Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Bastard Old Nick

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Shanlung, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Shanlung Plant

I had a touch of the bug, with aches in joints and feeling sick as a dog on Monday. Not got over completely on Tuesday 14 Feb 2017 . I had a smoke on ciggie about 14:30. A drag and I then killed the ciggie with 90% left on it. With 4 unopened packs of ciggie, one 90% left unsmoked ciggie, 2 opened packs of ciggie. I decided I should go for my next quit Which I did.. I am please to shout to the world I have kicked Old Nic balls and told him to fuck off for 23 bloody hours, 49 misc minutes and 0 odd seconds. of cold turkey after about 45++ years of smoking. 50 cigarettes not smoked, saving $26.57. Life saved: 4 hours, 10 minutes.

==================================================

There was an interesting episode yesterday morning. I made my breakfast of chopped spam and stewed shitake mushrooms and 2 eggs scrambled with cheese & myriad spices just like before. I nearly spewed that first mouthful out as it was so salty. It was such a labour invested I did not want to throw that away. But after eating half, I had to give that up cannibalising the spam to Mimi the kittie my silly wife dragged back. It was last night it struck on me why I found that breakfast to be so salty. My taste buds returned after just 18 hours of not smoking. I now will be looking forward to the delicious hawker food of Singapore to re-experience them again with my new taste buds. For now I can scream I have kicked Old Nic balls and told him to fuck off for One luvly day, 19 bloody hours, 25 misc minutes and 2 odd seconds. of cold turkey after about 45++ years of smoking. 92 cigarettes not smoked, saving $48.44. Life saved: 7 hours, 40 minutes.
    =================================================================

There had been screamings of renewals of friendship , the loudest were from that 90% left unsmoked ciggie. A couple of time, I was on the verge of flushing that down the toilet. Each time I walked to do that, the ciggie realised it was close to a watery death and put on a cone of silence and thus was saved yet again. Lots of triggers even without that 90%left ciggie on my home ashtray. Outside, there would be the ciggie stop before I get up MRT. Then ciggie stop after I left the train station. And ciggie stop before the ciggie stop. and ciggie with coffee and ciggie when in the loo. Even when walking with Kee Wah after lunch yesterday, he laughed to see how I headed for non aircond areas as a subconcious finding of smoking routes. He reminded me I could walk merrily in pedestrian walkways without fear of a $200 or more fine imposed as I not a smoker, at least in this interim period. I found I inadvertently carried an opened pack of ciggie in my backpack. Told you I had 3-4 of those. Not a squeak from that pack as yet. So quite I forgot it was there. He used to smoke before too. After lunch , we adjourned for drinks in Chinatown with Rodney and Kee Chong. That another occasion which normally demand ciggieing away to help the beer go down. I instead bought half a roasted chicken for us all to help the beer to go down making outrageous jokes and remarks at the beer girls to make their low cuts appreciated. Might surprised quite a few of you. But I am please to yell out at this point I have kicked Old Nic balls and told him to fuck off for Three luvly days, 1 bloody hour, 51 misc minutes and 33 odd seconds. of cold turkey after about 45++ years of smoking. 156 cigarettes not smoked, saving $82.39. Life saved: 13 hours, 0 minutes.

================================
    Over 4 days into the fight with Bastard Old Nic. Much of the poison he gave me must be already out of me. Its been said to
    take 72 hours to 96 hours for the nicotine and other shit to be out of the bloodstream. Coughing to get the ickky stuff from lungs might take 4-5 days or so. Residues might take a year and still be detected.

That said, within a couple of hours, much nicotine already cleared the system. Which is why the craving for another cigarette comes so fastf or you to want to light up to top up that nicotine level in your bloodstream.
    And why a ciggie in the morning so essential to replace what was cleared during the night. Nicotine is a deadly poison used in strongest rat poison and insecticides. So if the body did not try its best to survive
    by removing it, you just die.

Carbon monoxides also clearing from my system. In the third day, yesterday or so, I felt a fog lifting from my mind and soul as well. And energy returning in surges. In the past should I see I have another 12 seconds
    to walk across the road before the light changed, I would have waited for the next cycle. I found with 6 seconds left to cross,the road, it was nothing at all for me to run and rush across the road.

