Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Do you think science and religion can co exist?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Vinaya, Jul 17, 2016.

1. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Well, the term/movement "Creationism" is relatively new, but the ideas are most definitely NOT.

People have been believing that Yahweh created the world in six days since ancient Israel. Creationism predates Christianity itself. It's just that there was no need to label it as such since there was no science to oppose it.

It seems to be split about half way. ~80% of Americans identify as Christian. ~40% of Americans are creationists.

I think the more serious a Christian is about his or her faith, the more likely they are to be a creationist and there is a reason for this.

The fall of man is foundational to Christian doctrine. If man is simply another animal that evolved from a single celled organism over billions of years, then the whole worldview painted by the Bible falls apart. Christians who accept Evolution just aren't very serious and aren't thinking it through (well the creationists aren't thinking it through either but in a different way).

Lots of Christians believe in Evolution but that doesn't legitimize the position.

2. Jason76 Cat Moderator

The Bible can also be interpreted metaphorically. Six days doesn't mean six actual days. In fact, the Catholics see it this way.

3. Shine_Spirit Bacteria

"Science" and "Religion" are definitely two completely different fields (like water and oil). As much as I expect these fields to coexist, I unfortunately don't believe it will ever happen someday (or if it happens, I won't be alive to witness this "miracle").

For personal reasons (who helped me clarify many doubts that I had regarding both fields), I have sufficient reasons to support these two camps and to see them in harmony. But I still see it all as something very utopian, as if it weren't something done for our society (which unfortunately still needs to evolve in many ways).

I hope to be wrong, and still be able to be alive to witness this union.

4. jimbob Cat Moderator

It's not an impossibility. Consider that it was a Catholic Cleric who verified Einstein's computations which indicated a Big Bang and therefore support for the theory of evolution. Einstein actually trashed his work because he was too stuck in religious dogma (he needed a static universe).

Dogma causes us to close our mind and prevents us from considering alternative understandings. Science gets stuck in this problem as well.

5. Believer Bacteria

There is actually some interesting theories about the dinosaurs not actually being alive millions of years ago, and that they still lived on the earth after men were here. Old relics and cave drawings have pictures of creatures that look like what we call a dinosaur, and these drawings were made hundreds of years ago, way before anyone ever speculated that there were dinosaurs at one time.
    Some of the pottery that was decorated with ictures of dinosaurs also shows people killing the dinosaur; and there is no way that they could have imagined something that looked exactly like we think dinosaurs looked, unless they had seen this kind of a creature.
    The other pictures were all about things that they knew existed, so why not the dinosaur ones, too?
    There is a lot of this world where no human has ever set foot, and it would be easy for a creature like this to exist in some dark jungles, and no one but some local natives might have ever seen them living there. It is not impossible that some of these creatures are still alive on the earth today.
    We have certainly found creatures and fish in the oceans that were thought to have long since gone extinct.

IMG_1973.JPG IMG_1974.JPG

6. jimbob Cat Moderator

Every attempt to show that dinosaurs and man existed on the planet at the same time has been proven false over and over again.

Nothing but lies false data, and scams. It is almost always started by Christian fundamentalists who want the planet to be only 4500 years old. They need to get their head out of that dark place.

But I will agree, a few small dinosaur species evolved into birds. Genetic scientists have altered the DNA of chickens and created chickens with teeth and a tail. Reverse evolution back to the dinosaur.

And I will agree that we know more about the moon than we know about the deep oceans.

Religious myths mean nothing to me. However, the moral teachings of religions always get my attention and valuing.

Selena likes this.
  7. Believer Bacteria

That is exactly the kind of reply that I would have expected ; but I am still disappointed that you won't at least discuss the evidence and not just ridicule the whole idea, @jimbob .
    I am a young earth creationist; but this is not because I am a Christian. Even if I didn't believe in God at all, I would be examining this possibility to see if I can find the real truth.
    I have been a Christian all my life, and also believed in evolution simply because that is what we were taught in schools. I tried to make it fit in with the Bible story of creation (as have many others), and the most popular assumption seems to be the "gap" theory, which I looked at and had to agree that it might be the answer.
    It was a possible explanation, but there were many puzzle pieces that simply won't fit in that scenario.
    Once I actually started looking at some of the evidence (and there is a LOT of it); I started wondering if maybe the world wasn't actually billions of years old, and I also looked at the evidence that ancient man was familiar with what we call dinosaurs and they called "dragons".
    At the very least, it is interesting to read about, and one should never close their mind off to a possibility until they have examined closely all of the evidence, and not just follow blindly down the path we are being led.

8. jimbob Cat Moderator

But Believer, I have looked at the "evidence" many times. It all turns out to be fake. What am I supposed to do? Keep looking, hoping that one day one piece of "evidence" can't be proven to be fake?

I have a rather open mind. I even used to believe in the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. But then I found out that they were lies.

There is no evidence that there were any larger dinosaurs living after 65 million years ago. There is no evidence that upright walking apes existed prior to approximately 4 million years ago. That is a separation of 61 million years.!

Yes, many cultures have myths about dragons. I've not done the research on that. The thought that there might be a link between them and dinosaurs once entertained my mind but even this would have the dinosaurs flying and we know those as birds.

Selena likes this.
  9. Geeta Molecule

Sure you just need a broad mind. Religion also has need/respect/movement toward foundations. It's a mistake of scientism to believe that religion just provides answers. It doesn't. Believing that the world is the way it is because god made it this way doesn't cut off inquiry - at least in the Judeo-Christian tradition (don't know much about Eastern religions.) God's thoughts are inaccessible - at best, available through parables and precepts from the Bible and Koran, many of which are ambiguous or inapplicable to the current world. We live in a world where the good suffer and the wicked prosper. We live in a world of "step-motherly nature" - where nature nourishes us and doesn't; warms us and doesn't. Religions are a framework or scaffold for seeking truth and a good life; they're not the answer. Just like science is a framework or scaffold for seeking the how of things, with the ultimate end of improving our lives.

10. lazar Molecule

I think there is no need for a religion. It's the biggest evil human ever invented.

11. jimbob Cat Moderator

You said that more strongly than I would have but the bottom line would have been the same.

(But we must keep in mind that there are many people who need religion and government for various reasons.)

12. moondebi Molecule

Science is based on facts while religion on perception.
    And, religion also is someone's way of defining the unknowns which has been followed by many. Thus, in a liberal mind there'll be several conflicts and confusions on the subject of religion and science. They could hardly dwell together.
    However, science and spirituality can co-exist.

13. jimbob Cat Moderator

A point I have argued numerous times.

14. lazar Molecule

True, but the only reason they need it (I'm talking about ordinary people) is because they think they can't live without religion. But, they can, they should.

15. jimbob Cat Moderator

No argument there. But there are many who can't face the harshness of reality and they would be lost without their hope for something better.

16. ray Bacteria

I don't see any problem in all these going together. After all the wold did not come in existence yesterday but it's been going on for a long time with everything running side by side despite having different opinions. It's up to you how you see at things because as the the saying goes, "Things look exactly as you look at them". If you feel that scientists don't believe in God, that's not true or if you feel that religious people do not believe in science that too is not correct. So it's entirely your personal choice... Cheers!

jimbob likes this.
  17. tonyb Bacteria

To some degrees I do think Science and Religion do agree. For example Science did say the Earth is suspended in space by no known means a point I understood had a religious backing and also science did say the earth is spherical and I think this have a religious backing too.

18. Selena Bacteria

I find that people who believe in the Bible are ones that come up,with all these crazy theories like a young earth, etc.

They find something on YouTube made by some yahoo and run with it. It's like they never went to school. :(