Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Donald Trump scrapping H1-B Visa

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Geeta, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Geeta Molecule

Donald Trump's hatred towards the H1-B visa is in limelight. Many countries are speaking against it. H1-B are temporary visas for skilled ones. A person must be a graduate to apply for this visa. So scrapping this will affect world at a large scale. What is your take on it.

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

Well, if the educated stayed home in their own country they could make their country great again.

We Americans have always managed.

Corporate America likes having the educated of other countries come to America because they can pay a lesser wage/salary to immigrants than they would have to pay for home grown educated people.

Selena, Rosyrain and WhyWeaver like this.
  3. Psi Atom

I doubt he will scrap it although there will probably be more limitation.

I came to the US on an H1B. My home country is great, America is also great. I have lived here 20 years now and am on a track to citizenship.

I think truly great countries don't suffer from crippling insecurity and isolationism. Their people travel, people travel to them. They are secure in the knowledge that they gain more than they lose by being a part of the international community and not a paranoid riddle inward looking fortress, afraid their people will never get work if immigrants are allowed in.

4. ray Bacteria

I don't think Trump administration is scrapping the H1 B altogether but they have plans to reduce the number in order to force foreign companies prefer locals for the jobs even if they have to pay a higher salary. I am sure America will suffer as foreign based companies will reduce business in case they find going tough. Of course, some of the professionals will either go back to and resume their job in their own home countries. The situation is not yet clear so let's wait and watch since the matter is not as easy as it looks at face value.

5. Decentlady Bacteria

The talk has been news but it us yet to be implicated. We are talking about a large elite group that has been generating a large revenue for America.

There might be some changes that may be lead to a lot of professionals from returning to their home countries. The impact of which will only be understood later in time.

6. WhyWeaver Bacteria

Do you make an effort to listen and hear (understand, internalize and act is to hear) any of his best speeches? The latest, in the Congress? What about his WH weekly address. No, he's not
    'scrapping immigration Visas'. He's extremely vetting visa applicants that are wanting to emmigtate to USA.

Believer likes this.
  7. Believer Bacteria

From what I have been reading about the H1-B visa situation, the plan that President Trump is suggesting makes a lot of sense for everyone concerned.
    It is the expedited visas that are causing the main problem, and these are what he is suspending, and this is only a temporary suspension. Due to all of the expedited visa applications being processed, the regular H1-B visa processing has gotten way behind, and people that should have been processed months and months earlier are still not being processed.
    By suspending the expedited visas, then the overload of older visas can be properly processed and people who have been waiting for their visa to be processed will finally be able to come and work.
    The expedited process will still be used, but only selectively, when it is considered a critical situation, until the backload of visas have been processed.
    Once that is finished, there is a good chance that there will be more regulation of who can apply for an expedited H1-B visa, and this will prevent the overloaded system from happening again.

It is also important for America, as a nation, to protect the rights of our workers who are already citizens here; so if we allow people from other countries to come in to the United States, live and work here, to the detriment of our own people having these jobs, this will hurt our whole country.
    Other countries should have no expectations of coming to America and taking jobs away from American citizens, nor do they have any right to object when we are protecting the rights of our own people by limiting work visas.
    I am extremely proud of our president for the stand that he is taking on this issue.

8. Rosyrain Atom

I do not necessarily think it should be scrapped all together, but not everyone should just assume that they can get a free pass to enter into the United States. If they are coming here to get educated so that they can take skills to their home country to do good for their country, I am good with that.