Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Does God protect anyone?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Jason76, Sep 2, 2016.

1. omnipresent Molecule

I don't believe God will ever protect or punish anybody. It all happens by law of nature. If you do a wrong thing chances are that you get caught and punished by our own systems in place. I wonder how many people would be there leading peaceful life after doing horrible crimes. We will never come to know of them. We only know what we are given to know.

If God was there protecting us what happened in Pakistan when a group of bloody terrorists massacred 131 school children in the most heinous way. The whole world was stunned by this news. It is said that kids are true representations of God. If God was present there (God is believed to be omnipresent) will he ever let this happen?

jimbob likes this.
  2. jimbob Cat Moderator

That defines our position in this discussion. I am an Atheist. My understandings are science based. The Earth is Approximately 4.5 billion years old and the Universe is approximately 14.6 billion years old.

If you hold what is in the Bible literally then we will never be in agreement. However, if you understand that much of what is in the Bible should be understood figuratively then we will have many agreements.

3. Jason76 Cat Moderator

The idea of cursing and blessing in the Bible seems to be the work of people, not God - unless one thinks the prayer helps them make the right choices.

4. jimbob Cat Moderator

Now you are beginning to understand.

5. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Yeah, but people choose whether or not to pray. This is sort of like this free-will vs predestination argument I had with a friend over many years.

jimbob likes this.
  6. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yes, we each make our individual choices, don't we? Even those who have been brain-washed with religion.

I am a free will guy. Always have been, I guess. But this has been supported and built upon over the years while establishing my own personal philosophy of life.

I do not accept the concepts of destiny or karma. How could a godless person believe in such things?