Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Do you play chess?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KenBrace, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Vinaya Molecule

I learned how to play chess at the age of 13. When I was new to chess I invited everyone to play with me. My seniors were not interested to play with me because they could easily win me. Later I taught my 8 years old brother how to play chess. A year later, I could not win my br0ther again. These days I play chess once in a while with the computer.

2. Shanlung Plant

3. Shanlung Plant

4. KenBrace Bird Administrator

It's mind blowing how fast AI is growing.

It's taking over jobs all over the place as well. People see this as a bad thing since there are less jobs in the market but ultimately it's a good thing if politics can keep up. If robots are doing all the boring work for us then it means we get free money and time for more useful pursuits than flipping burgers.

5. Shanlung Plant

I rather close my eyes and fit my blinkers on tightly and wear a heavily rose tinted glasses.
    I rather just drink when thirsty, eat when hungry and fornicate when horny.

Everything else distant secondary to those 3 important things to decide on.

Otherwise it become too frightening for me to contemplate.

Retirement meant retirement from Go. As it then, and others of its kind, will go into what we humans do, and beat us all in them until we all be redundant and shafted onto the sideline to munch chips and dips and popcorns and drink beer while watching those AIs do more... and more... and more...

6. Shanlung Plant

7. jimbob Cat Moderator

Don't expect me to be embracing a computer any time soon.

8. Shanlung Plant

Who says the Ai be in a computer? the AI will likely be in [​IMG]

And if she says softly to you "Hold me", you walk away?

Do you know what the future will be that you so sure ?

9. jimbob Cat Moderator

I'm too old for that stuff. I rarely even hug myself any more.

But yeah, if I were 50 years younger I would find it impossible to not give that sweet thing a hug and anything else she would accept.

KenBrace likes this.
  10. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Regarding Shanlungs comment above Jimbob's:

Oh, yeah, those dolls are getting practically lifelike - and affordable. But they can't talk or make facial expressions. I guess that will be the next step - but those won't be affordable.

11. jimbob Cat Moderator

Well, I hope they don't give them the ability to talk. That would ruin everything.

12. Shanlung Plant

[​IMG]

Remember AlphaGo? You know, the artificial intelligence that in 2016 soundly defeated the finest players humanity could muster in the ancient Chinese strategy game of Go; thus forcing us to relinquish the last vestige of board game superiority flesh-and-blood held over machines?

Remember that?

Well, here’s something to chew on: Google’s AI research arm DeepMind, the same benevolent creator that spawned AlphaGo, has already rendered that gluteus maximus-spanking version obsolete. In a study published Wednesday in the journal Nature, researchers describe a swifter, leaner, autodidact AI that defeated AlphaGo 100 games to zero. Zilch. Nada. Nothing.

Appropriately, this new AI prodigy is named AlphaGo Zero, and its secret to superiority is truly fascinating.

With this, it marks the first real step into true AI.

13. Shanlung Plant

What is Go ?

The game of Go originated in China 3,000 years ago. The rules of the game are simple: players take turns to place black or white stones on a board, trying to capture the opponent's stones or surround empty space to make points of territory. As simple as the rules are, Go is a game of profound complexity. There are an astonishing 10 to the power of 170 possible board configurations - more than the number of atoms in the known universe - making Go a googol times more complex than Chess.

Go is played primarily through intuition and feel, and because of its beauty, subtlety and intellectual depth it has captured the human imagination for centuries.

14. jimbob Cat Moderator

I never tried playing Go.

And I'm pretty sure I will be dead before AI reaches into the general population. No way in hell would I want to be controlled by a computer. Not even that pretty one above.

15. Shanlung Plant

What you hope is not necessarily what you get.
    Do not elevate yourself to the point the AI control you directly.

That AI might well control the market, which then control your company bottom line, which then your CEO want to deliver, under him will be his department heads and managers, who might be the one controlling you.

I just want to drink when thirsty , eat when hungry, and fornicate when horny
    taking a bit of time out to play my chess and to mossy around here.

But if you ask me, I rather a real AI controlling us all then a Dotard Trump and Fatty Kim and those mad suicidal buffoons in Germany and France letting in all those allahuakkbars trying to run the world.

jimbob likes this.
  16. jimbob Cat Moderator

Nice rant.

I am totally retired and have become really proficient at avoid people in general and governments as much as realistically possible.

Too old to fornicate so that not a problem.

Still do all my yard and house work myself but it takes me a lot more time to get things done because break times keep getting longer and longer.

Austria just elected a new leader who is very much against the previous immigration policies. I think Europe is starting to wake up to their errors.

Not much left for me to do but chop wood and carry water.

17. Shanlung Plant

Yes!

Hewer of wood and drawer of water.
    You girded your loins when you doing that?

Just my idle and puerile curiosity bubbling up and driving my enquiring mind to ask!

jimbob likes this.
  18. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yeah, I do sometimes over-extend myself but the psychology behind that is to keep myself from getting too lazy.

There is more work for me to do around here than I will ever be able to accomplish. But the "work needing to be done" keeps me going with something to do tomorrow.

Same with my internet activity. I want to keep my brain active. If something I say helps someone then that is an added feather in my hat.

No way I am going to turn into a zombie.

19. Shanlung Plant

Shit!

No feathers can be seen in my hat no matter how carefully I checked myself in the mirror.

But then I do not wear hat.

And I know for sure nothing I say here or anywhere will help or likely to help them.

So I got what I deserved to get.
    No more
    No less.

20. jimbob Cat Moderator

I think you are selling yourself short. But that's just my opinion.

Thing is, things we say can inspire another to have a totally unassociated thought that might lead them to new thinking.

Words exchanged between people are very strong motivators.