Welcome to Discuss Truth forums!

Would you like to join in discussion? Click here to sign up and become a part of our community today!

2 Black holes spiralling to their death and rebirth

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Shanlung, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Shanlung Plant

I cannot place this into philosophy.
    Neither can I place this in religion or science.
    Since we have been told Other can be used if it cannot be fit into anywhere else, so here it is.

This is actually part of a conversation where I use Idiotic Taoist as my handle.
    The entire conversation, if you want to read it in that context is here
    What Results Do People Here Have From Training?

I just read an article which touches on an entry I made in above in end May 2015

And I read something this morning to add on to what I wrote 3 months ago.
    That what I said in passing actually happening now

2 black holes spiralling to their deaths, or rebirths.

Black Holes Slug it Out in Quasar Deathmatch
    [​IMG]

Ah!!
    To get that ringside seat!
    Taoistic Idiot yearning for that ringside seat

KenBrace likes this.
  2. jimbob Cat Moderator

That would be an interesting event to observe at a distance to be able to see what exactly happens.

Given that if these were two stars, when the do collide there will be one heck of an explosion and star stuff would be scattered everywhere.

But these are black holes. Nothing can escape from either. Likely one is more massive than the other so logic tells me that the more massive would consume the small and that would be the end of the event.

KenBrace likes this.
  3. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Ah yes! That would be awesome to watch. Though it might be better if you could slow your thinking processes down significantly so as to speed up time. Otherwise it would look completely still and you'd be sitting there for an awfully long time.

4. jimbob Cat Moderator

Hehehe. Well, I won't be sitting in my recliner waiting for it to happen.

5. Shanlung Plant

More on those 2 black holes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...last-100-million-times-bigger-supernovae.html
    Cosmic death spiral: Monster black holes in distant galaxy are set to collide with a blast 100 million times larger than a supernovae
    The black holes are orbiting each other in a space not much bigger than our own solar system at nearly seven per cent of the speed of light.

6. jimbob Cat Moderator

Well, with that amount of time left the larger one might just gradually consume the smaller one. There might not be enough of the smaller one left to cause any great explosion. Maybe just a Big Burp.

KenBrace likes this.
  7. Shanlung Plant

Well.... One can only wait and see what will happen.
    My advise is not to hold your breath while waiting for that event to take place.

KenBrace likes this.
  8. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yeah, I would likely have to convert to Buddhism so I could reincarnate and see it happen. After all, a million years is a pretty long time.

9. Shanlung Plant

Nah!

They stab into the dark with that guess of 1 k k years.
    Other gurus and boffins said it might likely be 20k to 230k years, likely to be 100 k years, a lot less than that 1kk years.
    Even so, my advice not to hold your breath waiting for that is still valid.

10. jimbob Cat Moderator

It's true though. Talking about the future is always guess work. Even with the best predictions and planning, shit still happens.

But still, observing such an event would be very interesting. Well, for me, at least.

11. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Interesting article. It sucks that I won't be around to watch that event. It certainly will be spectacular.

12. Shanlung Plant

Dont worry.

Remember at one time, and even so not that long time back, we were not even sure if other suns got planets around them. Then they got to looking with instruments and telescopes bigger and more refined. And they found suns after suns after suns with planets revolving about them including planets in that Goldilock zones likely to sustain life. To the point they felt now planets are everywhere.

With the current discovery of black holes spiralling to their deaths and rebirths, something I could only guess at wildly, they know now clearly what to look for. Further more with the LIGO systems, on Earth and outside Earth, getting more and more refined to discover gravitational waves, we are likely to find more and more black holes in their death dances. Maybe to implode or explode within our lifetimes. When a simple sun going nova or supernova can be brighter than the entire galaxy that they are in, even the wildest guess cannot imagine what black holes can do. Which ever case, that will be out of the world.

A said, do not hold your breath waiting for that either.

KenBrace likes this.
  13. KenBrace Bird Administrator

Very true. Maybe I will get to watch the epic collision of two black holes.

Actually here's an interesting thought.

Those two black holes probably already collided millions of years ago. The light just hasn't reached us yet. According to their estimate, it will in about a million years.

14. jimbob Cat Moderator

Yep. That's something we need to keep in mind when viewing things far, far away. We are looking at history, not the present. Even our sun, we are seeing how it was 8 minutes ago.

15. KenBrace Bird Administrator

That's one of the most fascinating things about space that I know of.

I honestly don't understand how a Christian can understand this and still believe that the universe is only 6,000 years old. :eek:

jimbob likes this.
  16. Shanlung Plant

What more can I say.
    Other than I was first a Methodist, kind of captive audience in a Methodist missionary school. Than I become a Roman Catholic.
    I was much disliked by both as the questions I raised were impossible for my teachers to answer, and neither could the Father answer them.
    But now as I have said, I am a simple Taoist.

How I came to be on that road of the Tao might well shock you nice folks here. So I best leave that alone especially so as I cannot even tell you less of Taoism that what might happen when those 2 black holes collide after their death spirals.

jimbob likes this.
  17. Shanlung Plant

That galaxy where that those 2 black holes are/were at the center about 600 million light years away.
    Which meant what happened happened. What happened 600 million years ago just reached us. Just that the event still on its way to us.
    What happening there right now at this point in time will reach us 600 million years from now.

Just like the saying the giant tree that fell in the heart of the forest never did fall if no one heard it falling or seen it falling.
    Cannot even put that as philosophy, can only be placed in off topic

KenBrace and jimbob like this.
  18. Shanlung Plant

19. KenBrace Bird Administrator

20. Shanlung Plant

Might well be a bang that makes a supernova appear like a little birthday candle compared with a 50 megaton nuclear bomb