Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Do you believe in life after death?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Mwazaule, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Mwazaule Atom

Once we pass away then we go to another world. We keep on living. Many myths and stories have been made of life after death because no one dies and comes back. But is there really life after life? Or is there blackness. If no then why are there ghosts? What are they. Help me uncover this controversial topic.

2. KenBrace Bird Administrator

I honestly don't have a straight answer for this question. There's really no sound evidence for life after death but at the same time the nature of consciousness is such that I wouldn't be surprised if you did exist in some form or another after your death.

Regarding ghosts, I think most people are either lying or are delusional. These ghost sightings that you hear about are almost certainly all fake.

Corena likes this.
  3. Rubie Atom

I agree with you @Admin. Although there are some belief regarding the after death existence, but since no proof is yet proven because obviously dead people cannot return back to life just to prove it, then no exact evidence to believe in it. But we can't force anyone not to believe because some religions explained how it is possible. I may not be one of those who directly believe in it, but because I believe in God, there's still a a big amount of believing in Him rather than believing in unproven event in life's journey.

Generally speaking, no direct answer can be given considering the validity of the event.

4. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

Life after death is probably just like life before conception and birth. If it exists, it is totally beyond our knowledge, one way or the other.

I like the way Flannery O'Connor put it (but these were decidedly not her views -- they belonged to a character in a story): "I preach the church without Christ where the blind don't see, the lame don't walk, and the dead stay dead."

I think the dead stay dead. Our concerns are bookended by birth and death. Everything else is Somebody Else's problem.

5. Jason76 Cat Moderator

I want to believe, but sometimes it seems to good to be true.

6. Jason76 Cat Moderator

The Bible gives support for a demonic/angelic world, but not ghosts.

7. jimbob Cat Moderator

I believe in life before death.

KenBrace and Jason76 like this.
  8. Jason76 Cat Moderator

What's mistaken as life by many, isn't an abundant life as Jesus spoke about.

9. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

Certainly, life everlasting is one of the great treasures of faith, a comfort to the dying and to the suffering.

IF there is life after death, we do not need to worry about it -- and so also if there isn't. According to Jesus, before we get to life everlasting, we must face the Final Judgement on our lives. Did we feed the hungry, house the homeless, clothe the naked, take care of the sick, and so on. Love one another, in other words. Take care of each other.

Fortunately, we can do this, and there are immediate rewards. And if we do them, it is a good thing whether there is life everlasting or not.

KenBrace likes this.
  10. jimbob Cat Moderator

I don't pay too much attention to what Jesus had to say.

KenBrace likes this.
  11. KenBrace Bird Administrator

A good life is one that you're satisfied with. Simple as that. If you feel good about yourself, your goals, your accomplishments, your relationships with other people, etc. then you're living a fulfilling life. If not then I suggest you find out what's wrong and do your best to change it.

jimbob likes this.
  12. Zyni Bacteria

I think many people spend a lot of time in life doing just that: looking for something to make life feel fulfilling. For argument's sake, let's just say there is a "higher power." Doesn't it make sense that we would seek it out and feel a void in our lives without it? Maybe, people who feel empty or unfulfilled are really seeking something more than what this life and this world have to offer. Just something to think about.

jimbob likes this.
  13. prissanna Atom

I think I might be in the minority here, but I do believe in life after death (Heaven or Hell) and I do believe in the Bible and what Jesus had to say. I would rather take the chance of believing in salvation and being wrong than not believing in it and being wrong. I can't imagine life without God in it. I'm not a religious nut but I am thankful that I was raised in a Godly home and am raising my children in the same manner.

As far as ghosts, I do not believe in that crazy mess. I have went on ghost tours (for the historic knowledge of towns and buildings) and watched the ghost shows on TV. I constantly roll my eyes at what they call ghosts.

Zyni and jimbob like this.
  14. Jason76 Cat Moderator

There is some debate as to the true meaning. For instance, when he says something like "Do not to offend the little ones, lest have a millstone around your neck and get thrown into the sea.", some say he's referring to child abuse, but a lot of scholars say he's referring to the temptation of faithful church members. However, it could have a double meaning.

Again the verse in question (in the reply), could be referring to some left wing stuff, or could refer to church members only, particuarly in the end time scenario.

15. Jason76 Cat Moderator

One's view of a good life could be deceptive. It's like saying I'm satisfied with hamburgers, when Iv'e never tasted sirloin.

16. Jason76 Cat Moderator

I think Christianity offers everything that non-Christians get. However, it's more of a "square" way of doing things. Say if you want a buzz, you got the holy spirit. If you want sex, then you find beautiful wife etc..

The downside of the non-Christian alternative would be the danger (drug addiction, problems with sex outside of marriage). In addition, it could be a case where the non-Christian alternative actually isn't better. For instance, Robert Plant, lead singer of Led Zeppelin, noted a family life was better than all the fame he recieved.

17. kamai Molecule

My believes are not based on religious facts some religions claim to be true but comes from within me. I don't follow any religion but I do believe in God with all my heart. I do believe in after life because I feel we were all born for a purpose and that is to live further from the life we have here on earth. This life is just a test to determine where our real life will be after we have died. Our body might not be alive anymore but our spirits will live on further. The evil will have a life full of disgrace while those who were good will be chosen to live in a place full of peace. Now we have to be careful how we bahave here on earth because we never know how the after life will treat us.

18. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

Kamal, welcome to Discusstruth philosophy forum. Thanks for your contributions.

19. kamai Molecule

Thank you for welcoming me and you are welcome I find this forum interesting and quite informative.

20. remnant Atom

I am a pious and spiritual person and would be committing a great disservice not to affirm that there is life after death. Archaeological and scientific evidence are increasingly pointing to proof of biblical facts and personalities who all pointed to life after death. Delivered occultists would no doubt attest to this.