I also drank a lot less fruit juices lime juice etc. I drank a lot more very weak chinese tea. I should check my blood sugar level and I suspect that must be a lot better as well with much mental alertness.

The bad news is that tough as the fight in the first 3 days when the ciggie toxins were clearing from the body, the fight barely started. And the fight now is in the most insidious phase. Bastard O' Nick still exist in my mind and from
    time to time, I seen him trying to do a mindfuck with me. I got very strong legs, and I kick Old Nick in his balls trying to drive it out of his backbone each time he appeared. Last few times he came with his hands covering his family jewels. When he saw my eyes on him, he quickly moved off. I learned from my last nearly 3 years fight with that Bastard, he is a very slimy one and he can throw very devious curved balls.

The fight is all mine and must be fought by me alone. But having you guys alongside helps a lot.

As said, the 3s are very deadly and must be respected.
    I have cleared the 3rd day. Many difficult battles ahead for me especially then the 3rd week gets nearer.

And then the 3rd Month.

In the meantime, I can shout out loud and clear I have kicked Old Nic balls and told him to fuck off for Four luvly days, 2 bloody hours, 47 misc minutes and 26 odd seconds. of cold turkey after about 45++ years of smoking. 209 cigarettes not smoked, saving $110.21. Life saved: 17 hours, 25 minutes.
    ===============================================

As first said on 14 Feb 2017, I had a touch of the bug, with aches in joints and feeling sick as a dog on Monday. Not got over completely on Tuesday 14 Feb 2017 . I had a smoke on ciggie about 14:30. A drag and I then killed the ciggie with 90% left on it. With 4 unopened packs of ciggie, one 90% left unsmoked ciggie, 2 opened packs of ciggie. I decided I should go for my next quit Which I did..

I knew I could not stay at home with triggers about everywhere I turned. As a coward, I thought if I could go see a show in cinema, I could get through the nex 3 to 4 hours without getting catatonic. Even so, cycling to the train station at Jurong Point and stopping there was a trigger point where I would smoke a ciggie. The walking that bit to the train station was another trigger point where I would inhale good and deep yet another ciggie;. No smoking on train with $2,000 fine would keep me safe for the 15 minutes train ride. Until I exit at Jurong East, get out of the station and trigger for yet another ciggie. Then smoking before the cinema yet another. With that kind of backdrop, I dared not even turn my head after the train station and ran into Jem Cinema to hide from the full fury of Bastard Old Nick for the next 3 hours or so.. I had briefly referred to the shows on which showed a movie called Silence, about two Jesuit priests in Japan in the 17th century. I had not known more of that movie as it was almost chosen at random by me as a refugee for me to hide.

If I was told, or I read about the incredible beauty of that movie, I would not have believed such a movie was possible. That movie was so stunning that Bastard Old Nick disappeared from my mind completely not just during the movie, but for a good hour after that as I tried to grasp what that movie was about. Silence, while of Japan, was shot in Taiwan, a country I love with my heart. I had not known then during the movie, but many of the scenes were almost recognisable in the swirling mists and drifting rain giving it an ethereal presence. How two Jesuit priests, the CIA and KGB of those days, tried to find their Father Confessor said to be in Japan. Under fierce prosecutions and deaths, and how they tried to spread their faith. Hunted by an extremely intellegient Japanese Inquisitor rooting out Christianity. I am a Taoist as I often said and confessed to you. I respect almost all faiths. Silence is such a spiritual movie that you will be touched by the movie in ways you cannot imagine. And realised that truth is truly unknown and transformed itself from different angle. And the spiritual exist within the priests and the Inquisitor as well. And what it meant to be human. Very difficult for me to write trying not to allow spoilers . The Silence was written by a Japanese Shusaku Endo. Scorsese collaborated with Endo and it was said he has been faithful to Shusaku Endo's text and to the deep questions within it
    . I google away after I saw the movie and smiled when the familiar sights I saw were really familiar and shot in Taiwan. I was flabbergasted to read that Pope Paul VI once urged his flock, in a sermon at Nagasaki cathedral shortly after publication of the novel, not to read Silence. He depicted the novel as tantamount to a vindication of blasphemy. After you see that movie, you wonder how he could do that. When you are at the movie, blink if you must , before the show. Do not blink in the last 2-3 seconds of the entire movie. How that was done added an eldritch touch to a movie that was already incredibly spiritual. You can read all bout the movie or the book before going to the show. I do not think you need to worry about spoilers as the movie is beyond that. And if you must know, Rotten Tomatoes gave Silence 83% The current Pope love the movie, and I presume the book too.

