Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Do you believe in life after death?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Mwazaule, Nov 17, 2015.

1. jimbob Cat Moderator

Well, just make sure you don't waste this life waiting for the next.

2. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Oh yeah, note the fool who came up with the quote "I believe in life before death." :D

jimbob likes this.
  3. Ghost_Writer Atom

I can't tell if I totally believe in life after death (this seems to be a rather complex subject to explain to anyone), but for sure, I have a curiosity to know if this possibility exists.

I 've watched so many movies with this theme, I wonder more and more if it really is possible... After all, who does'nt want to have a new chance to live a new life again, right? :)

Here in my country, talk about "life after death" requires some care because this theme isn't so well accepted by society (which is a big mistake, because it ends up segregating something that should not be segregated)... And this is caused by the lack of communication and respect among equals. Although they have different points of view, we're all human beings.

By the way... Unfortunately, lack of communication and respect is an evil that affects the whole world.

4. Binu Molecule

I don't believe in afterlife in a sense that there is another existential plane. I believe in Karma, according to which only your body dies and the soulinside your body is immortal and after it leaves your body it will seek another body and will be born again. However, the new life will have previous life karma attached with it

5. tonyb Bacteria

I am a strong believer of the truth there is life after death. If you are a religious person this wouldn't be a matter to worry about as you would have been taught from the books about what happens to us after death. Findings by archaeologists these days are confirming events written in the Holy Book. You could go on pilgrimage to see a picture of some of the happenings on this earth described in the Holy Book. If what was written over 2000 years ago can still be pictured by man this time then certainly concerning what happens after death as expalained in the Bible cannot be refuted.

6. jimbob Cat Moderator

And it's nothing new. We oftentimes get so closed-minded that the only perspective we can see is ours. Communicating will most times allow for respect, but not necessarily total agreement, of different perspectives.

Jason76 likes this.
  7. jimbob Cat Moderator

Is that really a truth or is it truly the way you believe?

Truths require proof and evidence; beliefs do not.

8. Jason76 Cat Moderator

True, a lot of problems in the world caused by people who cannot see other perspectives. For instance, racism is caused cause two groups cannot see things from another's POV. However, though that leads to argument of whether all POVs are equal. For instance, Al Queda might have reasons to hate the US, but should I respect their POV?

9. jimbob Cat Moderator

Sure, I can respect their point of view. I feel they are wrong because they are intentionally killing innocent people in order to get what they want. I do not respect their method. And this takes us to the bottom line. Their actions are unacceptable. Either stop or die.

Jason76 likes this.
  10. ray Bacteria

I am not sure, in fact I have come across this question number of times in recent years but I could never say anything in favor or against it. As per the common belief in my community the life exists even after death or they believe that the soul never dies but remains in universe. As per the famous religious book Gita a person is born as different creature after every death and his birth in human form is a rare opportunity provided to those who spend their present life doing good deeds.

11. Decentlady Bacteria

I do believe in Karma and reincarnation. I beg to differ with all those who say there is no proof. We all have limited knowledge on various fields and information keeps getting up to date every second! If I am allowed to share a very relevant and interesting article here, I think this vibrant thread can have better updates.

http://todayzu.blogspot.in/2015/12/karma-rebirth-and-reincarnation-from.html?m=1

12. Decentlady Bacteria

I do believe in Karma and reincarnation. I beg to differ with all those who say there is no proof. We all have limited knowledge on various fields and information keeps getting up to date every second! If I am allowed to share a very relevant and interesting article here, I think this vibrant thread can have better updates.

http://todayzu.blogspot.in/2015/12/karma-rebirth-and-reincarnation-from.html?m=1

13. jimbob Cat Moderator

I do not believe in karma or reincarnation. There is no supportable evidence that these exist in reality.

However, I do not wish to force my beliefs on others. Others are free to believe whatever they wish as long as those beliefs cause no harm to other.

Now, if anyone would present to me good scientific research, peer reviewed and verified by repeated tests, that karma and reincarnation are concepts of reality and that they are facts and not just pipe dreams, I might reconsider my understandings and opinions.

To this present day none have been provided.

However, I do hold to the concept of "cause and effect". Example: You were born therefore you will die.

14. tonyb Bacteria

I used the word truth because there are tangible proofs from the Bible. All the proofs are there in the Bible for the religious Christian man.

15. jimbob Cat Moderator

And people read anything into the words of the Bible they want the Bible to say and swear that that's what the words in the Bible meant.

But on your side, yes, there are some historically correct entries in the Bible. I will not try to discredit the Bible but we should stick with what can be proven and leave the rest up to questioning. And beside any historical facts, there are a lot of excellent lessons in the Bible regarding how we should live our life. Correct wisdom is good regardless of the source.

Corena likes this.
  16. Corena Atom

I wouldn't want to say there is not life after death, although I don't truly think that there is. It bothers me to no end that I can't convince myself to believe in life after death. I mean, who doesn't want to believe in that especially those of us who have lost really important people in our lives. Knowing that they were actually in a better place and that you would get to see them again one day is an amazing thought.

However, I have always traveled and went to any "haunted" places I could find because I wanted so badly to see a "ghost", for the simple fact that if they were real, that means there must be something more than just blackness when we die. Unfortunately, I'm sad to say I have been to many, many "haunted" places and I have never seen anything that would even make me even slightly believe that "ghosts" were real.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    jimbob likes this.
  17. tonyb Bacteria

Belief in reincarnation simply has no proof. I haven't seen any one who says he once lived before and able to give a clear picture or narrative of the life he lived before. If you were asked have you lived before, what would be your answer? If you say yes what proof have you. In fact the doctrine of reincarnation leaves too many questions unanswered.

jimbob likes this.
  18. jimbob Cat Moderator

I have had a few Buddhists try to convince that reincarnation is real. They all failed.

19. tonyb Bacteria

I have also had a similar experience. I haven't been able to see any tangible proof from those advocating reincarnation, most of their stories are based on hearsay.

jimbob likes this.
  20. Alexandoy Bacteria

I am a Catholic but not a very religious person. However, my belief in life after death is the continued existence of our soul or spirit (I admit that I am confused on the difference of soul with spirit). I tend to believe the concept of reincarnation because I have read a lot about it. But I don't believe the Dalai Lama of Tibet is a reincarnation of the previous Dalai Lama.

My take on life after death is that the soul goes back to its origin - God or whatever we call the supreme being - and then the soul is somewhat diluted or processed before being sent out again to a new life. That's why the baby is born without knowledge of his previous life because he had undergone a process. And on the next life of the soul, the person should be better in positive terms than his previous life.