Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Contemporary Beliefs and Practices

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Rosyrain, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Rosyrain Atom

I think this question could be posed of anyone of any religion, but are your beliefs and the way you practice your religion of a contemporary model, or are you a believer in tradition? I personally am a Christian who feels that we should love everyone, no matter what their sexual nature is, for example. Some traditional Christians think that the only real love is between a man and a woman, but I do not find this to be the case. I feel that people should be free to love who they want and should not be judged for it. What are your contemporary beliefs and how do they differ from the elders who practice your religion?

2. Believer Bacteria

I believe that it is not my job to judge any one, or how they live their life. If I need to do anything, it is simply to uphold that person in prayer, and let God deal with them.
    However, I also believe that I can live my personal life without being involved with people whose lifestyle I do not care for. This is not the same as judging them or condemning them, it is just deciding who I want to be around in my life.
    As a human being, I believe that we should try our best to love other humans, and if someone was in a car wreck and I could help them, I would do it with no consideration at all about what that person's morals or beliefs were.
    I think that telling someone that they are living wrong, or going to hell, is never going to make them want to become a Christian. Showing them that we have concern for them is a lot better way in my opinion.
    Jesus rescued the lost sheep; he did not push it off of the cliff.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    Rosyrain likes this.
  3. jimbob Cat Moderator

Well, let me first say that any Christian who is judging others is making a mistake in that they are told to not judge. It is in the hands of God/Jesus to judge.

Okay, I'm an Atheist. But still ...

We need to separate the word "love" from the word "sex". Two different concepts.

Yes, we can love whoever we feel attracted to; man, woman, child. And regardless of all the various classifications we place on humans. And yes, we can love our cat or dog if there is justification.

Rosyrain likes this.
  4. Geeta Molecule

I belongs to a high caste Hindu family. There are many things on which I and my grandfather disagree like eating non-veg, some religious practices etc. I always try to rationalise things and he is just an orthodox. Talking about love, affection or any same feeling I don't think so that it only exists between Boy and girl, I mean I love my books, PC, my pets and all. Love can happen anywhere with anyone, it is just a feeling of lumbic system nothing else.

jimbob likes this.