Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Does God protect anyone?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Jason76, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Mile High likes this.
  2. KenBrace Bird Administrator

I think the most logical conclusion is that he does not exist at all. Or at least, he does not exist as a human-like character who is interested in our personal lives.

I do think it is possible that we are god. In the same way that your cells are individuals who work together to create you, I believe we also work together to create consciousness. However, this being would be as interested in your personal life as you are interested in the personal lives of your cells.

Mile High likes this.
  3. Jason76 Cat Moderator

The Bible shows a God who cares about mankind, but seems to protect believers who are in his club. However, sometimes good people die, as I'm sure Christians died in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. In fact, Nagasaki was the center of the Christian community in Japan. :-?

4. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Doesn't it seem much more logical to conclude that no one was watching over that event with puppet strings?

If there were no personal god then things like this are exactly what we would expect to happen.

5. jimbob Cat Moderator

You are assuming there is a God. I don't make that assumption. I don't need to explain its faults.

6. DEUK Atom

I see only one logical viewpoint on God; that is, there isn't one.
    If there is a God, a grand architect, then they have done a terrible job. There is far too much negative energy in the world for a God to be obeyed and worshipped; in my opinion, people are leading their lives in hope that a God will help them - in reality these followers are chasing a non-existent mythical being.

KenBrace and jimbob like this.
  7. jimbob Cat Moderator

Hi DEUK.

Welcome! May you enjoy your time here.

Your words above are consistent with my thoughts but I would have welcomed you here even if they weren't.

I have proclaimed myself to be an Atheist, which I am, but I understand that many here are believers so being an Anarchist I must respect their choices as long as they do not attempt forcing their beliefs on others.

And you are right, there is far too much hatred and violence for there to be a Grand Creator. (Unless that Creator is itself evil.)

DEUK likes this.
  8. DEUK Atom

Yes, your last statement is correct; it may be that this creator is of an evil disposition.
    I also identify as an Atheist, I am afraid I stand on a logical platform; the chances of me accepting a God is highly unlikely.

jimbob likes this.
  9. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

J. B. Phillips wrote YOUR GOD IS TOO SMALL back in 1952. It is relevant to both believers and flat out atheists.

It's been a long time since I last read it, but the gist of it is this: The god we inherited fit the world of the past -- a small world without the challenges of the Renaissance, the Enlightenment, science, modern arts, social science. We inherited a god who presided over a world of hundreds of millions of souls; now there are 7 billion. Where once we thought the earth was the center of the universe, we have sent a ship beyond the solar system. The atom was split. Plagues, wars, famine, etc. have come and gone. We fly all over the world, but we make god ride a donkey.

The modern world hasn't proved that God doesn't exist, but it has revealed the our old fashioned view of god is out of date. God belongs to the cosmos. God transcends the 13.5 billion light year universe. God isn't a personal servant, a personal police force, a personal fixit service, etc., showing up to clean up our problems, ward off thugs, make sure the plane doesn't fall out of the sky, provide you with three square meals a day, and so on. God isn't going to prevent war, famine, disease, or death. The first three, at least, are our problem. God expects more from modern man than he expected from the rutabaga eating peasants of the middle ages. God knows we have become technically proficient, so, he says, do something about your problems and stop waiting for me to take care of everything. I never was in that business, and I'm even more not in that business now. Grow up!

God, we may believe, does care about us, does love us. But God also transcends our reality. He isn't an "earth god" or a "sky god". He doesn't live in a triple decker universe: heaven up there, hell down below, and us in the middle. That's the old small god of the medieval era - through - the 19th century.

So for believers, get a bigger god. Revise your understanding, update your prayers.

For atheists, at least attack a current god that is worth your trouble. It's easy to attack the simple god of the past. It's easy to attack the god of superstitious peasants. It's easy to attack the god of biblical literalism (something in which hostile atheists love to participate).

Everybody grow up. That's the message.

10. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Welcome to the forum @DEUK. :)

I agree with your post. Faith in God works until it doesn't. I had a friend who died a couple of years ago. His parents were deeply religious. After he died they comforted themselves by believing that he is "in a better place", that God always works for good even if we can't see it, etc. If they were to look at the situation honestly then they could see that there is no reason their son had to die of cancer. He was just unlucky, got sick, and died. Not only did he lose his life but his family also had to go through a really hard time during his battle and after his death. No good came from it. Bad things just happen.

Things like that are exactly what we would expect were there no god.

jimbob likes this.
  11. jimbob Cat Moderator

Valid thoughts concerning what I have not quoted from you post. The entire universe is dynamic. A believer's concept of gods must also change. No change equals death.

12. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

Jimbob said: Grow up into what?

Sensible adults who take responsibility for the world they live in and that their successors will inherit.

13. jimbob Cat Moderator

I already do that without the help of any supernatural assistance.

14. Geeta Molecule

Before Writing about this answer I want to say sorry in advance. I belongs to Hindu religion. We taught from our childhood that we all have to pay for our doings whether good or bad. When I ask any priest about the reason of any mishappening, they always told me it is all due to my previous birth's doings. Sorry basicaly it is a cycle, like if I do something today, I will get that return in some other form. So where is the role of God??

jimbob likes this.
  15. tonyb Bacteria

Let's take it from this view point, everything around us that didn't come by nature has a maker and that maker is man. For example, a house has a builder, the airplane was made by the engineers. If we can believe that these things have a maker, it's logical to reason that the universe will sure have a maker too. The designer and maker of the universe is God.

16. Shine_Spirit Bacteria

I faithfully believe that God protects all (including those who deny Him).

Particularly, I can't believe there are people who may not believe in the existence of God. However, I respect everyone as well as their respective opinions (after all, everyone has the right to think and believe in whatever they want).

Perhaps God doesn't attend to everyone in the hours they call, or maybe God doesn't fulfill all the wishes... But only God knows what is good for us, and He always knows the right moment to act in our lives.

God bless you all, folks.

17. jimbob Cat Moderator

You failed to consider the hundreds of millions of years life existed on the planet without man and without anyone or anything making anything.

Life is a process, not a creation or something manufactured.

18. jimbob Cat Moderator

You go ahead and keep the faith. But don't be putting yourself in a compromising situation. Man will kill you if he has a reason.

19. Mile High Atom

That is right in line with what I believe. I also believe that people need to start using updated wording when talking about this subject. For instance, if you want to believe what the Bible says word for word, that's fine. But according to the authors of that book, God, by definition, is an extraterrestrial. He is not of THIS world, therefor, he is not terrestrial.

Basically, if you want to get to the bottom of the debate of whether God/A Grand Designer exists, you have to marry the science of extraterrestrial study with religion. We have to "up the game" so to speak. We have to take it to a higher level than previously explored.

20. tonyb Bacteria

If you are a religious person you will know according to the account in the Bible, God created the world and every living creatures. It is estimated that the earth is some thousands of years from the account of creation.