Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Do you play chess?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KenBrace, Jul 29, 2015.

1. KenBrace Bird Administrator

I'd like to visit Fischer's grave someday. As a deeply interested chess player I wouldn't feel complete without having done so.

Very interesting post. I enjoyed the read. I should visit your blog more often.

2. Shanlung Plant

Kind of vaguely connected with chess.
    So perhaps might deserve a place in this thread

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Cross posting from

http://thedaobums.com/topic/24575-taijiquan-styles/page-8

Posted 02 January 2016 - 05:05 PM

I have written about how I was thrown about and learned humility in meeting the ground from different angles from two of my Masters who were almost skin and bones and appeared hardly able to walk about.

In 1990s, hardly any videos other than heavy weight video cameras were around. And even if I had, would hardly had taken videos of what I thought were normal occurrences , at least to me , after the initial phase of dis beliefs. After all, I met my Masters on almost every mornings and 2 sundays on of the month (other sundays were devoted to mountain climbings)

All the stuff on weight transfer and muscle forces , waist power etc etc were driven out of me. Not that that will ever stop folks whose fixations will be that everything and all can and must be explained from the angle of Western sciences or even pseudo western sciences.

I have seen a couple of videos where such tossing about reminded me of my times with those Masters.

Let us bear in mind that while many stuff seen can be duplicated via cheating and playactings, and one can easily pooh poohed what is video tape as hogwash and fakes, true events occured.

Such as talks of John Chang having some electric shock machine hidden on his body to give electric shocks. There was yet another Master at the Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall training at the South Entrance that I had the chance of hands on even if I did not continued on with him. He was a big fat bloated Chinese man. His students who touched him were repelled away and I was in disbelief. He was nice enough to hand on with me and in the next moment, I felt a shock running through my body with me bouncing away. To be told by full time dedicated debunkers who know not where their mouth end and arsehole start that those events were done by hoax can be hilarious. They can believe in whatever that they want to believe in.

The first video is of Lee Chu Gong of ChengJia taijichuan. His lineage is from Chen Fah Ker. Through Hong Jung Seng, CFK student.

Do try to convince yourself that his fajing was nothing but sinking of body weight. Failing that, what you have seen must be a huge attempt to hoax gullible westerners of mysterious powers. I was thrown away by my Masters more dramatically than that in video as they knew of my judo background and ability to break falls and that I did not feel degraded by being tossed about.

The next video is of an elderly gentleman in Bagua Chang.

Do try to convince yourself that it was all mechanics of sinking of weight and bending of waist and alignment of feet and joints. Failing that it was all another hoax that clever Westerners will never fall for.

Fajing is not a property of taijichuan. That Master Liu of that HsingKongYuan was not a taiji man even if he kept brushing aside what jia he was. I believed he was of the liu her bah fah 六 合 八 法 . He with my other Masters told me whatever jia or pai would not matter once one can ting jing and more important, dong jing.

http://thedaobums.com/topic/24575-taijiquan-styles/page-4
    shanlung, on 23 Feb 2013 - 15:47, said:[​IMG]

Until Tinkerbell came into my life.
    And taijichuan went out as a result as I could not even find that 90 minutes daily.

But not entirely.
    But that’s another story.

That was in 2009. Since I was writing on totally different kind of crowd (birdie/beastie folks) with my son making cameo appearances . I did not mentioned about it then. But it came into my mind when I was writing above.

With my son in Budapest and Amsterdam // Setting the foundations for Riamfada's future

My son was in Budapest taking part in an IM chess tournament after a lay off of many years. I took time off my Oman assignment to fly there to give him moral support. That winter was one of the coldest winter in Europe.

Walking about Budapest left you frozen and after a couple of times, we did just hung about the hotel.

My son had a black 1 dan in Aikido. I laid off my taijichuan since Tinkerbell came into my life and I could not find that 90 mins just to tick over and I thought I forgot it all. I had not seen him for a few years prior to Budapest and I was curious of his Aikido and talked of martial arts.

We got to the corridor outside the room for a bit more space. On first hands on together, I was surprised at how stiff I perceived of him, his body and arm. As he moved in on me, I felt his intentions telegraphed to me. I thought aikido was soft and therefore aikido players should not be stiff like wood.

I went into a li. It felt natural for me to fah jing into my li notwithstanding I laid off even ticking over taijichuan for 9 years. In the Li, his arm came and in that split second, I knew his body did not.

To my horror, I pulled my son's arm out of his shoulder socket Needless to say, it all came to a stop.

After that initial shock, I pop back the joint and to my relief, no lasting damage. He consoled me that happened before to him. Even so, I felt so quilty of what I had done.

Idiotic Taoist who can be very stupid

KenBrace likes this.
  3. Shanlung Plant

4. Nocturnal Writer Atom

I play chess just to pass the time. I have never been serious in playing chess. I just know the baisc rules and movements of every pieces on how they are played. Out of my three games, I only won once. My favorite chess players are Karpov of Russia, Fischer of 'America, Torre of our country PH.

KenBrace likes this.
  5. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Yeah I really like Fischer and Karpov though I do prefer Fischer's playing style for both observing and playing purposes.

6. Jason76 Cat Moderator

I was reading a book on chess moves in the bookstore. Does anyone think they're helpful? As I said before, being a chess hustler might be a cool way to score some cash occasionally.

