Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

DO YOU WELCOME CRITICISM

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by DR KOKIL AGARWAL, Mar 8, 2017.

1. DR KOKIL AGARWAL Molecule

Criticism is a part of every society. So how do you cope up with it? Do you accept it in a positive manner and make it a stimulating factor to move further?

There are many who cannot accept even a small piece of advice or suggestion from others. They come up with millions of excuses but will not accept that they are wrong. What do you think about such people?

2. Decentlady Bacteria

You will find these kind of people who can't accept critism plenty everywhere. We all have egos just that some people display it more than others.

Its hard for some people to see their mistakes and such people in my opinion should be told once and then left alone.

3. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yeah, I have a very healthy ego. But I do try to remain open-minded. But not so open-minded that my brains fall out.

Present to me a more logical alternative and I will likely listen and may ever alter my perspective. But don't try using magic on me; I'm immune.

4. kaka135 Atom

I think I am quite open-minded and can accept different opinions or suggestions from others, but I do prefer I am told nicely. Of course, I guess we can't avoid criticism totally especially when we are not following the trend or where the majority is going.

Nowadays, I usually just smile and let go, as long as I know what I am doing and there's the way I want to go. I do check with my husband most of the time, so that I know I am on the right track, but I don't really mind others' criticism so much now, as I understand everyone is walking his own path.

Yes, I do have friends that cannot accept different opinions at all, even though I am sure theirs are wrong. I learned not to argue with them, as it's their own choice to only believe in themselves, but not others. Moreover, I think some people might not admit when they are wrong, and still want to argue with others, but deep inside, they know about it.

ray likes this.
  5. Alexandoy Bacteria

It depends on the kind and manner of criticism for me to react favorably or not. There are criticisms that are really offending especially when coming from detractors. I usually ignore those remarks particularly so when I feel that it is wanting in my response such as they were baiting me to make a violent reaction. But for constructive criticism such as my bad haircut or out-of-fashion clothes, it is all right as long as I feel that the remark was said to improve me and not to shame me.

To be honest, I am not really a social person and I don’t feel comfortable when I am around people not close to me. So when I hear something slur from those people, I just leave the place and forget all about what they said. At least I have avoided any argument or confrontation.

ray likes this.
  6. ray Bacteria

I always thought that critics were my best friends because without them I wouldn't have learned some of the things that I know today. They told me about some of the wrongs I was involved with and I was clever enough to select which was good for me and which wasn't. Listening to my critics worked well for me in the end.

7. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yeah, there is such a thing as constructive criticism.

But then there is also destructive criticism.

Selena and ray like this.
  8. ray Bacteria

I agree, but then I know the difference and intention of my critic. I keep the good ones and reject the one which I feel will do me no good.

jimbob likes this.
  9. jimbob Cat Moderator

Agree. But it takes most people far too long to learn the difference and even longer to learn how to deal with it.

ray likes this.
  10. Jasmin Cottontail Molecule

It's normal for people to criticize and see others fault easily, and I have to admit that I don't like being criticize if it's being delivered in a sarcastic way. Well I accept other people's opinions and ideas, same with criticism as I am far from being perfect. However, there are instances when a person judge or criticize you in the most harsh way and can't even see their own imperfect selves. That's what I don't like.

Sweed2 and jimbob like this.
  11. tonyb Bacteria

By all measures or standards I do not like criticisms it's a thing that gets me off balance and hate every good work or plan I had or done. That said if I am being criticized constructively with cogent points. This way I can learn from my mistakes or wrong and work to avoid them next opportunity to serve.

jimbob likes this.
  12. Sweed2 Molecule

Criticism is hard to take if the person delivering it is saying it in harsh tones or yelling, or in a bullying way that is meant only to shame or make the other person feel belittled. But good honest criticism that is said in a positive manner can be accepted as a way to improve ones work or outlook on life. This I prefer and can deal with emotionally without getting my dander up or having hurt feelings. If I receive hard loud criticism I tend to back away and leave, returning only if necessary to speak with that person when they are calmed down or when I am prepared to stand up for my self in a calm strong manner.

13. Selena Bacteria

Well said and I agree.