And of course, I still stay the course. I have kicked Old Nic balls and told him to fuck off for Four luvly days, 8 bloody hours, 39 misc minutes and 59 odd seconds. of cold turkey after about 45++ years of smoking. 222 cigarettes not smoked, saving $116.75. Life saved: 18 hours, 30 minutes.

==================================================

And what of now??
    I have kicked Old Nic balls and told him to fuck off for Four luvly days, 20 bloody hours, 58 misc minutes and 0 odd seconds. of cold turkey after about 45++ years of smoking. 248 cigarettes not smoked, saving $130.49. Life saved: 20 hours, 40 minutes.

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

But not smoking sure has caused you to become very wordy. I hope you don't run of the wife and kitty with all your wordiness.

But really, congratulations. I still smoke; am smoking at this very moment.

Selena likes this.
  3. Shanlung Plant

You better check your meds. Can any male out talk the wife? Can any kitty be awed with words?
    Please watch you do not hallucinate on whatever you smoking now. Moderation is always good in all
    things good for life and living.

jimbob likes this.
  4. jimbob Cat Moderator

You get three points for awareness Shanlung. You done good.

5. Shanlung Plant

And I can stand on my soap box and shout out.
    I have kicked Old Nic balls and told him to fuck off for Six luvly days, 9 bloody hours, 41 misc minutes and 29 odd seconds. of cold turkey after about 45++ years of smoking. 326 cigarettes not smoked, saving $171.45. Life saved: 1 day, 3 hours, 10 minutes.

KenBrace and jimbob like this.
  6. jimbob Cat Moderator

Hang in there friend. You have the right to be proud of what you are doing.

7. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Great job Shanlung! Stick with it. Your lungs are proud of you right now. :)

I've heard from other smokers that the first two weeks are the hardest part. Once you enter the third week, withdrawals have pretty much cleared up and it's just a matter of avoiding the habit.

8. Shanlung Plant

I must never think I won. As I surely would have lost at that point.

In the meanwhile, I can shout from top of my soap box .

I have kicked Old Nic balls and told him to fuck off for One wonderful week, three luvly days, 1 bloody hour, 9 misc minutes and 43 odd seconds. of cold turkey after about 45++ years of smoking. 512 cigarettes not smoked, saving $269.03. Life saved: 1 day, 18 hours, 40 minutes.

jimbob likes this.
  9. Shanlung Plant

That 90% unsmoked ciggie was getting very uppity with me a while ago. I been ignoring it whispering that he want to jump to my mouth. It was when he started moaning ALLAHUA AKBA that I knew I had to throw that bastard into the toilet and flush that down together with the other ciggie butts in the ash tray. The half opened packs of ciggies immediately slience themselves after they saw I meant business.
    I have kicked Old Nic balls and told him to fuck off for One wonderful week, three luvly days, 7 bloody hours, 39 misc minutes and 39 odd seconds. of cold turkey after about 45++ years of smoking. 526 cigarettes not smoked, saving $276.28. Life saved: 1 day, 19 hours, 50 minutes.

jimbob likes this.
  10. Shanlung Plant

I must never ever think I won the fucking war. All I won are battles of impulses that were thrown at me by that Bastard O'Nic . Who knows all he need is to win one, just one , and he will have me by the balls again. While I appreciate your supports, never ever tell me (or anyone else fighting that bastard) that I have won. The war aint over, hopefully for a long time as I do like to live on for a long long time even if the Earth and Societies go into the shit hole. But in the mean time, I can shout I have kicked Old Nic balls and told him to fuck off for One wonderful week, three luvly days, 20 bloody hours, 36 misc minutes and 48 odd seconds. of cold turkey after about 45++ years of smoking. 553 cigarettes not smoked, saving $290.73. Life saved: 1 day, 22 hours, 5 minutes.