7. Shanlung Plant

Google AI takes on the world's Go champion

The moment of truth

AlphaGo has already beaten the European champion but, experts say, this is easy-peasy compared to taking on the masters in Asia - it would be like beating some non-league football side compared to playing Barcelona.

Mr Lee is the reigning human champion of the planet (though a Chinese contender is running close).

"Playing against a machine is very different from an actual human opponent," the world's Number 1 told the BBC.

"Normally, you can sense your opponent's breathing, their energy. And lots of times you make decisions which are dependent on the physical reactions of the person you're playing against.

"With a machine, you can't do that."

For this reason, it's not just a matter of the cold calculus of a computer working out permutations - or so Lee Se-dol hopes.

But he doesn't seem sure: "I've been telling people that I was certain that I would be the winner of all five matches. But Google - which developed the programme - seems to be quite confident, too".

Value judgements
    He is spooked by the idea that the computer can adapt its game as it learns its opponent's style - his mechanical opponent will adapt its style as it studies his.

This idea that a computer can learn how to ultimately beat a human has frightening possibilities if it were ever eventually translated into weapons, for example.

[​IMG]Image

"I hope this advanced technology will be used for useful things but I do fear that perhaps things may happen and turn out like a scene from a science fiction film," Mr Lee says.

"I think things like intuition, being able to make individual value judgments are all part of human character.

"If I do get a sense that a machine is starting to act or think like me, it will be frightening. But also we'll know for sure that this kind of technology now possesses the true potential for beneficial solutions and help the way we live".

Brute-free attack
    Go was invented by the Chinese 2,500 years ago or thereabouts. It's sometimes called an "imperial game" because it's about controlling territory (on the board) as opposed to chess which is about capturing the king.

Both are too complex for a computer to predict every move with utter certainty, through the brute force of computing power. Computers - like humans - have to assess.

As the Nature journal explained: "Chess is less complex than Go, but it still has too many possible configurations to solve by brute force alone. Instead, programs cut down their searches by looking a few turns ahead and judging which player would have the upper hand."

It added that recognising winning positions was also hard to do since Go's stones have equal values and can have "subtle impacts far across the board".

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  8. Shanlung Plant

9. Shanlung Plant

Just that you know the difference between FanHui and Lee.
    Champion he may be of Europe, FanHui is nothing in the top WeiChi world at all.
    Actually worse than a non league football side compared to Barcelona

But the match in Korea is a very different prospect. Fan Hui is ranked 633rd in the world. Lee Sedol is ranked 5th.

10. Shanlung Plant

2-0 for AlphaGo as Lee folded right at the end.

11. Shanlung Plant

3-0
    I eat back my words said earlier that no computer prog can take on a top Weichi Master for the next ten years.

I am not alone as the vast vast majority in WeiChi world and in AI thought the same too.

With 3-0, nuthing more can be said!

12. KenBrace Bird Administrator

This is quite an accomplishment for Google and the AI field in general.

What's even more amazing about Google's WeiChi program is that it was self-taught. It learned how to beat the top human players. Unlike most chess engines, the WeiChi engine gained its positional understanding by playing with itself (maybe I should have phrased that differently) over and over and over.

I'm really fascinated by AI that can learn. Static programs are great but they don't really improve. Dynamic programs can learn and improve all on their own. That's just super amazing in my opinion.

13. Shanlung Plant

This AI may have started with Wei Chi. But sure as the sun rises in the East, that AI will not end with Wei Chi.
    AlphaMind and DeepMind will go into other aspects of life with all of us in ways I and none others cannot even envisage now.

Some honor is salvaged for mankind.
    Lee won the 4th game to make it 3-1

May he go on to win and make it 3-2

14. Shanlung Plant

4-1

Even if Lee is ranked 5th, there is about hair breadth separation between Lee and current No 1 China Ke Jie

In the last game between Lee and KeJie, if the Korean/Japanese scoring rules were used, Lee would have won by 1/2 point. But using the Chinese scoring rules, Ke Jie won by 1/2 point.

AlphaGo on the other hand will keep improving vastly.

In the match with European Go Champion (ranked 633 in world in Oct last year, AlphaGo wins then were just wins and not thrashing. Showing that time AlphaGo was slightly better than Fanhui. FanHui was just barely scratching WeiChi professional level even if he was European Go Champion.

AlphaGo improved tremendously in the 6 months since then.
    It can only be assumed AlphaGo will improved even more by time the next match against a top level human is played.

KenBrace likes this.
  15. Shanlung Plant

16. ray Bacteria

I have been playing chess since I was 5 years old. I started playing it with maternal uncle that was 10 years older than me and was living with us for his schooling purpose. He taught me number of moves and formation. Later I played with other players and online. I enjoyed playing with online players on Orkut. Now I play it with good players or against computer with quick moves.

17. Shanlung Plant

18. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Chess is a game of studying counter-moves. That would be incredibly useful in war, prosecuting or defending yourself in the legal world, or in business (particularly Wall Street). Perhaps it should be general requirement in school.

For instance, if I move this one chess piece, then how will that effect an opponent's move on this go around, and also on the next one?

19. anupamas2 Atom

I used to play a long time ago. But now I am really out of touch. But I would like to restart it. I am hoping that in a few years time I can restart it with my kids.

20. ray Bacteria

I have been playing chess right from the age of 8 when my maternal uncle taught how to make a move. I soon picked up the finer points. I used to play chess in Indian style but later took to International style. I can play chess in both styles but International style is now common and more popular.