Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Do you believe in everything that is written in the Bible?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Shine_Spirit, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Shine_Spirit Bacteria

The other day I was arguing with a friend (an inveterate Catholic) and we had a good discussion about how true the content is in the bible.

One of the strengths of the discussion was the existence of heaven and hell. He faithfully believes in it and I am quite the opposite.

I think heaven and hell already exist, and we are in it... Everything depends on our actions. He treated my comment as if it were a heresy, and I found it all very funny. :ROFL:

It was a long conversation, but of course we are on opposite sides when it comes to the content of the bible. :)

2. tonyb Bacteria

I believe in everything that is written in the Bible. Since Bible is from God then I am fully obliged to believe every message it has for us.
    Regarding Heaven and Hell being here with us already is fallacy. If the so called 'pleasure' of this Earth is likened to Heaven by people I'd think that's a big error. What good life do we really enjoy here surrounded by uncertainties.

3. jimbob Cat Moderator

Reminded me of a commentary of Sima Qian (145-86 BC), the father of Chinese history. The comment was that Siam Qian was a great historian but he never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Recorded history is like that.

Selena likes this.
  4. Alexandoy Bacteria

I was born and raised as a Catholic but I admit that my learning is not that much when it comes to religion. However, I had some questions about the Bible that I don't dare to ask the priests because they might be offended. My first question is about the new testament where the lineage of Jesus was mentioned. This portion of the Bible is being read to church one day in the Christmas season - the enumeration of names from Abraham up to Joseph. Now, I thought that Joseph is the foster father of Jesus, am I right on this? So why trace the bloodline of Joseph? Perhaps the bloodline of Mary is more logical to establish than the family tree of Joseph. I remember asking about this to a chatechist (a layman who teaches religion). The answer given was that Mary is a close relative of Joseph so the lineage mentioned in the Bible is still factual. Oh, oh, bad answer.

5. jimbob Cat Moderator

The only answers I got to my questions when I was a young lad was that I had to accept it through faith. I never had much faith in anything I couldn't control.

Selena likes this.
  6. Kenicia Atom

I believe that the bible was tampered with.

Selena likes this.
  7. jimbob Cat Moderator

I will suggest that this is an understatement.

Selena likes this.
  8. Working Buck Molecule

I do believe that there is a higher being than us, and in my own opinion, the bible was created and connected to a higher being that most people believe in. this was done to take control over people's minds. Care to check the bible and you will see a lot of contradictions in it, it may be true, but I do think it was tampered with. I'm not against Catholics but I do think they are the ones responsible for the contents of the bible that we have now. I mean, I would believe in what's stated in there as long as the preacher walks the talk if you know what I mean.

Jasmin Cottontail likes this.
  9. LesY Atom

I don't believe in the Bible. To me it seems impossible that someone received a 'message from God' and wrote it down into something, and that that particular piece has been preserved intact until now. Every person that comes across a text and translates it or interprets it puts a bit of him/her on it.

I don't fully reject the idea of the existence of a higher being, I just don't think a book might be the correct tool to reach it. I don't mean to offend anyone who is really religious, anyone can believe what they want.

Selena likes this.
  10. Jasmin Cottontail Molecule

I do believe in God and in the Bible but there are times that I have questions to whether or not everything in it are true. We were raised believing in God and in the Bible but as I grow older, I come to think if everything that was written in the Bible are real. But who am I to doubt? Since I believe in God and I have faith, I believe I just need to hold on to that faith and simply believe in the Bible :)

11. Selena Bacteria

I think it would be easier to believe in a God if there wasn't a bible. How can anyone believe something written so long ago by man??

It's been translated a bunch of times and knowing even 2 languages I see how terribly things get translated, sometimes it's so bad it's laughable.

The Bible is a history book and that's all it is....

12. LightOfDay Atom

You need to understand the exoteric and esoteric meanings of every holy texts. The bible definitely has truth in it, but not in the literal sense. I know most Christians will immediately dismiss this as it's probably the most ingrained belief in their brain. Considering other options is nearly impossible for many of them. At the very least, I wish more Christians would try to live by Christ's words as his message is the message of ultimate truth. Most Christians will say they are Christian, but live only for materialism because they don't truly have a spiritual connection. This is living the Satanic lifestyle, and they don't even realize it. They have completely identified with this world and nothing else. Understanding and knowing that there is absolutely 100% an objective law of morality set in the universe is key to the true connection with God. Sadly, morals are gone and people think they have the right to decide for themselves what is right and wrong. This path will only lead to misery and internal chaos which eventually manifests as chaos in reality that affects others. Everyone needs to start considering truth as the most imporant thing in life, and they need to actively seek it out as a normal part of their life. If you don't yet understand that this world is run by Luciferians and Satanists, you haven't even scratched the surface. I've known this for almost a decade and until recently realized I've been selfish in not speaking about it. When you learn the truth, you are obligated to spread it; it doesn't belong to you. It belongs to all. And just to clarify, when I say Luciferians and Satanists, these people don't literally believe in the devil. Everything is symbolic. It is occult knowledge that has been hidden throughout the ages and passed down among their families while recruiting new people they deem illuminated in every generation. They are the absolute epitome of evil, and people really need to start learning about this and telling others because with the level of technology that is here, we are on the verge of complete physical enslavement. They mastered enslaving people's minds thousands of years ago. I realize this can sound unbelievable, but I know it is the truth and I hope more people will realize it before it's too late.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  13. jimbob Cat Moderator

Hi LightOfDay,

Welcome to the forum. May you enjoy your time here.

The lessons in the Bible are what is important. Therefore, in my understanding, the Bible should be understood figuratively, not literally. The words aren't all that important; it are the concepts that are of value. (Some don't even matter as they are time specific.)

And this is an Atheist saying this.

14. LightOfDay Atom

Thanks man. Yeah, the esoteric meaning is in a way figurative, but it is deeper because you have to have prerequisite knowledge and more precisely Occult knowledge. It's truly amazing to read after you have that knowledge. I really recommend people read about astrotheology as well as the occult. I know people shy away from the occult because they instinctively think of it as evil. While there are definitely evil people using Occult knowledge against us and have for thousands of years, occult simply means hidden. There's never anything wrong with learning more; it only becomes wrong when you start using your knowledge to manipulate others for your own personal gain. It is a very easy path for people to fall into.

jimbob likes this.