11. Shanlung Plant

It can be fucking funny! I was at this facebook support group to stop smoking when I wrote that bit " That 90% unsmoked ciggie was getting very uppity with me a while ago. I been ignoring it whispering that he want to jump to my mouth. It was when he started moaning ALLAHUA AKBA that I knew I had to throw that bastard into the toilet and flush that down together with the other ciggie butts in the ash tray. The half opened packs of ciggies immediately slience themselves after they saw I meant business.
    I have kicked Old Nic balls and told him to fuck off for One wonderful week, three luvly days, 7 bloody hours, 39 misc minutes and 39 odd seconds. of cold turkey after about 45++ years of smoking. 526 cigarettes not smoked, saving $276.28. Life saved: 1 day, 19 hours, 50 minutes." One muslim woman wrote she was very offended "Somayya Bint Yusuf " It was when he started moaning ALLAHUA AKBA that I knew I had to throw that bastard into the toilet and flush that down..." how offensive you are. This group has been amazing with help, support and encouragement to those wishing to stop smoking. Today I was shocked to see your obvious racist and ignorant comment. Is this the forum to slyly spreading your bigotry? Shame on you." When I then replied "Shan Lung Why should I feel any shame ? I certainly do not feel any shame and I laugh at your cupidity in trying to make me or anyone else feel shame! Because you feel so uptight about hypocritically praying five times a day while taharrushing? And I love, just LOVE pork chops and braised pork belly. Am I to give that up because of ignorance of wonderful good food?" The good book of ethical and polictically correct behaviour was read to me to ask me I must be politically correct and my writings to be squeaky clean so as not to offend those that must not be offended and I replied "So I am asked to join up with politically correct thoughts so that someone who so chose and wished to be insulted will not see the squeak of insult against even when none was intended in the first place? Is it meaningful for me to be back? Probably not. So someone here will have to walk with Sarah Louise on that long hard road" With that, I removed myself from that group and those I hold hands on this path on the Garden of Pain can find a muslim with compassion to walk with them. Which meant they will walk alone as where do one find a muslim with compassion as they think only of their 72 virgins and no way else. I have kicked Old Nic balls and told him to fuck off for One wonderful week, three luvly days, 22 bloody hours, 14 misc minutes and 17 odd seconds. of cold turkey after about 45++ years of smoking. 557 cigarettes not smoked, saving $292.55. Life saved: 1 day, 22 hours, 25 minutes.

12. jimbob Cat Moderator

Well, I know you well enough to know that your comment was nothing new for you. You have your understandings and we both know that they will conflict with the views of others, especially those who live a false life within political correctness.

Sad you decided to leave the group but I suppose you did what you felt was the best thing. There are other groups you could join up with.

I'm still smoking so I can't walk that path with you right now but I do comment when I feel it appropriate.

Hang in there and leave the ciggies and the Muslims alone.

13. Shanlung Plant

Is there any point for me to cower before those kind of bitches? backed by politically correct buggers that they terrorised into backing their holier than thou vomit that they spewed? She never ever offered any comfort or help or tiniest squeak to others battling Bastard O' Nic. Whereas I knew of the pains of withdrawals and agony of standing up to O' Nic. I helped to remove the dead bodies those in withdrawal traumas left behind , clean off the blood and plant flowers and gave comfort to all others. All others there knew it, including the admin who chose to grovel to those in fucking burkas and carrying begging bowls. I do not think that I left that group was any lost for me. That politically correct group got what they deserved, nothing more, nothing less. And in meanwhile, I can shout
    I have kicked Old Nic balls and told him to fuck off for One wonderful week, five luvly days, 7 bloody hours, 34 misc minutes and 16 odd seconds. of cold turkey after about 45++ years of smoking. 628 cigarettes not smoked, saving $329.74. Life saved: 2 days, 4 hours, 20 minutes.

14. jimbob Cat Moderator

Well, don't feel alone. I recently quit a forum that I had been a member of for many years because the owner wanted to promote his pink pussy cap politics. I just won't be a part of such nonsense.

I'm still smoking.

But you keep on doing your thing.

