Shui to have any value. It's an old carry-over from ancient Chinese animism. So many myths, not only in Chinese culture but in nearly all cultures that have no basis in fact or provability. But people keep believing with the hope that magic will happen.

Selena likes this.
  3. Geeta Molecule

Observations of Feng Shui come from a time when living and dying, health and sickness were one. Feng Shui simply provides a view of the world that encompasses both the known and the unknown and, as such cannot be validated by science.

Science offers us huge opportunities for creating awareness and understanding of the natural world, but the very narrow purview required to achieve excellence in a given field denies the possibility of the view of the nature of existence that Feng Shui offers. For such a view we must turn to the mythmakers and those who record them, such as Joseph Campbell.

4. jimbob Cat Moderator

I hear that often on the Taoist forum. We have many belief systems represented there and discussions become very interesting at times.

In Taoist philosophy, there is the Manifest (knowable) and the Mystery (unknowable). I am a Materialist. I have never claimed to know the unknowable. And I sometimes question those who say they understand it.

Edit to add: However, I do occasionally argue that even though the Mystery is unknowable it can be experienced.

5. Jasmin Cottontail Molecule

I don't believe in Feng Shui either, I believe it's just plain business. In our place, there are a lot of people selling lucky charms and lots of things for good luck which I don't think people should base their fate with such things. I wouldn't spend a dime in hiring someone just to tell me what are my lucky colors or what's the best design and arrangement of my house based on "Feng Shui". I'm just saying my opinion though. But I believe that Feng Shui is important for Chinese people.