Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Everything Causes Cancer

Discussion in 'Science' started by Jason76, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Jason76 Cat Moderator

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

That's an advertising ploy. There's likely not much truth to be found there.

Some people get it (cancer) and some people don't. The longer you live the better your chances are of getting it. Avoid cancer by killing yourself now. (I don't really recommend doing that though.)

Jason76 likes this.
  3. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Possibly a good idea is to drink a lot of vegetable juice or other anti-oxidant stuff, and try to avoid bad stuff as much as you can, though avoiding all is impossible.

4. jimbob Cat Moderator

That is a good generalized statement. Prevention is best.

5. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

Some foods appear to be cancer causing, when eaten frequently. meat cooked over flames where charring occurs; cultured/aged/preserved meat (ham, bacon, sausage...); sugar (a lot); fat (a lot). If you eat a lot of bbq-ed meat, bacon, ham, sausage, sweetened drinks, a lot of fat (vegetable or animal fat), you are at a higher risk of developing cancers of the digestive and reproductive tracts.

Occasional servings (say, 1 or 2 times a month, small servings -- not more) of preserved, smoked, bbq-ed, meat is probably tolerable. The risk here comes from polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons that are created when food is charred. the same chemicals occur in cigarette tar. The other chemical are nitrite preservatives, which when digested, become somewhat carcinogenic. Again, occasional servings -- like 12-24 per year, are probably not too problematic.

People who live in the "fried fish belt" (the SE US) tend to eat a lot of fat, sweetened drinks, and these more risk-prone (but delicious) foods. This area has high rates of digestive tract cancer, high blood pressure, prostate cancer, and heart disease, all of which are diet related.

Don't count on pomegranate juice saving your ass. Antioxidants are in fact good for you, they help prevent disease, but they aren't miracle foods.

Potato chips? Well, potato is a simple starch, and simple starches and sugar aggravate the likelihood of developing diabetes or making it worse. A lot of salt MAY aggravate high blood pressure (but this is somewhat open to question). There isn't all that much fat in a reasonable amount of potato chips. But... if you eat a big bag every day...

One of the reasons these risks exist is that we now live long enough to suffer the consequences of unhealthy foods. Not all that long ago most of us had one foot in the grave by the time we were 65, and wouldn't be around that much longer. Now, with people routinely living into their late 70s to 90s, there is plenty of time for these environmentally related diseases to develop.

200 years ago, people didn't live long enough to suffer from over-doses of bacon, ham, bbq-ed pork ribs, sausage, cream, butter, lard, fatty meat, sugar and white bread. They died of infection before cancer had a chance.

6. jimbob Cat Moderator

So, in conclusion, die young so you don't get cancer.

Bottom line, life is the cause of death. No life? No death.

7. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

Good joke.

If we didn't know anything about cancer, that might be good advice. But... we DO know quite a bit about the causes of many cancers. I went over some of them above. Others...

Significant radiation exposure
    Early exposure to excessive sun, and burning with blistering
    Tobacco use
    Exposure to HPV virus (cervical, throat, and penile cancer) - particularly types 16 and 18 - without anti-HPV vaccination
    Exposure to Hepatitis C virus (and chronic B virus)
    Obesity
    Heavy alcohol consumption
    Exposure to excessive amounts of industrial chemicals -- this usually occurs at the factory level, not the consumer level. People who manufacture Teflon-coated produced are at risk, not the users of Teflon.

So ALL of these causes of cancer (as well as the ones discussed in earlier posts) are avoidable. True: some cancers appear to have no particular causation other than the fact that errors in DNA copying can result in uncontrolled cellular growth, which is what cancer is. Brain tumors definitely fit into this category. So do a number of other kinds of cancer -- they occur with a predictable frequency, but there is no way to predict who will be afflicted.