15. Shanlung Plant

So it was within the first few days, and definately by end of first week the nicotine and by products leeched out of the body. Wish it was as simple as that. The lungs cilias , moving hairs that sweep the iccky things from lungs healed and by 2nd week or so, started to move the ciggie tar and gunk from the lungs. To be coughed out as phlegm loaded with nicotine. That reminded again how good that bloody ciggie had been as the nicotine swept in with each inhalation. Bastard O' Nic is giving me his mind fucks. Making me wanting to fucking crawl on the ground at times. Luckily not all the time. The time to time can be bad enough and I had to resist any time from a few seconds to 5 minutes. When my still smoking friends had to walk out of restaurant from time to time for ciggies such as today lunch at Karu banana leaf curry at Sime Darby Center 5th floor ( Very very good curry I endorse for all that love curry), I walked out with them to stay downwind to inhale the smoke that may blow my way. They all offered me ciggie. But they all know of my 2 opened packs of ciggies at home that I could have taken at any time but did not take. My refusal to take their ciggies went down very well with them. As smokers, they knew of the fight I am having. Which I can now say to one and all I passed the 2nd major milestone . I have kicked Old Nic balls and told him to fuck off for Three wonderful weeks, 2 bloody hours, 59 misc minutes and 48 odd seconds. of cold turkey after about 45++ years of smoking. 1077 cigarettes not smoked, saving $565.60. Life saved: 3 days, 17 hours, 45 minutes.

16. Shanlung Plant

Barrie Lynn in facebook said, I haven't had a cig since Sept 21 and you, without knowing, helped motivate me to quit. You can do this!

I replied in Facebook.

Barrie Lynn , I might have done my quit in silence by myself. But God and the Great Tao knows, quitting smoking is bloody easy. It is the staying on the bloody quit that is tough and can drive one crazy.
    I decided quite swiftly to do my quit publicly.

Partly as I know those thinking of quitting might like to try that even if not now, some time in the future.
    I also went public as to draw on the energy of those who want me to remain in the quit.
    I forgot the other party, such as you who already on the quit, and need the reminding how
    bloody difficult it was in the early days and early weeks so as not to lose the quit that you already on.

Last night after dinner at New Rasa Singapura at Tanglin Post Office with my wife and son (very very good local food there) , we went to Tanglin Mall for coffee at Starbucks. And to pick up the munchies that I needed so much to keep mouth busy during the sporadic surges of desire induced by Bastard O' Nic before my kick got his balls. Got dried Taiwanese Prunes & Seedless sweet sour prunes, preserved dried lemon slices, preserved sweet sour prunes, dried mangoes and a bunch of cookies and TimTams.

This lonely path through the garden of pain I am walking on is made that much less painful knowing that I am not walking alone.
    THANK YOU ALL EVERY ONE OF YOU.

I have kicked Old Nic balls and told him to fuck off for Three wonderful weeks, three luvly days, 7 bloody hours, 44 misc minutes and 39 odd seconds. of cold turkey after about 45++ years of smoking. 1240 cigarettes not smoked, saving $651.23. Life saved: 4 days, 7 hours, 20 minutes.

jimbob likes this.
  17. Selena Bacteria

Oh no, that's too bad...I quit 9 years ago...everybody should quit. Even if you don't get lung cancer, you will have COPD and/or emphysema.

It's not easy but if I could do it so can all of you who smoke.

It's also expensive and becoming harder and harder to find places that allow it...at least in the US.

jimbob likes this.
  18. Shanlung Plant

I passed on into the month since I stopped smoking. Folks will know that Bastard o' Nic can no longer win me at this point. Folks will also know I can still lose to that Bastard O' Nic at this point. I did not recall any fight in the last week where I got to resist like crazy. Passing of time is like the calender marching on. If I had not set up Silkquit to count, I would not have known of the days that gone by.

I have kicked Old Nic balls and told him to fuck off for One incredible month, one luvly day, 21 bloody hours, 51 misc minutes and 52 odd seconds. of cold turkey after about 45++ years of smoking. 1525 cigarettes not smoked, saving $800.85. Life saved: 5 days, 7 hours, 5 minutes.

Selena likes this.
  19. jimbob Cat Moderator

Good on you for hanging in there with your goal.

Selena likes this.
  20. Shanlung Plant

Dispelling those with puerile curiosity if I gone back to Bastard O' Nic!

I have kicked Old Nic balls and told him to fuck off for One incredible month, three wonderful weeks, 21 bloody hours, 39 misc minutes and 58 odd seconds. of cold turkey after about 45++ years of smoking. 2545 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,336.13. Life saved: 1 week, 1 day, 20 hours, 5 minutes.

jimbob likes this.