Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

Adults Who Parent Too Much

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Jason76, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Some adults parent too much. Soon they want to parent other adults, even ones with sound minds. :rolleyes:

Also, in regards to kids, they're trying to be super-parents, health fanatics and the like, but only alienate kids, especially teenagers.

2. jimbob Cat Moderator

True that. There are many wannabee leaders out there. No adults will follow them so they practice on children.

Ah! The power!!!

3. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Never marry a schoolteacher. My two brothers are married to one, respectively. They're both are very bossy and judgemental people, and the husbands are also the same.

jimbob likes this.
  4. Quality Checked Bird Moderator

Some parents need to do a lot more parenting (and they almost never understand that fact) and others need to do a lot less, and they don't get it either. When I was growing up back in the Pleistocene Era most children had a lot of time on their hands. Electronic games, computers, the internet, cable television, portable cassette players, MP3, etc. were all in the future, unthought of, unexpected. Entertainment options were simpler. Of course, I grew up in a very small town where the options were even more limited.

Today I see most children scheduled for some assortment of dance, soccer, hockey, figure skating, music, chess, little league, languages, and so forth, every day. The parents, of course, have to cart the children around from various place to more place. And this doesn't include regular school

When do the children get time to figure out how to think for and amuse themselves? When do they just sit in a corner and read, or daydream?

It's lunatic.

jimbob likes this.
  5. Jason76 Cat Moderator

On one hand parents who care too little, and on the other too much. I have noticed in some families you can just tell the teenagers never developed the ability to think for themselves.

jimbob likes this.
  6. jimbob Cat Moderator

Good direction this thread is taking. How is a child to develop a sense of self if they are always under the direction of someone older than they are and are always being told what to do?

ray likes this.
  7. Jason76 Cat Moderator

Yuppies don't realize how evil they are. Watch them also on Facebook blabbing away, not knowing serial killers are stalking them. :mad:

8. jimbob Cat Moderator

I didn't get involved with the beatniks, hippies, or yuppies.

I'll do my own thing.

9. DR KOKIL AGARWAL Molecule

Very true..Some people think that they are super parents that have raised up gems. Every child is special to their parents and one has no right to guide others how they should raise their kids until and unless they are asked to render advice.

Every child is different and so is every parent and their personal surroundings. Even two kids living in the same household might differ badly. So this is my humble request to all those who think that they are perfect parents that please mind your own business and stay out when not asked to intrude.

I might sound harsh but such people are really troubling me these days and I'm really pissed off.

Stop controlling the lives of your kids every now and then. Let them allow to learn from their mistakes. Let them breathe free and learn about themselves. It is their childhood and please don't take it away from them.

10. Decentlady Bacteria

I guess they are just trying to protect their children but end up being overprotective.

I am sure they mean well but it comes out differently. Today's kids are difficult to upbring. They are more arrogant, disrespectful and less obidient than yesteryear children. So, I guess the difference in parenting.

11. ray Bacteria

I think it's different in different countries so we cannot blame them or praise them. Like back in my original country the kids need extra parenting since the situation demands that and here where I live over-parenting is looked down or considered bad.

12. kingcool52 Molecule

I think micromanaging your kid is awful. They need some freedom and if you don't give this to your children then you're robbing them of a good lifestyle as a child/teenager and you're also not properly preparing them for the future. I think it's important that kids are able to learn how to deal with certain situations without having their parents intefer