Jason76 likes this.
  8. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yes, that's the sad thing about cancer and many other diseases as well, it's almost impossible to say who is susceptible to the diseases so they have no knowledge what they can do to prevent the diseases.

But yes, there is general information available so that a person can make choices of what to avoid if the desire to do so is within.

Except for my smoking I think I'm doing pretty good.

9. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Nice to see QC back, but he has got to respond to the election posts. :)

Alcohol also causes cancer and urban areas consume a lot of it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  10. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Not to my knowledge.

I've had bad sunburns but not to the point of blistering.

Negative.

Negative.

Negative.

Definitely a negative.

Negative.

Negative.

Seems like I'm doing pretty good. Hopefully, that means that cancer will leave Ken alone. :)

Believer and Jason76 like this.
  11. Jason76 Cat Moderator

It's interesting to note as I did before that Yankee urban areas are full of cancer causing drinking, yet they criticize the southern diet. ;)

12. jimbob Cat Moderator

Everyone will die from something. Just think of all the health nuts, all tubed up, laying in a hospital bed, dying from nothing.

13. Believer Bacteria

While it is true that we will all die of something, either sooner or later; I believe that protecting our health the best we are able to do so is one of the most important things that we can do.
    When we are kids, we are given food as a treat for good behaviour, or to comfort us when we cry, and this helps to teach children that food is something to be eaten for enjoyment. Even though we tell our children that it is important for them to "eat their vegetables" and grow up healthy, many people still look at food as enjoyment and not as something to take care of our health, even as adults.
    As far as avoiding cancer, I think that it does help to try and eat foods that are known to be anti-cancer, and avoid those that are carcinogenic.
    Eating food for the purpose of keeping us healthy might eliminate some of the comfort foods that we enjoy, it is true; but growing old without our health is even a worse fate, and one to be avoided as much as possible.
    My goal in life is to keep my body as healthy as I can for as long as I can, and to enjoy every minute of life that I can possibly enjoy along the way.

KenBrace and jimbob like this.
  14. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Well, we're all going to die at some point but better later than sooner.

Plus, not only does a healthy lifestyle increase your life span but it also improves the quality of life.

15. jimbob Cat Moderator

You don't expect me to disagree with you here, do you?

16. Jason76 Cat Moderator

All of this fear of health problems reminds me of the Beevis and Butthead episode where Butthead calls a "help if injured hotline". He says "Iv'e been injured. I have a crack in my butt. :D"

KenBrace likes this.
  17. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

It is true that nobody gets out of here alive, but I am reluctant to agree that any particular lifestyle will deliver an easy death.

There are just too many variables. Some cancers have environmental causes, but some don't. They occur, and the consequences can be devastating. Dementia (of various kinds, but all leading to the same result) don't appear to be strongly affected by environmental factors. Infections are evolving, and if a multi-drug resistant strain attacks your body, yours could be a difficult death. Accidents are lurking around every corner; accidents break bones, cause skull fractures and concussions, are very painful, and may be seriously debilitating. Arteries in your brain and heart my rip open, bringing about all sorts of unhappy consequences.

Even though I am quite health conscious and engage in health promoting activities, I sometimes think that now that I am past 70, maybe I shouldn't work too hard to stay alive. Maybe I should start smoking cigarettes, drinking more, finally try some of these recreational drugs I have been hearing about for decades, and doing some hang-gliding, or some other dangerous amusement. Surely one of these activities will bring the curtain down!

18. Jason76 Cat Moderator

So did the Romans with the Gladiator Games have it wrong? Maybe, as QC suggested, we should go out with a bang. :eek:

19. jimbob Cat Moderator

I'm an old soldier. Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.

Jason76 likes this.
  20. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Did Jim Morrison try to get out of the Vietnam War? He seems like type who could care less if he lived or died or how he died or what he was fighting for. Note, he used your phrase in one of his songs.

BTW, his dad was a Navy admiral who was actually at the Gulf of Tonkin, the action starting the Vietnam War.