Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

cybrog labour : labour by Robots

Discussion in 'Science' started by Geeta, Feb 6, 2017.

?

Labour by Robots and unemployment

1. 12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Geeta Molecule

I come across a new term Cybrog labour or labour by Robots. Suddenly I clicked to my mind that do we really need Robots as labour. Already world is facing unemployment crisis, so is it right to encourage labour by Robots? According to me it is not. What is your take on it?

jimbob likes this.
  2. Decentlady Bacteria

While not everything can be done by robots nevertheless, they have their place when it comes to workforce.

They ease complicated repeatitive tasks and hence aid human in accelerating progress and efficiency. They need to be programmed to follow certain commands and they are useful in areas where it would be difficult for a human to work optimally in a long run.

However, I don't think that unemployment is really caused by robots or that robots have displaced humans. There are still a lots of ways to earn for humans and sustain their lives. You just need to be flexible.

3. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yeah, it reduces the cost of labor but it puts people out of work. I just don't like the use of them.

4. Alexandoy Bacteria

The inventions of machine is a gift from the heavens. I had seen a video of the Toyota plant where robot arms are working on the body of the car in the painting department. The narration said that the car’s body is being baked so the paint will be like permanent. And in that procedure, only the robot can do it.

When the computer was emerging in our country in the 1970s, I was a programmer for the mainframe IBM-370 which was not fully accepted by the people. In one department, there was this sign that says IBM – it’s better manual. That is the sentiment against the computer. The workers are insecure that the machine will take over their jobs. Now that computers are common, there are, in fact, more jobs. Am I right on this? With the robots, that’s the same thing. People are just insecure that’s why they don’t like robots.

Believer likes this.
  5. Believer Bacteria

I am in total agreement with @Alexandoy on this topic. What we call a robot is just another word for a machine that performs a specific skilled job, and we have had machines that do this for almost 100 years now.
    Agriculture is a great example of using machinery, and it actually creating more jobs. Before machinery, all textiles and food products had to be planted and harvested by hand, by field workers. The procedure was slow, and the workers barely earned a living picking cotton or vegetables.
    Now, we have machines that harvest many of these products, and huge plants where they are processed into usable items, or canned into food products that people buy. People now work in the factories instead of harvesting in the fields; but the jobs are still there.

As far as a cyborg is concerned, that is a totally different thing than a robot. It would involve someone who is part human and part machine, and at this time, we do not have anything like that. The old television show , "Six Million Dollar Man" was basically about a cyborg, a person who almost died from injuries, and was rebuilt using mechanical parts that were stronger than his body had been before the accident.
    While we do have artificial limbs for people, it is not actually developed enough to where they are a cyborg, or can do things that other humans cannot do.

6. Raven Atom

There are always people who object to change, even progress. Some objected to the first developments of the agricultural revolution, and the industrial revolution on the grounds that it would take their jobs. Look at the 19th century Luddites, smashing looms and sewing machines because they put weavers and tailors out of business. The people the machines put out of work, though, found other jobs and new jobs were created running the factories and building and managing the machines.

Automated factories and factory robots aren't new. The only problem is whether new jobs are being created for people to move into, and making sure people can transition.

I think the closest we come to cyborgs are pacemaker implants and prosthetics. We haven't developed integration of man and machine yet.